Felix Weingartner, conductor

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Felix Weingartner, conductor

Post by Lance » Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:23 am

As I am working on a series of radio broadcasts devoted to conductor Felix Weingartner [1863-1942], this means all his recordings were made during the days of 78rpm recordings. In looking over his discography, it is amazing so much material went to shellac! All Beethoven's nine symphonies, [Weingartner apparently the first conductor to record all nine]; Brahms four symphonies, Mendelssohn 3, Liszt, Wagner, Handel, JS Bach, Berlioz, Mozart, Weber, Wagner. Even some good collaborations with pianists, Sauer, Long, etc. I always felt his arrangement of Beethoven's "Hammerklavier" piano sonata was outstanding. Weingartner appears on many labels including EMI, Lys, Naxos Historical, Pearl, Piano Library, Pristine, Sirio, and Tahra. I wonder what the old guy would think if he knew these recordings would still be heard just shy of a hundred years, in many cases, of when they were recorded. ♫
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

david johnson

Re: Felix Weingartner, conductor

Post by david johnson » Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:18 am

I still have his VPO Beethoven #9 on 78s. I listened to it a lot when I was a teen.

Febnyc

Post by Febnyc » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:59 am

Are you also considering Weingartner as a composer? I think he was one of the better conductor/composers.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:07 pm

Yes, I am very much aware of Weingartner the composer. I wish I had him conducting his own orchestral works or acting as a pianist in some of his lieder, alas, nothing available that way. I have some songs/lieder sung by DFD and others. I guess here, I'm just illustrating the legendary conducting ability of Weingartner.
Febnyc wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:59 am
Are you also considering Weingartner as a composer? I think he was one of the better conductor/composers.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]