New Mendelssohn "Songs Without Words" by Levit

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

New Mendelssohn "Songs Without Words" by Levit

Post by Rach3 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:57 am

maestrob

Re: New Mendelssohn "Songs Without Words" by Levit

Post by maestrob » Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:37 am

Rach3 wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:57 am
For fans of SWW here:

https://slippedisc.com/2023/12/a-pianis ... rd-sleeve/
Excellent. I'll be buying this CD when it comes out.

Belle

Post by Belle » Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:17 pm

This is great news!! Always looking out for something else from Levit and admiring his moral courage over antisemitism.

Holden Fourth

Post by Holden Fourth » Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:40 pm

.....as for me I'll ignore the political and ethnic posturings and simply listen to the music. I've always loved the Lieder Ohne Worte.

Belle

Post by Belle » Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:28 pm

It's not a 'pose'. Levit is himself a victim of antisemitism in Germany and the fact that he's chosen to record the music of another Jew, Mendelssohn - erased during the Third Reich - is worthy of note.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:54 pm

Levit's Mendelssohn should be on CD. Near as I can determine, they aren't yet. I love these little gems of Felix. He was like the Schubert of the voice only for piano only Schubert was, of course, more voluminous.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Belle

Post by Belle » Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:48 pm

I couldn't get the Levit Mendelssohn but I bought his recently-released CD of the Liszt B Minor Sonata, Berg's Sonata and the Bach Chromatic Fantasie & Fugue at a fabulous CD shop on central Auckland!! Wow, I was lost in that shop for ages whilst the spouse waited patiently, actually helping me to look through everything. I brought the recordings home to Australia last night. Also bought the Oslo Philharmonic's complete Sibelius symphonies with Klaus Mäkelä. The shop didn't have the Ormandy Symphonic Dances from Rachmaninoff, unfortunately. I'll have to try and source that online.

barney

Post by barney » Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:51 am

Holden Fourth wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:40 pm
.....as for me I'll ignore the political and ethnic posturings and simply listen to the music. I've always loved the Lieder Ohne Worte.
Goodness! Why is concern about anti-semitism political or ethnic posturing? Anti-semitic incidents in Australia have risen by more than 800 per cent since October 7. A lot of Jewish people are terrified. Why would you not give a toss? Or indeed for people dying in Gaza? Every decent human being should be concerned.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:19 am

Belle wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:48 pm
I couldn't get the Levit Mendelssohn but I bought his recently-released CD of the Liszt B Minor Sonata, Berg's Sonata and the Bach Chromatic Fantasie & Fugue at a fabulous CD shop on central Auckland!! Wow, I was lost in that shop for ages whilst the spouse waited patiently, actually helping me to look through everything. I brought the recordings home to Australia last night. Also bought the Oslo Philharmonic's complete Sibelius symphonies with Klaus Mäkelä. The shop didn't have the Ormandy Symphonic Dances from Rachmaninoff, unfortunately. I'll have to try and source that online.
I just checked my sources, and the hard copies of Levit's Mendelssohn have not yet been shipped. Presto does have the downloads, though, for those interested:

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/s ... endelssohn

CharmNewton

Post by CharmNewton » Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:40 pm

The album is also available for download at Amazon. I listened to six or seven selections. It isn't an album I'd purchase. I what I heard, to me, his playing lacks grace and the singing quality one associates with songs and the pieces sound more like etudes than songs.

This isn't the complete Songs Without Words, but an album of selections.

John

Belle

Post by Belle » Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:55 pm

CharmNewton wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:40 pm
The album is also available for download at Amazon. I listened to six or seven selections. It isn't an album I'd purchase. I what I heard, to me, his playing lacks grace and the singing quality one associates with songs and the pieces sound more like etudes than songs.

This isn't the complete Songs Without Words, but an album of selections.

John
Thank you for this heads-up! I would definitely want the complete Lieder Ohne Worte.

Len_Z

Post by Len_Z » Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:53 pm

That's exactly what I suspected and feared. I love SWW, and don't think it's the right repertoire for Levit who never stroke me as a lyric. Would purchase the CD though, just to make sure I wasn't wrong and Levit hasn't pulled a true miracle out of his hat.

By the way, what is everybody's favorite rendition of SWW? Mine is by Livia Rev.

Belle

Post by Belle » Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:04 pm

I've listened to selections of the Lieder from Levit and I must say I like most of them, though he plays them like Schubert but with more of a classically restrained edge. Reminded me of Kempff here. The image of the Star of David on the cover did move me, I have to say, as I have 110% affinity with the Jews. Levit's performance of this little lied is very gentle and tender. I would definitely buy his CD based on this and the others I've heard on YouTube, but Levit is definitely a Beethoven interpreter first and foremost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9y5WECf4IU

The rest of them are here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=O ... JLm3rNJaW4

I have Murray Perahia playing a limited selection of Lieder Ohne Worte and these are very fine indeed. Not all of these lieder from Mendelssohn are of a uniformly high quality, in my opinion.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:38 pm

I would get Levit's as well when they become available on CD though I sometimes question his "lyricism," as pointed out in another post. Your question, though, as to what everyone's favorite is - I suspect you are asking about complete sets. There are more "selections" CDs of the SWW than complete editions. Among my favorites of the complete sets is the one Greek pianist Rena Kyriakou did for Vox: right feeling/emotion/colors, right piano/acoustics, always leaving an indelible impression [Vox 5077, 2 CDs]. Another is by pianist Ania Dorfmann, but hers left me rather cold, recorded early on by RCA now on CD [RCA 39010]. One I expected more from is by Daniel Barenboim, but he didn't offer the sentiment and song-like character that I anticipated; these aren't just piano pieces, but really little diamonds. [DGG 423 931, 2 CDs]. Daniel Adni did a nice job with them, immediately appealing [EMI 69352, 2 CDs] and so did Ilse Von Alpenheim (in the top tier for me) on Philips [438 709, 2 CDs]. Roberto Prosseda has a keen interest in all of Mendelssohn's music and his SWW can be heard on [Italian Decca 481 5287, 10 CDs]. Livia Rev's recording I have enjoyed for a long time (since 2005) and would recommend them as complete sets go [Hyperion 22020, CDs]. The Walter Gieseking SWW has always been a staple for me, and I think he was at his best at this time [EMI 66675, and others in reissues] I think that's all I have of complete sets on CD and frankly, I have enough now to make me happy unless a complete set by Rubinstein or Moiseiwitsch shows up! If I had to live with just ONE set on that desert island for pure beauty and inspiration: Rena Kyriakou.

Insofar as those CDs with "selections" of the SWWs, Murray Perahia is at the top of my list, Bernd Glemser, Valerie Tryon, András Schiff, Wilhelm Backhaus, Alicia de Larrocha, and others, of which there are many, thankfully.
Len_Z wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:53 pm
[...]By the way, what is everybody's favorite rendition of SWW? Mine is by Livia Rev.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:02 pm

Andras Schiff, whose Decca recording has been a benchmark for me since it was first issued!

And Lance, I do agree that Rena Kyriakou is superb!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hLYPsEGcmM

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:12 pm

Thanks for those clips, Belle. I will hear them later on today.

Belle

Post by Belle » Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:33 pm

maestrob wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:12 pm
I've woken this morning with various aches and pains and with a birthday this Friday which is unwelcome in terms of what's already on the clock! But I'm listening to Levit's Mendelssohn lieder I posted here and I'm joyful and glad I'm alive. What's more important than family and the glorious musical legacy of the European world??!!! (And great film and literature too, of course.)

barney

Post by barney » Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:00 pm

Belle wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:33 pm
maestrob wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:12 pm
I've woken this morning with various aches and pains and with a birthday this Friday which is unwelcome in terms of what's already on the clock! But I'm listening to Levit's Mendelssohn lieder I posted here and I'm joyful and glad I'm alive. What's more important than family and the glorious musical legacy of the European world??!!! (And great film and literature too, of course.)
You left out single malt whisky!

Belle

Post by Belle » Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:18 pm

Sorry, I didn't know they could be partnered!!

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:32 am

Lance wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:38 pm
I would get Levit's as well when they become available on CD though I sometimes question his "lyricism," as pointed out in another post. Your question, though, as to what everyone's favorite is - I suspect you are asking about complete sets. There are more "selections" CDs of the SWW than complete editions. Among my favorites of the complete sets is the one Greek pianist Rena Kyriakou did for Vox: right feeling/emotion/colors, right piano/acoustics, always leaving an indelible impression [Vox 5077, 2 CDs]. Another is by pianist Ania Dorfmann, but hers left me rather cold, recorded early on by RCA now on CD [RCA 39010]. One I expected more from is by Daniel Barenboim, but he didn't offer the sentiment and song-like character that I anticipated; these aren't just piano pieces, but really little diamonds. [DGG 423 931, 2 CDs]. Daniel Adni did a nice job with them, immediately appealing [EMI 69352, 2 CDs] and so did Ilse Von Alpenheim (in the top tier for me) on Philips [438 709, 2 CDs]. Roberto Prosseda has a keen interest in all of Mendelssohn's music and his SWW can be heard on [Italian Decca 481 5287, 10 CDs]. Livia Rev's recording I have enjoyed for a long time (since 2005) and would recommend them as complete sets go [Hyperion 22020, CDs]. The Walter Gieseking SWW has always been a staple for me, and I think he was at his best at this time [EMI 66675, and others in reissues] I think that's all I have of complete sets on CD and frankly, I have enough now to make me happy unless a complete set by Rubinstein or Moiseiwitsch shows up! If I had to live with just ONE set on that desert island for pure beauty and inspiration: Rena Kyriakou.

Insofar as those CDs with "selections" of the SWWs, Murray Perahia is at the top of my list, Bernd Glemser, Valerie Tryon, András Schiff, Wilhelm Backhaus, Alicia de Larrocha, and others, of which there are many, thankfully.
Len_Z wrote:
[...]By the way, what is everybody's favorite rendition of SWW? Mine is by Livia Rev.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

barney

Post by barney » Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:26 am

Belle wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:18 pm
Sorry, I didn't know they could be partnered!!
Sometimes it is essential! I need a good belt to listen to many minimalist works. :D So, purely to help my liver, I avoid the ones I find tedious in the extreme.

Len_Z

Post by Len_Z » Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:16 pm

Lance wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:38 pm

Len_Z wrote:
Thank you for such an interesting list.

Happy New Year for you and your loved ones!!!