Clifford Curzon

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Belle

Clifford Curzon

Post by Belle » Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:56 pm

There are outstanding recordings from this artist, and I found this one this morning which I especially love; Curzon, playing the Schumann Fantasy Op. 17. He makes a great account of it and he gets the opening bars just right. Curzon was always so very 'articulate' as a pianist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fbY_M9IvmQ

Schumann's opening bars in some of his works can sound frenetic and jumbled; think Fantasy and Kreisleriana.

Here is Curzon in a phenomenal performance of Schubert D850: probably a bit more 'muscular' than many are accustomed to hearing. And, 'being under the influence' in this recording, he's found a strong connection with Beethoven Op. 111 in the first movement!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPdDhMUy5ZU

The Schubert sonatas can sometimes sound knotty and jagged, and also characterized by a certain stasis in parts, but not under Curzon's fingers. I find this a feature of some of the Wilhelm Kempff performances I have of the Schubert sonatas.

Curzon's Brahms #2 with Knappertsbusch and the Wiener Philharmoniker from the late 50s is the finest one I know: crisp and articulate but at the same time romantic and authoritative. Drama in spades!! At some points it becomes so 'highly strung' that you wonder how it's ever going to come down to earth, particularly towards the end of the second movement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkR1CbfdKuQ

Curzon had the mien of a British civil servant!!

Rach3

Re: Clifford Curzon

Post by Rach3 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:39 pm

While not my fav Brahms 2nd PC performance, certainly agree that Brahms 2nd PC is a great one, and I suspect some of his finest playing period.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:17 pm

No question, British-born pianist Clifford Curzon was one of the very finest pianists of his time span [1907-1982]. A pure no-nonsense pianist. It's no wonder, having worked with Artur Schnabel, Nadia Boulanger and Wanda Landowska. While he detested making recordings, he made among some of the most memorable of concertos by Mozart, Brahms and his solo works of Schubert (Wanderer Fantasy), Schumann (Fantasy, very early recording). There are lessons to be learned in hearing music performed by Curzon. He delved into the virtuoso world with Liszt, Tchaikovsky and Rachmaninoff. A man for all seasons, though most would agree, he was at his best with the the Austro-German composers - and certainly well beyond it. Very nice to see his name pop up here. Despite his dislike in recording, Decca did a marvelous job in preserving his art. One wonders if Decca might issue a mega-box in his honor but I think I already have everything he approved and disproved by now! And don't forget to check out his many live performances on other labels such as Audite, Orfeo, BBC Legends, and Archipel. ♫
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Donald Isler

Post by Donald Isler » Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:06 pm

Heard him give a recital in 1969. I felt he was having a bit of an "off night" - it was a bit messy. And yet there was poetry. And I 've heard wonderful recordings of his playing.
Donald Isler

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:18 pm

Interesting ... it would not surprise me that he became nervous in front of a public ... like so many do as I have observed over many years. A shame you have to remember Curzon having an off-night, but everyone has them on occasion.
Donald Isler wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:06 pm
Heard him give a recital in 1969. I felt he was having a bit of an "off night" - it was a bit messy. And yet there was poetry. And I 've heard wonderful recordings of his playing.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Belle

Post by Belle » Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:48 pm

I love this recording with Curzon: Dvorak Piano Quintet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g39TJdd6vRo