I was thinking today of John Francis, CMG member

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

I was thinking today of John Francis, CMG member

Post by Lance » Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:15 am

Funny how one thinks of someone ... it was probably because I saw his name on an old thread. John contributed greatly to CMG over the years, and I well remember meeting him at our meetups in New York City. R.I.P. So many wonderful folks we have lost.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Re: I was thinking today of John Francis, CMG member

Post by maestrob » Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:58 am

John Francis was certainly not shy about his opinions here, for sure. We disagreed about as much as we agreed. John seemed to be wholly enamored of the recordings that had made strong impressions on him as a younger man, while I am more attuned to current performances and standards, but he made some interesting recommendations that I learned a lot from.

R. I. P.

Belle

Post by Belle » Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:33 pm

I very much admired John's sense of intellectual inquiry and his musical taste. We disagreed about Mozart and Charles Rosen and, of course, I found his political views anathema to my own. Once upon a time people wouldn't discuss the latter and this enabled them to politely negotiate their relationships in a way which simply isn't possible anymore. Makes you realize why those kinds of social codes existed in the first place.

barney

Post by barney » Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:07 pm

I think anyone with a pulse had a run in or 20 with JohnF. I certainly did. But I really enjoyed his posts and his opinions. I remember visiting him at his library (which one was it?) and enjoying a coffee.
Mind you, we have quite a few characters carrying on the tradition at CMG. Just as well there is also me, with my gently expressed, modest yet highly intelligent opinions to provide a balance. :lol:

barney

Post by barney » Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:08 pm

PS: while we are on late members called John, I also miss Jbuck.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:45 am

Me too, missing JBuck, and also Werner Isler, with whose family I had become friends, and had long phone chats with late at night. Then there was our lawyer friend, Ralph, who loved Ditters von Dittersdorf. Agnes Selby from Australia. The list goes on and they are not forgotten and are sorely missed.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

CharmNewton

Post by CharmNewton » Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:07 pm

Lance wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:45 am
Me too, missing JBuck, and also Werner Isler, with whose family I had become friends, and had long phone chats with late at night. Then there was our lawyer friend, Ralph, who loved Ditters von Dittersdorf. Agnes Selby from Australia. The list goes on and they are not forgotten and are sorely missed.
Recently I also thought of John Francis. He immediately came to mind with the post noting the passing of Yuri Temirkanov, someone he had great admiration for and would occasionally travel to Baltimore to hear conduct. He had a wealth of knowledge and experience that seems was more common in earlier generations.

I often think of Ward as well and recall those audio chats we had in the early days of CMG and forum on MSN (and how quickly they devolved off-topic).

Can't hear Baroque music (and earlier) and not think of Corlyss.

Speaking of chats, the technology is far better today with video and it might be something to consider today with software like Microsoft Teams, Zoom and who knows what else. With video, they aren't as likely to go the rails.

John

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:07 am

Lance wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:15 am
I well remember meeting him at our meetups in New York City. R.I.P. So many wonderful folks we have lost.
Lance Sue and I had so many dinners and get togethers with him over the years. He really helped me over the years along with other knowledgeable people when it came to opera-the compuserve forum. He needed space in his Broklyn apartment and gave us some of his LP's and ever laser dics and a laser disc machine! Regards, Len :lol:

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:12 am

barney wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:08 pm
PS: while we are on late members called John, I also miss Jbuck.
Barney so do I-we had a wonderful lunch with him up in the upper Hudson area one time where the Hudson River is just a stream and of course we met him at dinners when he came down to NYC. I was shocked when his sister informed me of his death. :( Regards, Len

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:17 am

Lance wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:45 am
Me too, missing JBuck, and also Werner Isler, with whose family I had become friends, and had long phone chats with late at night. Then there was our lawyer friend, Ralph, who loved Ditters von Dittersdorf.

Lance, when I first joined the CMG forum Sue and I were invited to the dinner at the Italian restaurant near the Time Warner Center [Columbus Circle] We were seated at the same table with John, the Islers and Ralph-the first and only time I ever got to talk to him! Of course you were there as well and lots of other people. Regards, Len

Donald Isler

Post by Donald Isler » Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:22 am

I miss them all, too! I know Dad enjoyed his late night talks with Lance. He also had an ongoing correspondence with Agnes. They discussed their differences, ie politics, but also had things in common, ie children who were musicians, an interest in the concert world of the time, and their memories of World War II, which they experienced in different ways (Dad, as a soldier in the American army in Europe, and Agnes as a Jewish Holocaust survivor in Slovakia, who lived in a ditch for the better part of a year before it was safe to come out)
Donald Isler

barney

Post by barney » Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:01 pm

I was reading recently about a rather beautiful native American Indian concept called "second death". The second death is when someone says your name for the last time. So these lamented champions of CMG live on!

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:58 am

Beautifully put, and so right! In looking at our roster of CMG members from the beginning, one wonders why we do not see so many now that were regular participants. Aside from leaving mother Earth, where have they gone? I know we are living in an ever-changing (is it ever!) world, but some parts of it should not change. I also know there are many lurkers who choose not to participate actively.
barney wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:01 pm
I was reading recently about a rather beautiful native American Indian concept called "second death". The second death is when someone says your name for the last time. So these lamented champions of CMG live on!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Belle

Post by Belle » Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:09 am

Whatever happened to that superb Englishman, Absinthe?

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:39 am

I wish I knew. I communicated often with Absinthe privately on many occasions. I may look for his email address and see if we can lure him (or her) back. There are a few others I may attempt to contact. They must still love music unless they have departed to ... elsewhere.
Belle wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:09 am
Whatever happened to that superb Englishman, Absinthe?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Heck148

Post by Heck148 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:58 pm

I remember John F. - I met him once in Boston - very nice meeting....I enjoyed his views, well-written....didn't always agree with him. but that's perfectly fine....
I remember Ralph Stein as well, knew him online from way-back, many sites ago...
Can't say I miss the likes of J Powell [ansertmaniac] or m. shaffer [ Mforever, mischa, etc], both of whom have passed away....they made rmcr basically uninhabitable....really abrasive creatures....

cliftwood

Post by cliftwood » Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:41 pm

:D Speaking about names to remember..

Gene Barnes, Bob Zeidler,John Ball,Peter Czipott,Brian Conway,Ric Cashman,Tpm Dillingham,Don Del Maso,A.C Douglas.....

Many brilliant and scintillating people who graced this forum in the past...I miss them all.

There's many more. of course. :D

Holden Fourth

Post by Holden Fourth » Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:18 am

cliftwood wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:41 pm

Gene Barnes, Bob Zeidler,John Ball,Peter Czipott,Brian Conway,Ric Cashman,Tpm Dillingham,Don Del Maso,A.C Douglas.....

Many brilliant and scintillating people who graced this forum in the past...I miss them all.

There's many more. of course. :D
I'm still here Harris and glad to be and it's so good to see that your back.

cliftwood

Post by cliftwood » Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:12 am

Forgive me, Ric. Another senior moment.

Do you still have the same address ? :lol:

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:27 am

cliftwood wrote:

Wow, all people I never even new of! Regards, Len

Holden Fourth

Post by Holden Fourth » Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:12 pm

cliftwood wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:12 am
Forgive me, Ric. Another senior moment.

Do you still have the same address ? :lol:
I know all about senior moments! Yes I am still here in Carrara on the beautiful Gold Coast.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:18 am

I recall the name A. C. Douglas - but can't remember why. The other names don't immediately come to mind. What has happened to all these wonderful CMGers?
lennygoran wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:27 am
cliftwood wrote:

Wow, all people I never even new of! Regards, Len
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief