Eugen Jochum, conductor

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Eugen Jochum, conductor

Post by Lance » Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:36 am

I was listening to some live performance recordings by conductor Eugen Jochum [1902-1987] from a four-CD set recording [Tahra 470-473]. While I never sought his recordings in the manner I did with say, a Furtwangler, Szell or Reiner, Jochum just appeared on recordings in many collaborations, especially in the DG catalogue, though he also recorded for EMI, Philips and other labels. The Tahra set attracted my attention because it included Mozart's Piano Concerto #9 in a 1954 performance with Clara Haskil, a favorite pianist of yours truly. But it also included two performances of Mozart's Symphony #33 in 1948 and 1961, Mozart's Serenade #13, and his Oboe Concerto with Haakon Stotijn, a Brahms Requiem from 1951, Mussorgsky's Dances of Death from 1959 with Kim Borg, a Beethoven Symphony #6 from 1951.

I don't believe we've had much discussion on Eugen Jochum hereon. Any thoughts on what may have been his great contribution to the world of music during his long life. Any outstanding recordings that rank high with you?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

david johnson

Re: Eugen Jochum, conductor

Post by david johnson » Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:30 am

Jochum/Staatskepelle Dresden Bruckner box is an obvious one for me. I also enjoy his Orff/Carmina Burana.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:26 am

Jochum had a very special affinity for Bruckner, as can be found in his recordings of the symphonies in Dresden, recently (2020) remastered. I am particularly fond of his 2CD set of Bruckner's Masses on DGG. His Bruckner cycle recorded mostly with the Berlin Philharmonic for DGG is also particularly fine:

THEHORN

Post by THEHORN » Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:05 pm

Eugen Jochum left so many wonderful recordings . I also admire his DG Meistersinger with. Fischer-Dieskau and. Domingo , the 3 Bruckner masses, also on DG among others .