Here's an odd question for you!

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Here's an odd question for you!

Post by Lance » Mon May 15, 2023 10:10 pm

All of us have our favorite performing artists. Sometimes, we tend to be fanatical about them. For me, for example, Artur Rubinstein, Vladimir Horowitz, Benno Moiseiwitsch, Myra Hess, Heifetz, Milstein, Caballé, Rita Streich, Stokowski, Beecham ... and that's just a few! I was trying to determine how many individual CDs I have for one particular artist and almost fell over when I made a count. This can include any instrumentalist, singer, conductor, etc.

1) Take a GUESS as to WHO that artist might be for me (and I will tell you the number of individual discs/CDs).
2) Who is YOUR most collected performing artist among your collection?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Holden Fourth

Re: Here's an odd question for you!

Post by Holden Fourth » Mon May 15, 2023 10:37 pm

If you bought the 142 CD Pink Box and/or the 94 CD Rubinstein Collection I'd hazard a guess that this is the artist most represented in your collection.

AR also wins out for me because of the big box but Richter came surprisingly closer than expected.

barney

Post by barney » Tue May 16, 2023 12:32 am

That's a good guess, Ric, but I don't reckon Lance would put Rubinstein first if it were him.

I'm going to guess Reiner. Lance has been collecting since Reiner was in short pants! :D

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue May 16, 2023 3:07 pm

Geez, I thought there would be far more responses. I hate to tell you this, it's embarrassing. But it's Sviatoslav Richter with approaching 700 individual discs. Bear in mind, lots of repetitions of identical performances but also with other material not available elsewhere. I must be crazy!

His labels include Sony/Columbia, RCA Victor, EMI, DGG, Decca, Phillips, Andante, Andromeda, Ankh, Aquarius, Archipel, AS Disc, Aulos/Melodiya, Aura, BBC Legends, BBC Magazine, Brilliant Classics, Cascavelle, Delos/Great Hall, Disky, Doremi, Electrecord, Ermitage, Eurodisc, Gruppo Edit Bramante, Hanssler, ICA Classics, Icone, King, Laurel, Leningrad Masters, Live Classics, Membran, Memoria, MK, Monitor, Monopole, Multisonic, Music & Arts, Musical Concepts, Naxos Historical, Notes, Olympia, Orfeo, Palexa, Parnassus, Praga, Preiser, Private-Philadelphia Orchestra, Regis, Revelation, Russian CD (RCD), Russian Disc, Russian Masters, Stradivarius, Supraphon, Teldec/Warner/Erato, Urania, VAI, Vanguard, Warner/Maestro, West Hills Archive, Yedang, and Zenith.

I don't know any other artist whose music is available on so many different labels. Throughout the process, some transfers are better than others. Melodiya was licensed to other labels, Eurodisc as well.

Too bad I cannot take it all with me to the Great Beyond!!! :(
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

barney

Post by barney » Tue May 16, 2023 6:10 pm

Lance wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 3:07 pm

You won't need it there, Lance. You'll presumably have the bloke himself, without all the hang-ups! And God's spotify list will be perfect. :lol:
I did think of Richter, when pondering your question. I was just wrong!
What cataloguing system do you use, Lance. I use Excel, but I wouldn't have a clue how tofind out how many CDs I have of a performer.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Wed May 17, 2023 12:23 am

You are very encouraging about the Great Beyond, Barney. If we have all we have here, it must be there, too, in some form! Just think it and it will arrive in the mind's ears.

A long time ago, Microsoft had a program called "Works." It blended together a number of programs for word processing (like Word), a program (like Excel) and other things. I only used it to create a listing that could be manipulated in many ways. I created a form/template and typed all the relevant information about each CD or set. (It is created in an horizontal position to make each entry longer.) The columns are set up to show label name, catalogue number, predominant artists, with the longest column showing what the contents are on the CD; it also includes other pertinent information such as conductor, singer or other artists. I then save it all. Once that is accomplished, I can sort any way I choose. If I want to see all recordings by Rubinstein, I say FIND: Rubinstein, Arthur, and everything shows up. The page(s) are viewable and/or printable. I always sort by label, however many I manifest at one time, and the sort features put everything in place. I can add or delete at any time. If it is a 60-CD set, I may use 60 lines so that I can also hunt for repertoire. I abbreviate most everything: concerto=cto; piano=pno; violin=vln; conductor=cond; cello=clo; soprano=soprano; mezzo-soprano=m/s; bass-baritone=bb, etc. You get the idea. I abbreviate in order to get as much information on one line as possible. (I use 10-point condensed type.)

I would like to use Excel since I have it, but, near as I know, there is no way to transfer all the work that I've done in the now out-of-production "Works" program to transfer it all to Excel. It has worked for me swimmingly all these years since CDs became available. When I prepared a program on Arlene Augér, she has recorded for a number of labels. I typed: FIND - Augér and every recording I have of hers showed up, 47 items including opera, oratorio, recitals, lieder, etc.

It came down to this: if you can't FIND the disc easily, you can't enjoy it or program it. I really had to customize my template to include the most important information for me. It avoids duplication of buying discs you think you don't have and also lets you know you do have it!

I also know there are software products on the market where you can scan the CD bar code and it will print out everything for you. That goes beyond what I need and doing it that way would take a lot of space on a computer, and worse if you had to print it.

Here's another example. If I want to find a Mendelssohn Elijah oratorio in my collection, I just type Elijah. Now, if anything else has the name Elijah in it, that will come up as well. You can quickly look for just the oratorio or its excerpts. Over the years, I've collected 17 of them and they all illustrate the label/number, all-inclusive artists and conductors, etc..

Does any of this appeal to you? Naturally, you have to be a fast and accurate typist especially with catalogue numbers. But if you start now with your 45,000 entries on Excel, and work a couple hours each day, before you know it, it's all done! Also remember to press the SAVE button after each session!
barney wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 6:10 pm
Lance wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 3:07 pm

You won't need it there, Lance. You'll presumably have the bloke himself, without all the hang-ups! And God's spotify list will be perfect. :lol:
I did think of Richter, when pondering your question. I was just wrong!
What cataloguing system do you use, Lance. I use Excel, but I wouldn't have a clue how tofind out how many CDs I have of a performer.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Seán

Post by Seán » Wed May 17, 2023 7:19 am

Lance wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 12:23 am
You are very encouraging about the Great Beyond, Barney. If we have all we have here, it must be there, too, in some form! Just think it and it will arrive in the mind's ears.

A long time ago, Microsoft had a program called "Works." It blended together a number of programs for word processing (like Word), a program (like Excel) and other things. I only used it to create a listing that could be manipulated in many ways. I created a form/template and typed all the relevant information about each CD or set. (It is created in an horizontal position to make each entry longer.) The columns are set up to show label name, catalogue number, predominant artists, with the longest column showing what the contents are on the CD; it also includes other pertinent information such as conductor, singer or other artists. I then save it all. Once that is accomplished, I can sort any way I choose. If I want to see all recordings by Rubinstein, I say FIND: Rubinstein, Arthur, and everything shows up. The page(s) are viewable and/or printable. I always sort by label, however many I manifest at one time, and the sort features put everything in place. I can add or delete at any time. If it is a 60-CD set, I may use 60 lines so that I can also hunt for repertoire. I abbreviate most everything: concerto=cto; piano=pno; violin=vln; conductor=cond; cello=clo; soprano=soprano; mezzo-soprano=m/s; bass-baritone=bb, etc. You get the idea. I abbreviate in order to get as much information on one line as possible. (I use 10-point condensed type.)

I would like to use Excel since I have it, but, near as I know, there is no way to transfer all the work that I've done in the now out-of-production "Works" program to transfer it all to Excel. It has worked for me swimmingly all these years since CDs became available. When I prepared a program on Arlene Augér, she has recorded for a number of labels. I typed: FIND - Augér and every recording I have of hers showed up, 47 items including opera, oratorio, recitals, lieder, etc.

It came down to this: if you can't FIND the disc easily, you can't enjoy it or program it. I really had to customize my template to include the most important information for me. It avoids duplication of buying discs you think you don't have and also lets you know you do have it!

I also know there are software products on the market where you can scan the CD bar code and it will print out everything for you. That goes beyond what I need and doing it that way would take a lot of space on a computer, and worse if you had to print it.

Here's another example. If I want to find a Mendelssohn Elijah oratorio in my collection, I just type Elijah. Now, if anything else has the name Elijah in it, that will come up as well. You can quickly look for just the oratorio or its excerpts. Over the years, I've collected 17 of them and they all illustrate the label/number, all-inclusive artists and conductors, etc..

Does any of this appeal to you? Naturally, you have to be a fast and accurate typist especially with catalogue numbers. But if you start now with your 45,000 entries on Excel, and work a couple hours each day, before you know it, it's all done! Also remember to press the SAVE button after each session!
Hi Lance, I really enjoyed reading this thread and your last sentence above is just priceless and spot on too.
Seán

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler

neilnw

Post by neilnw » Wed May 17, 2023 8:42 pm

I finally have my answer to the second part of Lance's query, mainly on what artist is the most represented in my collection. After a few hours of tabulations--using my second laptop's massive library, and its handy stats feature in its Windows Media Library--I have found numero uno, by far, is......

EUGENE ORMANDY

He leads the pack wayyyy out in front with 101.5 CDs, totaling in terms of time 117.75 hours.

Far behind are Neeme Jarvi, with 55 CDs, 60.5 hours; Gerard Schwarz, with 49 CDs, 64.5 hours; and Toscanini, 46 CDs, 48.5 hours.

Jarvi and Schwarz are represented mainly through concert airchecks--Detroit Sym., Seattle Sym.
Good music is that which falls upon the ear with ease and quits the memory with difficulty.
--Sir Thomas Beecham

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Thu May 18, 2023 2:13 am

Neil, Ormandy ... that doesn't surprise me! The man recorded prolifically. Like you, I have way too much on record with the man. Did you ever get his massive Columbia/Sony "Legacy" 120-CD collection [75748], which contains all (I believe it's all) of his mono and 78-rpm recordings? If you have that and the RCA 11-CD boxed set [95239] of his Minneapolis Symphony recordings, that alone accounts for many grand recordings by the conductor. Add to that all his stereo recordings, and the Ormandy discography is hugely comprehensive. Among collectors, Ormandy is finally getting his due from many collectors.
neilnw wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 8:42 pm
I finally have my answer to the second part of Lance's query, mainly on what artist is the most represented in my collection. After a few hours of tabulations--using my second laptop's massive library, and its handy stats feature in its Windows Media Library--I have found numero uno, by far, is......

EUGENE ORMANDY

He leads the pack wayyyy out in front with 101.5 CDs, totaling in terms of time 117.75 hours.

Far behind are Neeme Jarvi, with 55 CDs, 60.5 hours; Gerard Schwarz, with 49 CDs, 64.5 hours; and Toscanini, 46 CDs, 48.5 hours.

Jarvi and Schwarz are represented mainly through concert airchecks--Detroit Sym., Seattle Sym.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Thu May 18, 2023 2:41 am

Thank you, Séan! That last statement I feel is ultra-important! How many times have we spent a lot of time on a project and FORGET to press the save button. The second time one tries, it never is as good as the first time because frustration gets in the way.
Seán wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 7:19 am
Lance wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 12:23 am

Hi Lance, I really enjoyed reading this thread and your last sentence above is just priceless and spot on too.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

mikealdren

Post by mikealdren » Thu May 18, 2023 3:27 am

My favourite artist, Oistrakh, appears on my labels like Richter and, as a result, I have 126 CDs that include him (plus LPs and his chamber recordings), but there are lots of duplicates in the total of 119 hours. It's much easier to asses, for instance, Heifetz (RCA) or Grumiaux (Universal) whose work is now largely in boxes without (or with few) duplicates.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu May 18, 2023 8:45 am

Lance, I've been busy for a few days and thus just saw this thread this morning.

While I have no way of tabulating the exact number of CDs, my educated guess would be that Eugene Ormandy has pride of place as my #1 artist, especially since I did acquire the excellent Columbia Legacy box with all his mono recordings for that label. Two pianists come to mind as well: Sviatoslav Richter and Martha Argerich, as I own multiple boxes from both artists. Finally David Oistrakh would figure prominently, as well as Alfred Brendel and Murray Perahia.

So much music and so little room on the shelves! :wink:

AS for keeping track of our collections, thank-you for posting about your program for doing so. I admire your stamina! I've been ripping my collection using dBPoweramp for a couple of years now, and using Microsoft search to find recordings to listen to. The only drawback is that there is no way to enter catalog numbers in that program, but searching for specific artists is a breeze. It's the project of a lifetime, keeping track of our collections, isn't it? :D

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Fri May 19, 2023 12:56 am

Yes, it is a lifetime task. We really never get to the end of it because you find something that never got posted. It helps to type 125 words/minute, probably a bit less now due to some finger arthritis, but still pretty fast. I learned to type in junior high school and took it exceedingly seriously. I should have done the same with the keys of a piano! :oops: Insofar as catalogue numbers are concerned, that is one of the most important ingredients of cataloguing. If you have a major collection, it might be difficult to find in a hurry. As for ever-growing collections, I keep telling myself: STOP. But then something comes along (like the unreleased Jessye Norman discs), and becomes a must-have. Quite honestly, I have curtailed the acquisitions substantially but not totally. I swear to myself, no more Beethoven 9 or Brahms 4, or Schumann 4, or another Vivaldi Four Seasons, etc. Pianists get top priority but I am still largely giving the pianists of the past top picks and other historical artists. Then there's Hamelin, Viner, Hough and anything from Argerich and a host of others. I'm glad I have so much lieder in my collection because that is the one area that has not grown much on our turf that I find of interest. Truly, truly: enjoy what you have amassed. We have been blessed!

quote=maestrob post_id=536242 time=1684417521 user_id=5200]
{Truncated}
AS for keeping track of our collections, thank-you for posting about your program for doing so. I admire your stamina! I've been ripping my collection using dBPoweramp for a couple of years now, and using Microsoft search to find recordings to listen to. The only drawback is that there is no way to enter catalog numbers in that program, but searching for specific artists is a breeze. It's the project of a lifetime, keeping track of our collections, isn't it? :D
[/quote]
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief