My second Reimann opera-Medea

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:09 pm

Bought it used from Amazon used-well worth seeing-a big pretty appropriate set, most costumed the way I like, wonderful singing and acting-an incredible amount of high pitched singing! Marlis Petersen was incredible! Regards, Len

Alfredo R. Villanueva
5.0 out of 5 stars DRAMATIC, INTENSE, 12 TONE WITH A PURPOSE!
Reviewed in the United States on September 21, 2016
Verified Purchase
I cannot really stomach 12 tone music or Eurotrash productions. However, there are two operas by Aribert Reimann in my DVD collection. Spectacular productions and a dramatic idiom firmly anchored in 12 tone and corresponding perfectly to the ferocity of the primal passions contained in each work. “Medea”, as we all know, was a role owned by Maria Callas both as a singer and as an actress. For this particular version, though, one needs Marlis Petersen [soprano, Germany], whose stunning vocal technique and acting chops carry the piece from beginning to end. Michela Selinger [mezzo, Austria] as Creusa and Elizabeth Kulman [mezzo/contralto, Austria] as Gora, Medea’s companion, complete the female trio of principals. The males also conform a triad: Michael Rolder [tenor, Austria] as Creon; a stunning Adrian Eröd, [baritone, Hungary] as Jason; and Max Emanuel Cendic, [countertenor, Serbia], making his debut in the house, all equally excellent vocally and dramatically. Michael Boder conducts the Vienna State Opera Orchestra. The superb production was directed by Marco Arturo Marelli.

Joan Sutton
5.0 out of 5 stars This Medea is unforgettable
Reviewed in the United States on August 16, 2014
Verified Purchase
I am very impressed with this new opera. You soon get used to the music and it is very appropriate for the story which is not based on Euripides' Medea but on a libretto called "The Golden Fleece" by Grillparzer. Nevertheless, it shares the essential elements of Euripides. This opera is riveting in every way, giving the singers an opportunity to show all their feelings which they skillfully do. Even the set, though sparse, is interesting. Part of it features a rocky hillside which, as things get more "rocky" in the story, begins to avalanche slowly. The sound of the rocks falling becomes part of the music. It is an extremely intense experience and never boring. Marlis Petersen is a beautiful and sympathetic Medea singing what eventually feels like strangely beautiful music. I'm very happy to own this DVD.

birdwalker
4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth watching -- but not as great as Lear
Reviewed in the United States on July 30, 2018
I purchased this DVD of Reimann's Medea because of my enthusiasm for Reimann's Lear, one of my top ten operas. Verdi wanted to write an opera based on Shakespeare's King Lear, but had a sense of his inability to capture the essence of the play. It took some decades and German expressionism -- and Aribert Reimann -- to solve the operatic problems of the play.
The story of Medea would seem to be another match for Reimann. It is necessary, by the way, to do a little research beforehand to catch the subtleties in the libretto, as there are many versions of just what happened in Cochis with the fleece, the deaths of Pelias and Medea's brother, and Jason's relationship with Medea (and the number of their children!)
I've read the seven excellent reviews that exist right now for this production, as I don't wish to duplicate any of their very helpful comments.
Direction: the directors do not put their egos above the libretto and the music. This is extremely helpful, and not the current practice. In other words, this is definitely not a Eurotrash production.
Costuming: as implied in the Coulardeau review, comments emphatically on the two cultural factions. Jason changes before us in the start of the opera, from tan clothing to a white shirt, tie and jacket, before he asks Creon to accept him. After acceptance, his trousers are white, too. The children accept the new white clothes, new identity, easily. Medea at one point attempts a white coat -- and simply cannot make the change. The Greek clothing is sophisticated, cool (Creusa as Ivanka?) and elegant. Costumes for Medea and maidservant are colorful and flamboyant.
Lighting: as with the costuming very simple and evocative.
Set: efficient, evocative and unobtrusive. (No '60s chevrolet, no motorcycle, no bathtub.)
Orchestra: remarkable.
Orchestral score: I see this as a substitute for the operatic chorus, commenting constantly in this case, grumbling, cheering, sneering; caged animals responding to the emotional temperature of the scenes.
Singers: performances superb, Petersen's energy expenditure beyond belief. Buy this DVD for the singers' performances alone.
Vocal score: the reason I did not give this DVD five stars. The Coulardeau review states, "singing with vocalises that end up in thin air over and over again". Exactly. Over and over and over. One hour and fifty minutes of Fiakermilli. The only vocal line that is different in any way from the others is that of Creusa. Is this deliberate on Reimann's part? With the very slightest tinkering by another composer, Richard Strauss, perhaps, were he alive, much of the vocalizing in this opera would seem Baroque or Classical or Straussian. The intense screaming, however, especially of Medea's writing, makes this opera too difficult for me to take aurally. I watched the DVD three times in a row, the second time to concentrate on the orchestral score (it's endlessly fascinating), the third time to pick up on any details I missed in the libretto. I'm not sure if I will listen to this again: no matter how excellent the singers are, the vocal scoring is tedious, not differentiated enough and relentlessly high pitched.

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: My second Reimann opera-Medea

Post by Lance » Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:57 pm

Interesting to read about this MEDEA by Reimann. I am a huge fan of MEDEA by Cherubini. I wonder how I would fare with the Reimann in comparison? :twisted:
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

lennygoran

Re: My second Reimann opera-Medea

Post by lennygoran » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:49 am

Lance wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:57 pm
Interesting to read about this MEDEA by Reimann. I am a huge fan of MEDEA by Cherubini. I wonder how I would fare with the Reimann in comparison? :twisted:
Lance we saw that HD style at our AMC in Rockaway NJ when the Met did it in 2022-really enjoyed it-Sondra Radvanovsky was sensational-her singing and her acting-at times crawling all over the stage! The Reimann Medea's music was very different and at first really startled me although I wasn't completely surprised after just seeing on a DVD his Leer. Funny that after awhile the high pitched and pounding music I got used to it and in its own way was enjoying it. Regards, Len

PS-take a look at the trailer on youtube:
https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... _JVng,st:0

Here's the cast for the Cherubini Medea we saw:

HD Transmission

Medea
Metropolitan Opera House, Sat, October 22, 2022
Broadcast

Medea (7)
Luigi Cherubini | François-Benoît Hoffman

Medea
Sondra Radvanovsky

Giasone