Has anyone talked about contra-tenor Michael Spyres?

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Has anyone talked about contra-tenor Michael Spyres?

Post by Lance » Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:22 pm

His new recording on Erato [72934] is excellent, as is just about everything else I've heard from this voice.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

lennygoran

Re: Has anyone talked about contra-tenor Michael Spyres?

Post by lennygoran » Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:59 am

Lance wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:22 pm
His new recording on Erato [72934] is excellent, as is just about everything else I've heard from this voice.
Lance if you do a search you'll see there's plenty of talk about him-his voice is amazing! We saw him last Oct live at the Met as Idomeneo. Regards, Len

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:24 am

Lance wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:22 pm
Spyres was truly excellent in Bellini's Norma at the MET which we saw last season, Lance. I do believe that I've posted comments elsewhere as well on his extremely generous Baritenor album. I have ordered his latest and will report upon opening it!

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:50 pm

I was lazy at that late hour. Guess I should have done a CMG search on Spyres! One of the relatively newer singers with whom I am impressed.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:58 pm

Michael Spyres singing Rossini's " Largo al Factotum " :

At 58:00 in. !!!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001xwcw

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:52 pm

I just heard tonight, Michael Spyres new Erato CD [78798], "In the Shadows," a collection of arias from composers whose work generally fell out of the limelight with Wagner's operas with the exception of Rossini. We have composers Mehul, Beethoven, Rossini, Meyerbeer, Weber, Auber, Spontini, Bellini, Marschner, and of course Wagner. All in a disc approaching 85 minutes in time. This is probably one of the finest operatic recitals I have heard in a long time. You would be hard-pressed to find a tenor on the scene today whose highest notes have a "ring" I haven't heard among super tenors on the scene today, of which Spyres, I place at the top. The Rossini aria from Elisabetta, regina d'Inghilterra, is a huge draw. Julien Henric, tenor, joins Spyres in a duet from Bellini's Norma. First class orchestra and chorus with the Jeune Choeur Paris and the Les Talens Lyriques under Christophe Rousset's direction. Recording quality is exceptional. Another surprise is the world premiere recording (in the original German) of Spontini's Agnes von Hohenstaufen. Spyres concludes the recital with excerpts from three Wagner operas: Die Feen, Rienzi, and Lohengrin. An unusual collection of some unknown arias all rolled into one five-star vocal disc. Brian, I am anxious to find out your thoughts on this recording!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:42 am

Lance wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:52 pm
I just heard tonight, Michael Spyres new Erato CD [78798], "In the Shadows," a collection of arias from composers whose work generally fell out of the limelight with Wagner's operas with the exception of Rossini. We have composers Mehul, Beethoven, Rossini, Meyerbeer, Weber, Auber, Spontini, Bellini, Marschner, and of course Wagner. All in a disc approaching 85 minutes in time. This is probably one of the finest operatic recitals I have heard in a long time. You would be hard-pressed to find a tenor on the scene today whose highest notes have a "ring" I haven't heard among super tenors on the scene today, of which Spyres, I place at the top. The Rossini aria from Elisabetta, regina d'Inghilterra, is a huge draw. Julien Henric, tenor, joins Spyres in a duet from Bellini's Norma. First class orchestra and chorus with the Jeune Choeur Paris and the Les Talens Lyriques under Christophe Rousset's direction. Recording quality is exceptional. Another surprise is the world premiere recording (in the original German) of Spontini's Agnes von Hohenstaufen. Spyres concludes the recital with excerpts from three Wagner operas: Die Feen, Rienzi, and Lohengrin. An unusual collection of some unknown arias all rolled into one five-star vocal disc. Brian, I am anxious to find out your thoughts on this recording!
Lance, I ordered this one from Presto, but they sent my latest shipment without it, claiming it's on backorder at the supplier. NO WONDER! As you know, I don't write a review until I've heard the actual CD, but my preview on Spotify was exceptional!