Domingo and Carreras coming to Australia in 2024 (?!)

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

maestrob

Re: Domingo and Carreras coming to Australia in 2024 (?!)

Post by maestrob » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:29 am

Maybe they'll do lip-synching? :mrgreen:

Belle

Post by Belle » Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:41 pm

I have every affinity with the amiable Carreras and I'm old enough to remember his horrendous battle with Leukaemia. That was a ride to hell for him and I'm surprised he even survived it.

Australia loves superannuated performers and I've no doubt the crowds will attend in droves and bill and coo about it afterwards. Aussies love Andre Rieu too and they attend in their tens of thousands, locking arms, clapping to the rhythms, moving heads from side to side in his sing-alongs. And they'll be swooning over the costumes and Rieu's particular brand of refulgence!!

What has any of this to do with music, I hear you ask? Not much, just marketing.

barney

Post by barney » Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:43 pm

I saw Domingo in 2016 in New York when he sang Boccangra (yes, the baritone role). He had fine moments but was clearly well past his best. The soprano had to scale back to accommodate him.
I wonder why they are doing this. I hope it's not because they are short of cash - I'd like to think each is comfortably off after such a brilliant career.

Belle

Post by Belle » Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:05 pm

It remains enigmatic why superannuated performers (of all varieties) want to continue in the spotlight after their heydays are well behind them. Same with Judy Dench and Maggie Smith; both appear regularly in cinema and it's confronting to witness their physical decay. Same with a well-known Australian commercial radio broadcaster with 'the golden microphone' who is still on the airwaves at 87 years, puffing, panting and struggling for each breath. For a time he 'retired', but not for very long.

The reasons for their clinging tenaciously to the limelight would be as varied as the people themselves, but my retired Psych sister once observed about the aforementioned broadcaster, after reading about him in a weekend magazine, "I'm seeing not much going on there at home and the private sphere more generally".

Some people don't really enjoy retirement, particularly males who are often far more likely defined by the professional status they once held and the work environment more generally. My own father was like this, having retired at 58 and saying he 'felt wasted' leaving the workforce at this age; the company was gradually downsizing and it no longer exists these days, with steelmaking now done in China! But, unlike Domingo, my father was able to master computer Cobol programming and set up a whole new intellectual pursuit.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:41 pm

Well, per Lebrecht maybe not:

"Plácido Domingo and Jose Carreras have cancelled this month’s Legends Together Again tour in Australia.

‘Unforseen circumstances’ are to blame.

New dates have been announced for November for Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne. Two other venues – Perth and Adelaide – are cancelled."

Weather too hot ? Or sales too cold ?

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:07 am

The THREE TENORS all certainly extended their fame performing together. We no longer have Pavarotti, and Carreras, I recall as did Belle, about his horrible experience with leukemia. I did hear Carreras' voice on recordings after he survived his ordeal. The voice, naturally, lost some of its bloom, but the artistry was still present. I am surprised he is singing again (or maybe not according to Rach3's post). And Domingo ... it is hard for me to believe the great tenor walked the streets of my home are with Tri-Cities Opera in Binghamton, New York very early on in his career.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]