Another price spike! Raymond Lewenthal, pianist

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Another price spike! Raymond Lewenthal, pianist

Post by Lance » Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:14 pm

I just happened to be browsing available recordings for the late pianist, Raymond Lewenthal, whom I greatly admired. In 2019 I acquired the Sony Classical set of his eight [8] CDs recorded for RCA and Columbia [85364]. Back in 2019 the set could be had for less than $40/USD. I see it today on Amazon for $150.00/USD for a pre-owned set and as high as $170 from other vendors. To me, this is a valuable set, though it did not include a marvelous LP Reader's Digest/RCA Record Club [?] recording. I thought this would have also been included but was not due to contract regulations between the companies. Anyone who hasn't acquired Lewenthal's ALKAN recordings is missing out on some extraordinary pianism. It reminds one that sometimes, if possible, to pick these sets up when they first come forth.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Donald Isler

Re: Another price spike! Raymond Lewenthal, pianist

Post by Donald Isler » Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:21 am

I'm sure he would be happy to know his recordings have become so valuable!
Donald Isler

maestrob

Re: Another price spike! Raymond Lewenthal, pianist

Post by maestrob » Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:20 pm

Lance, the Rubinstein Box is now selling for $1200 (collectible), and the Heifetz box is going for $1435! Great for insurance purposes, no? 8)