Opera News To Shut Down !

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

THEHORN

Opera News To Shut Down !

Post by THEHORN » Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:10 pm

Unfortunately , Opera News magazine, which has been in existence for some 87 years , will publish its last issue this November . The magazine will be incorporated into the English magazine Opera . I've been a subscriber for many years and have been reading Opera News for over 50 years since I was a teenager .
While I haven't always agreed with opinions expressed in the magazine, it's always been extremely interesting to read and. the contributors have always been highly knowledgable people . The interviews with leading opera singers , conductors , directors , designers and administrators , as well as talented up and coming ones , have always been stimulating .

Rach3

Re: Opera News To Shut Down !

Post by Rach3 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:22 pm

LeBrecht's take:

Opera chat-sites have been remarkably dry-eyed at the closure of Opera News, the artform’s only print medium in America.

With a print-run of 32,000, of which only 9,000 were paid subscribers, the magazine’s days were numbered, its impact constricted. Whether it can survive as a baby kanga in the pouch of British-based Opera magazine is an open question. The Met has lost an historic shop-window. Over time it may have cause for regret but the realities are inescapable.

The mourners are freelance writers who received glossy exposure, PRs who have lost a showcase and divas who have nowhere else to turn.

Are there other lessons to learn?

Not many.

America has bee unable to sustain a monthly dedicated to any aspect of classical music – be it recordings, opera or concerts. Strings magazine, which knows its sector and stays close to the bridge, is the lone survivor and always well worth a read.