Maestro Accused of Striking Singer at Performance Apologizes

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:12 am

John Eliot Gardiner expressed regret after he was accused of lashing out at a singer after a concert in France, and he withdrew from the rest of a planned tour.

John Eliot Gardiner conducting “Les Troyens” at the Festival Berlioz in La Côte-Saint-André, France.Credit...Bruno Moussier

By Javier C. Hernández
Aug. 24, 2023

The renowned conductor John Eliot Gardiner, who drew widespread criticism this week after he was accused of hitting a singer after a performance in France, apologized on Thursday, saying that he had lost his temper and that “physical violence is never acceptable.”

In a statement, Gardiner, 80, said that he had apologized to the singer, William Thomas, 28, and that he would withdraw from the remaining concerts on a European tour with two of his venerated ensembles, the Monteverdi Choir and the Orchestre Révolutionnaire et Romantique. The incident occurred Tuesday night after a concert performance of the first two acts of Berlioz’s opera “Les Troyens” at the Festival Berlioz in La Côte-Saint-André in southeastern France.

“I deeply regret the incident which occurred at the Festival Berlioz at La Côte-Saint-André on Tuesday evening and apologize unreservedly for losing my temper immediately after the performance,” Gardiner said in the statement. “I make no excuses for my behavior and have apologized personally to Will Thomas, for whom I have the greatest respect. I do so again, and to the other artists, for the distress that this has caused.”

“I know that physical violence is never acceptable and that musicians should always feel safe,” he added. “I ask for your patience and understanding as I take time to reflect on my actions.”

Gardiner provoked an outcry when, on Tuesday evening, he struck Thomas backstage because he had headed the wrong way off the podium at the concert, according to a person who was granted anonymity to describe the incident because the person was not authorized to discuss it publicly.

After the incident, Gardiner abruptly withdrew from the festival and returned to London to see his doctor, missing a performance on Wednesday night.

Thomas, a rising bass from England who was performing the role of Priam, was not seriously injured and performed on Wednesday.

On Thursday, Askonas Holt, the agency representing Thomas, confirmed in a statement that an incident had taken place and said that Thomas would continue to take part in the tour, which will next head to the Salzburg Festival in Austria, the Opéra Royal in Versailles, the Berliner Festspiele in Germany and the Proms, the BBC’s classical music festival, in England. The agency said Thomas would not comment on the incident.

“All musicians deserve the right to practice their art in an environment free from abuse or physical harm,” the statement said.

The Monteverdi Choir & Orchestras, a nonprofit that oversees Gardiner’s ensembles, said in a statement on Thursday that Dinis Sousa, an associate conductor with the organization, would replace Gardiner for the rest of the tour. Sousa had stepped in for Gardiner on Wednesday in France.

“We continue to look into the events that occurred on Tuesday evening,” the group said. “Our values of respect and inclusivity are fundamental to us as a company and we take seriously the welfare of all our performers and employees.’’

Gardiner — a crucial figure in the period-instrument movement and the founder of some of its most treasured ensembles, the Monteverdi Choir, the English Baroque Soloists and the Orchestre Révolutionnaire et Romantique — conducted at the coronation of King Charles III of Britain in May. He has made numerous recordings, many of which are considered classics, and wrote “Bach: Music in the Castle of Heaven” in 2013 about the life and music of Johann Sebastian Bach.

In a 2010 interview with The Financial Times, Gardiner was asked about his famously demanding style.

“Can I protest my innocence?” he said. “I can be impatient, I get stroppy, I haven’t always been compassionate. I made plenty of mistakes in my early years. But I don’t think I behaved anything like as heinously as you have heard. The way an orchestra is set up is undemocratic. Someone needs to be in charge.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/24/arts ... ology.html

maestrob

Re: Maestro Accused of Striking Singer at Performance Apologizes

Post by maestrob » Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:12 am

Len, I've been hearing rumors about JEG for decades, about his domineering ways in rehearsal. He makes great music, and I have some sympathy for him ("Somebody has to be in charge!"), but obviously this goes too far.

His withdrawal and public apology are obviously just first steps. He has humiliated himself here.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:00 am

maestrob wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:12 am
Len, I've been hearing rumors about JEG for decades, about his domineering ways in rehearsal.
Brian thanks-had no idea he was like that. Regards, Len

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:12 pm

Gardner has dropped out of the tour and BBC Proms:

https://slippedisc.com/2023/08/just-in- ... bbc-proms/

Belle

Post by Belle » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:42 pm

One of my friends (now deceased) was a broadcaster on our national FM network. He was in a relationship with a soprano from the Monteverdi Choir and my friend accompanied them in Europe on the Bach Pilgrimage - at least some of the way. He would often send me rehearsal pictures via email.

In all the 28 years I knew my friend I never heard the slightest disparagement of "Jiggy" Gardiner which had come via the soprano. She was long term permanent in that ensemble and had been there from the first years of the Choir, having retired in about 2005, from memory.

More recently I heard, via our community group, that one of our guests' daughter was an occasional soprano/soloist with the baroque group and she had been called out by "Jiggy" for her bad German pronunciation!!!

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:51 am

What do we have here with Gardiner? Another Toscanini or a Reiner? Look at what those two accomplished with their orchestras! But I can't condone any conductor's misuse of orchestral members — or any artist — in the manner that JEG illustrated here. It truly is time for him to step down - and should have long ago.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:16 am

More thoughts on the "myth" of the necessity of tyrant conductors:

https://wapo.st/3EkiAfO ( free article)

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:35 am

Expectations tend to create an outcome, don't they? I've been hearing about JEG for decades, but punching a singer in the mouth is really beyond the pale. He should retire forthwith.

Unforgiveable.

Even on my worst days, I never got physical. I've had to raise my voice at times in order to get results (It worked every time.), but the idea of striking a singer never entered my mind. Never.

Belle

Post by Belle » Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:58 am

Rach3 wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:16 am
More thoughts on the "myth" of the necessity of tyrant conductors:

https://wapo.st/3EkiAfO ( free article)
I thought exactly the same thing as the author of this article; I remembered those comments from JEG's documentary about Bach's sometimes-combative personality (he recounted Bach hitting a bassoonist, as I recall) and the irony of it wasn't lost on me after this round of criticism about Gardiner. But I do reject the idea of classical music as some kind of fortress which enables maestri to behave badly and, in fact, the author suggests there's even an inevitability about that.

All organizations have their bullies and tyrants; from business/corporations right through to politics, arts organizations, the media, academe (it's bad there), sports and charitable foundations. Both men and women have demonstrated that they'll use bullying to get to the top - particularly in politics - and use that as a strategy to maintain their authority. Louis B. Mayer, Samuel Goldwyn, David O. Selznick, Harry Cohn; these men were serial bullies who presided over large film studios but, at the same time, produced some remarkable cultural artefacts. People like Bette Davis and James Cagney stood up to these bullies and got away with it - because they understood their own corporate value.

I've been bullied in the workplace in my time; sometimes by men, but mostly by women. It's very unpleasant but I used to tell myself they did this because they felt they HAD to, having no alternative skills set to bring to the table. Sometimes it's a matter of standing up to the bully (better if there are a few people), taking the bit between the teeth and having it out.

You see, the bully interprets failure to act as tacit acceptance of his/her behaviour.

barney

Post by barney » Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:38 pm

There's a big difference between a forceful personality, something someone leading more than 100 others in a joint enterprise almost always needs, and bullying.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:19 pm

I haven't seen anything new written about this situation. I'm curious to know what is going on with Mr. Gardiner.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

CharmNewton

Post by CharmNewton » Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:35 am

Lance wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:19 pm
I haven't seen anything new written about this situation. I'm curious to know what is going on with Mr. Gardiner.
The article quoted Mr. Gardiner as having apologized to Mr. Thomas personally as well as to those who witnessed the incident. He also mentioned that he was going to see his doctor. It's possible at his age he is taking medication and may be experiencing unpleasant side effects.

Mr. Gardiner still sounds pretty sharp to me, and this incident seems to have raised his awareness that something is wrong. Hopefully his career will resume positively going forward.

Mr. Thomas had nothing more to say and resumed performing. No mention of discussions with an attorney.

The British musical press will probably have more to say before too long.

John

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:30 am

Thank you, Rach3. That Spectator article paints a vivid picture!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

mikealdren

Post by mikealdren » Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:33 am

CharmNewton wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:35 am
Lance wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:19 pm
The article quoted Mr. Gardiner as having apologized to Mr. Thomas personally as well as to those who witnessed the incident. He also mentioned that he was going to see his doctor. It's possible at his age he is taking medication and may be experiencing unpleasant side effects.

Mr. Gardiner still sounds pretty sharp to me, and this incident seems to have raised his awareness that something is wrong. Hopefully his career will resume positively going forward.

Mr. Thomas had nothing more to say and resumed performing. No mention of discussions with an attorney.

The British musical press will probably have more to say before too long.

John
Sadly it's many years to late for him to be seeking help, he's had a thoroughly unpleasant reputation for years.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:25 am

Just received this email from Carnegie Hall:

Customer Service Announcement
English Baroque Soloists

We are writing to inform you that Dinis Sousa will conduct the English Baroque Soloists with the Monteverdi Choir in place of Sir John Eliot Gardiner, who has withdrawn from all conducting engagements until 2024. Both programs in Stern Auditorium / Perelman Stage remain unchanged, featuring J. S. Bach’s Mass in B Minor on Wednesday, October 25 at 8 PM and Handel’s L’Allegro, il Penseroso ed il Moderato on Thursday, October 26 at 8 PM.

Dinis Sousa is associate conductor of the three Monteverdi ensembles—the first-ever in the history of the Monteverdi Choir and Orchestras. The London-based Portuguese conductor and pianist has worked closely with Sir John Eliot Gardiner, both with his ensembles and with the London Symphony Orchestra, Berliner Philharmoniker, and Tonhalle-Orchester Zürich. Most recently, he stepped in this summer to lead the Monteverdi Choir and Orchestre Révolutionnaire et Romantique on their critically acclaimed European tour of Berlioz’s Les Troyens. This season, Mr. Sousa makes his debut with the Swedish Radio and Iceland symphony orchestras as well as the BBC National Orchestra of Wales, in addition to returning to the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra and Sinfonietta Rīga. He is founder and artistic director of Orquestra XXI, an award-winning ensemble that brings together some of the best young Portuguese musicians from around Europe to perform in the most prestigious venues in Portugal.

Belle

Post by Belle » Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:20 pm

It grieves me to learn about this incident with Jiggy or indeed any great conductor as I regard them as high priests of the art, which is also my "strange god".