Olga Peretyatko's new Melodiya CD

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Olga Peretyatko's new Melodiya CD

Post by Lance » Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:37 am

MELODIYA 1002660
Brand new from Moscow ... I don't know how they are getting their products distributed, but I was very much wanting Olga Peretyatko's new Songs for Maya CD with Semjon Skigin, pianist. Peretyatko recently gave birth to a daughter and the preparation for the birth brought forth this CD for her daughter, Maya. 21 tracks come in at 74:08. For all intents and purposes, this would be considered an album of lullabies. Composers? They are abundant and include Mozart, Schumann, Balakirev, Dvorak, Wagner, Gounod, Ives, Tosti, Chun, Gershwin (yes, Summertime!), Kosaku, Mendelssohn, Reger, Wolf, Gretchaninov, Bizet, Brahms, Puccini, Falla, Tchaikovsky, Pimenta, Santaro, and what I find to be very special, an 8:50 piece composed by Olga Peretyatko and pianist Semjon Shkigin. Highly unusual and most interesting to hear. Aside from the accompaniment of the piano, Peretyatko overdubs her voice to give a "two-singer" affect. Also added are bells and such that would appeal to a baby who is taking longer to fall asleep (hence 8:50!). Being Russian may not be in favor at the moment, but regarding music, art prevails. Peretyatko has a stunningly gorgeous voice. In this gatefold CD, the singer writes: "I welcome my baby into our complicated world with these most pure and tender expressions of love. I am overwhelmed with an intense feeling of joy and acceptance and want to share it with everyone." Incidentally, first-class accompaniments and excellent sonics throughout the CD. ♫
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Re: Olga Peretyatko's new Melodiya CD

Post by maestrob » Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:45 am

Thank-you, Lance! You always come up with wonderful rarities, so I'll give this a try soon. :D

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Olga Peretyatko's new Melodiya CD

Post by Lance » Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:43 am

Olga Peretyatko is fast becoming one of my favourite sopranos on today's music scene. Today, my fifth Sony Classical disc [91905] arrived today, entitled "Mozart+". I don't know how I missed this one inasmuch as it was issued by Sony Classical/Germany in 2019. That gives me five Sony CDs plus her newest one on Melodiya that originally prompted this thread. This disc contains almost 60 minutes of works by Mozart and his contemporaries: Tommaso Traetta, Vicente Martin y Soler, and Giovanni Paisiello. Olga is superbly supported on this disc by the Basel Symphony Orchestra under Ivor Bolton. Peretyatko's voice is silvery-bright, clear and well-focused. Given the problems with the Ukrainian/Russian situation, I am sure these Russian artists are greatly affected ... such a pity in so many ways.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]