Pianist Severin von Eckardstein's new cd

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Pianist Severin von Eckardstein's new cd

Post by Rach3 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:08 pm

One of my favorite pianists, Severin von Eckardstein’s “ new” ( released Oct.,2023 I just learned ) DGG cd. Common themes seem to run thru it , but I’ll defer “ dancing about architecture” comments and simply highly recommend this extraordinary playing and programme:

Scriabin, “ Vers la flamme” , Op.72
Strauss, “Tod und Verklärung”,Op.24 ( Arr. Eckardstein) (!! )
Messiaen, “Vingt regards sur l'Enfant-Jésus” - No. 20, “Regard de l'Église d'amour”
Eckardstein, “ Improvisation”
Beethoven, Sonata No.32, Op.111
Beethoven, “Andante favori” , WoO 57

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW1b-Ui ... OU&index=4

Belle

Re: Pianist Severin von Eckardstein's new cd

Post by Belle » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:23 pm

I've got it going in the background as I finish off this legal research paper. It's magic, as is the tone of the piano itself.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:31 am

Belle wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:23 pm
I've got it going in the background as I finish off this legal research paper. It's magic, as is the tone of the piano itself.
I believe he usually plays a Bechstein.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:31 pm

A truly excellent release and a must-buy for me. Many thanks!

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:19 pm

Severin von Eckardstein - what a beautiful name for a pianist! Fine pianists seem to be popping up all over the place!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:29 pm

The BECHSTEIN enjoyed a wonderful reputation prior to World War II and, thankfully, it is regaining its status as one of the finest pianists being built today. When Baldwin USA bought Bechstein years ago, they allowed them to -+retain their independence in manufacturing the instruments though I'm sure they adopted some of those policies in their own pianos. I believe that's pretty much what Yamaha is doing since they acquired Bõsendorfer. Incidentally, you may have noticed that American Steinway is now building their grand pianos to look more like the German models ... i.e., rounded cheek blocks, inner rim not painted but left as wood. For years, there were arguments whether the American or German models were superior. Rubinstein, and especially Horowitz, felt the American model was more "gutsier." Other pianists have told me that every German piano they played was like a jewel. The old recordings of Schnabel, Edwin Fischer, Rudolf Serkin and others preferred the Bechstein, but Schnabel and Serkin switched to American Steinway once they were domiciled in America for political reasons, and because the Bechstein was not easy to find in concert halls.
Rach3 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:31 am
Belle wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:23 pm
I believe he usually plays a Bechstein.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:04 pm

Fww, Eckardstein , now 45,was the winner of the 2003 Queen Elisabeth of Belgium Piano Competition and has several cd's to his credit. While I have none of his cd's, I am fortunate to have mp3 downloads of live recitals given in Europe in 2001,2007,2011 and 2012.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:59 pm

Fww if interested another interesting programme:

My first hearings of the Schubert,Lachenmann, Reger, works I suspect not often heard. I believe the Reger also an homage to Schubert. Extraordinary pianism by von Eckardtein, virtuosity, great care and attention to structure,dynamics and nuance, inspired playing.Spell-binding slow mov. in the Schumann , yet with pulse.A very demanding program for any pianist.Fortunately, I’ve heard several performances of von Eckardstein over the years , all excellent,this one among the “best.” Not sure who completed the unfinished sections of the Schubert Sonata.

Enregistré le 11 février 2024 au Studio 1 de Flagey, à Bruxelles

Franz Schubert - Sonate en fa mineur, D 625
Helmut Lachenmann (1935 - ) - Schubert-Variationen (1956)
Max Reger - Sonatine op. 89/1
Robert Schumann - Sonate N°2 en sol mineur, op.22

Johannes Brahms (bis) - 2e Intermezzo de l'opus 118

Severin von Eckardstein, piano

https://auvio.rtbf.be/media/concert-con ... 0h-3157333

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:31 pm

I just gave this a hearing tonight. It's a German Avi CD [8553531]. It is noted in a few places on the disc that Severin von Eckhardstein is exclusively a Deutsche Grammophon artist. So, what's he doing on Avi? This is impressive playing throughout and gives the piano quite a workout. Von Eckhardstein's own transcription of Richard Strauss' of Death and Transfiguration is remarkable - as is the excerpt from Messiaen's Vingt Regards. Of course, the Beethoven Sonata 32 in C Minor, Op. 111 was my primary interest in this recording, and it certainly does not disappoint. The recording was made in Berlin in 2022 and the piano is, indeed, a gorgeous Bechstein. Hearing his Messiaen excerpt makes me wish he recorded the entire work. The interview in the booklet with Arndt Cobbers gives the pianist's reasons for the combination of works heard on this disc and it is most enlightening. •
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:07 am

I posted this 5-years ago, but worth repeating as I listen again today:

Pianist Severin von Eckardstein's live , Alkan Piano Sonata " Les Quatre Ages" , 2001 recital in Siegen,Germany. Stunning.Not to be missed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TqWqdM1rWw&t=8s

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:05 am

An interesting new find with pianist Severin von Eckardstein. I'm surveying his 2020 Paris-made recording on the German Artalinna label [CD A032] consisting of Chopin's Polonaise-Fantaisie in A-flat, Op. 61; Schumann's Davidsbundlertanze, Op. 6, Tchaikovsky's Chant Elegiaque, Op. 72/14; and Gabriel Dupont's [1878-1914] four excerpts from La Maison dans les Dunes. All is played on a gorgeous Bechstein concert grand (lots of acoustic around it). The Schumann was the big drawing card for wanting this disc and is magical hereon. The Dupont I'm unfamiliar with but the dateline for the composer was of interest. No question, this man is an incredible pianist. His touch is beyond delicate and can roar when the music demands it. For others interested in his recordings, he also appears on Danacord 839 [Husum Festival, 2018), and Initiativkreis Ruhrgebeit 553428 in Verdi and Wagner paraphrases and transcriptions with other celebrated pianists (Hamelin, Levin plus a few others. And there's other CD recordings. Pay attention to him ... a winner! Just what I needed, yet another incomparable pianist for me to follow!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:03 am

Ah yes, another recording by Eckardstein ... all Schumann, on the German Avi label [8553366]. What we have here is Three Fantasy Pieces, Op. 111; Fantasiestücke, Op. 12, and the Fantasy in C Major, Op. 17. The disc was issued in 2017. I have always said that one can tell a lot about pianist by listening to the pianist's Schumann. For a young pianist (born in 1978), Eckhardstein brings a brilliant technique to his playing, importantly coupled with a certain "tenderness" that is expressed especially in the Fantasy in C Major, Op. 17. It's a winning disc. I especially enjoyed the piano used. While Eckardstein has of late used Bechstein pianos, this one, especially in the resonant bass, sounds like a Hamburg Steinway. A gorgeously-voiced piano. I can assure you that pianos do make a difference!

Again, do I need more Schumann on disc? No, but I am delighted to have this one.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:12 pm

Lance wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:05 am
An interesting new find with pianist Severin von Eckardstein.
His extraordinary realization of the epic Sonata " Ballada" , Op.27 by Nikolai Medtner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Df-0z0 ... u&index=29 (Mov.1)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI5fArOtV34 (Movs.2,3)

I have no recording info, although appears done about 15 years ago.Eckardstein, for me, is one of the great Medtner pianists.Pity he did not record many of the sonatas.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:03 pm

This was fabulous - and it should be on a CD? I don't ever recall seeing it. Did I miss it? Imagine a live concert of this music - to be played with such perfection (and fingers).
Rach3 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:07 am
I posted this 5-years ago, but worth repeating as I listen again today:

Pianist Severin von Eckardstein's live , Alkan Piano Sonata " Les Quatre Ages" , 2001 recital in Siegen,Germany. Stunning.Not to be missed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TqWqdM1rWw&t=8s
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:20 pm

A final suggestion if you are a Prokofieff fan, the "War" Sonatas, of which I have heard only the 6th from his 2021 cd so far, and it's revelatory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6dKBzG ... Nw&index=1

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:38 pm

Rach3 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:12 pm
Lance wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:05 am
An interesting new find with pianist Severin von Eckardstein.
His extraordinary realization of the epic Sonata " Ballada" , Op.27 by Nikolai Medtner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Df-0z0 ... u&index=29 (Mov.1)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI5fArOtV34 (Movs.2,3)

I have no recording info, although appears done about 15 years ago.Eckardstein, for me, is one of the great Medtner pianists.Pity he did not record many of the sonatas.
This was extraordinary playing, agreed. Many thanks!