Where does Peter Pears stand in the lineup of tenors?

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Where does Peter Pears stand in the lineup of tenors?

Post by Lance » Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:02 am

I have lots of Peter Pears on disc, but his voice never touched me in the manner of so many others. On another thread, speaking about Testament CDs, I dug out Testament 1519, an all-Schubert recital of 19 tracks recorded in 1959, 1961 and 1964 by the BBC studios in London, now apparently unavailable. Pears' accompanist was Benjamin Britten. Hearing the 1959 recordings, in "Der Winterabend," for example, I found the voice ravishing — a word I would not generally associate with Pears. His higher tenor voice sometimes sounds pushed to me, but the artistry in these songs is assuredly present. The other half of the duo is pianist Benjamin Britten who does a truly magnificent job in performing with Pears ... it is, in fact, some of his most sensitive playing. We all know Britten played the piano, and very well. But in these BBC mono-only recordings, it becomes even more apparent. Is Pears a Fischer-Dieskau, a Wunderlich, Schreier, Prey insofar as male lieder singers are concerned? No, not always. Sometimes, tenor Ian Bostridge is reminiscent of Pears' voice, but in Bostridge's case, I am not a devoted fan, especially in his lieder recordings; it took more of an intense listening session of hearing Pears' Schubert lieder that changed my thinking.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Re: Where does Peter Pears stand in the lineup of tenors?

Post by maestrob » Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:29 am

Lance, I believe Peter Pears to be an acquired taste, frankly. That said, I saw/heard him at the world premiere of Death in Venice at the MET in 1975, sitting just behind the conductor Stuart Bedford in the first row orchestra, thanks to a generous patron who handed me a ticket stub on the way out. Britten wrote the role of Aschenbach specifically for Pears, and he was brilliant in it.

barney

Post by barney » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:52 am

Britten wrote a lot for Pears, and he is unmatched in that repertoire. I agree with Brian that he is an acquired taste; one I have largely acquired. I agree with Lance that Bostridge is a modern equivalent, and I agree that Pears is no DFD.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:11 pm

Very good phrase, indeed! "An acquired taste." Best thought in three words! That's exactly what happens sometimes.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

mikealdren

Post by mikealdren » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:49 am

Definitely a taste I have never acquired. As we say in the UK, a Marmite singer, you love it or hate it.....

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:37 pm

Mike, yours is a very interesting comment. Can you advise why Pears isn't an acquired taste for you, especially being in the UK?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

mikealdren

Post by mikealdren » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:23 pm

I simply don't like his voice and I find it rather whining and strained, though he's certainly not the only singer I don't like.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:00 pm

Good response! In contrast to Pears, who would you rank high as tenors go in the type of repertoire Pears' sang - which embraces a lot?
mikealdren wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:23 pm
I simply don't like his voice and I find it rather whining and strained, though he's certainly not the only singer I don't like.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

mikealdren

Post by mikealdren » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:12 am

Looking at British near contemporaries, I always preferred Robert Tear and Stuart Burrows.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:07 pm

A man after my own heart! My radio broadcast this coming Saturday is a tribute to Welsh tenor Stuart Burrows. The man could sing Mozart opera, for sure, but it is his ability to put across the great songs of older days, Stephen Adams, May Brahe, Williams (My Little Welsh Home), Sullivan, all those great Victorian sons, even German and French song, and songs in Welsh ... an amazing artist. Feel the same about Robert Tear who sang similar repertoire. The six-CD set of Burrows complete Decca Recitals [476 5353] is worth its weight in gold! Thanks for your response! Afterthought: I would like to correspond with Stuart Barrows. Any thoughts on how I might do that?
mikealdren wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:12 am
Looking at British near contemporaries, I always preferred Robert Tear and Stuart Burrows.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

THEHORN

Post by THEHORN » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:58 pm

Peter Pears occupies a very specialized niche among tenors . He wasn't suited to. tenor roles in Italian opera except for his portrayal of the aged emperor in Turandot on the classic. Decca recording with. Sutherland and Pavarotti. with Mehta conducting. or. most tenor roles in opera in general , but. he was ideal for. Peter Grimes , the captain in Billy Budd , and. Britten's final opera. Death in Venice etc and other vocal works by Britten . Plus. lieder by Schubert and other. composers of lieder. etc.