Dvorak Violin Concerto - Veriko Tchumburidze

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

maestrob

Dvorak Violin Concerto - Veriko Tchumburidze

Post by maestrob » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:51 am

Antonín Dvořák (1841-1904) Violin Concerto in A minor, Op.53 (1879)

01:07 I. Allegro ma non troppo
14:13 II. Adagio ma non troppo
25:45 III. Allegro giocoso, ma non troppo
Veriko Tchumburidze, violin
Andrzey Boreyko, conductor
Warsaw Philarmonic Orchestra

39:48 Encore: Requiem for Freedom by Igor Loboda (2014, performed shortened version).
7.10.2022, live performance in Poznan/Poland
Opening Concert of the 16th International Henryk Wieniawski Violin Competition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXJSFRC47XY

Rach3

Re: Dvorak Violin Concerto - Veriko Tchumburidze

Post by Rach3 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:55 pm

Thanks for this.

I much prefer to hear the Dvorak than the Tchaikovsky.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:43 pm

Rach3 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:55 pm
Thanks for this.

I much prefer to hear the Dvorak than the Tchaikovsky.
I do think that the Dvořák is terribly underrated.

Belle

Post by Belle » Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:36 pm

Yes, it's sad to think Dvorak is under-rated. This is a beautiful work. But I think Brahms may have nailed it; he told Dvorak he'd be a great symphonist "if you'd remove some of that folk music from your symphonies". Whether through professional jealousy or sheer bloody-mindedness Brahms issued this advice, but I feel he was wrong because - ironically - we can hear the very strong influence of Brahms himself in those later symphonies by Dvorak. How could Brahms know that issuing this advice would risk Dvorak losing his individuality and becoming another Brahms? Not as effective as Brahms, but another Brahms nevertheless.

Thoughts?

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:58 am

Poor Dvořák ... he gave us only one each of the piano, cello and violin concertos. Everyone of them is a gem. I have over 30 readings of the violin concerto, recent and historical violinists. That number probably dwarfs those I have of both the Tchaikovsky and Brahms Violin Concertos, but I would not want to be without any of them. There is a certain joy in listening to the Dvořák ... it immediately takes us into his world. I cannot remember, however, if one great violinist ever recorded the piece: Jascha Heifetz? (If so, I missed cataloguing it.) I believe among the first-ever stereo recordings I heard of it was with Isaac Stern and Ormandy conducting the Philadelphia Orchestra. It remains a winner. In some ways, Dvořák is underrated with regard to some of his repertoire.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:53 am

mikealdren

Post by mikealdren » Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:43 pm

Lance wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:58 am
Poor Dvořák ... he gave us only one each of the piano, cello and violin concertos. Everyone of them is a gem. I have over 30 readings of the violin concerto, recent and historical violinists. That number probably dwarfs those I have of both the Tchaikovsky and Brahms Violin Concertos, but I would not want to be without any of them. There is a certain joy in listening to the Dvořák ... it immediately takes us into his world. I cannot remember, however, if one great violinist ever recorded the piece: Jascha Heifetz? (If so, I missed cataloguing it.) I believe among the first-ever stereo recordings I heard of it was with Isaac Stern and Ormandy conducting the Philadelphia Orchestra. It remains a winner. In some ways, Dvořák is underrated with regard to some of his repertoire.
I agree, it's a great piece and no, Heifetz didn't record it, I'm not at home so I can't check whether he ever performed it but, as you know, quite a lot of great violinists have and there are some wonderful recordings out there.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:25 am

I checked my live performances of Heifetz to determine if he recorded it in concert. Near as I can determine, he didn't. And you're right, many great recordings out there. Mine include Vengerov, Stern, Ughi, Rucci, Pamela Frank, Martzy, Milstein, Chang, Perlman, Menuhin, Prihoda, Kulenkampff, Krebbers, Haendel, Gimpel, Peinemann, Zenaty, Adolf Busch, David Oistrakh, Joseph Suk with some in multiple performances. At this point in life, that is probably enough to keep me happy!
mikealdren wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:43 pm

I agree, it's a great piece and no, Heifetz didn't record it, I'm not at home so I can't check whether he ever performed it but, as you know, quite a lot of great violinists have and there are some wonderful recordings out there.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:02 am

Lance wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:25 am
I checked my live performances of Heifetz to determine if he recorded it in concert. Near as I can determine, he didn't. And you're right, many great recordings out there. Mine include Vengerov, Stern, Ughi, Rucci, Pamela Frank, Martzy, Milstein, Chang, Perlman, Menuhin, Prihoda, Kulenkampff, Krebbers, Haendel, Gimpel, Peinemann, Zenaty, Adolf Busch, David Oistrakh, Joseph Suk with some in multiple performances. At this point in life, that is probably enough to keep me happy!
mikealdren wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:43 pm

Violinist Joseph Suk championed his grandfather's violin concerto and recorded it twice, both with Ancerl and Neumann. It is to the recording below that I return periodically when I must hear Dvorak's masterpiece:

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:00 pm

There was another, too, with Suk as violinist, BBC Legends [4257] coupled with the Beethoven VC, all under Malcolm Sargent and the BBC Symphony, recorded 1964, 1965 respectively. So, we have a good number of this concerto with Suk, the grandson.
maestrob wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:02 am
Violinist Joseph Suk championed his grandfather's violin concerto and recorded it twice, both with Ancerl and Neumann. It is to the recording below that I return periodically when I must hear Dvorak's masterpiece:
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:57 pm

Lance wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:00 pm
There was another, too, with Suk as violinist, BBC Legends [4257] coupled with the Beethoven VC, all under Malcolm Sargent and the BBC Symphony, recorded 1964, 1965 respectively. So, we have a good number of this concerto with Suk, the grandson.
maestrob wrote:
Thanks for that information, Lance. I have the BBC legends boxes and will look for it or was it just issued as a single?

Febnyc

Post by Febnyc » Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:38 pm

I really enjoy this concerto.

And pace those performances already mentioned, I turn to my favorite - Perlman. Love that sweet-sounding fiddle of his. (EMI recording with Barenboim/LSO.)

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:38 pm

My copy is a single CD. I was careful to get many of those BBC Legends discs, and some went the way of ICA Classics and I believe Medici Arts. Theirs was an excellent series of live performances with many great and recognized artists. BBC has since opened their vaults to other labels of their broadcast performances.
maestrob wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:57 pm
Lance wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:00 pm
maestrob wrote:
Thanks for that information, Lance. I have the BBC legends boxes and will look for it or was it just issued as a single?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

mikealdren

Post by mikealdren » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:55 am

I completely agree about Suk, what a fine musician he was.

Lance, your list has so many older performances but there have been some very fine recent recordings too, quite a few of the current generation of players are performing it and rightly so.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:33 pm

I know, and can't help that I am so attracted to those I mentioned ... and then there is the question: just how many performances/recordings of any one work can we have? In most cases, except for singers and pianists, I am leaving most of the new "stuff" to the current generation (except for newly-discovered repertoire), many of whom do not even know about those older performances these days as I have discovered talking to many university students and younger musicians and aspiring performing artists.
mikealdren wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:55 am
I completely agree about Suk, what a fine musician he was.

Lance, your list has so many older performances but there have been some very fine recent recordings too, quite a few of the current generation of players are performing it and rightly so.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

THEHORN

Post by THEHORN » Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:55 pm

Brahms was dead wrong when he urged Dvorak to eliminate the Czech coloration of his music . Dvorak would not be Dvorak if he had not. put that distinctive Czech flavor in his music . It's. an integral part of it , as it should be .