Franck & Rachmaninoff Violin/Cello Sonatas - Interchangeable

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Franck & Rachmaninoff Violin/Cello Sonatas - Interchangeable

Post by Lance » Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:28 am

There have been a few recordings of Franck's great Violin Sonata in A Minor performed on the cello. It works both ways, but for some reason, I always prefer the original violin version. Now comes Rachmaninoff's great Cello Sonata in G Minor, Op. 19 in a transcription by Mikhailovsky. It is beautifully performed by a Japanese violinist, Hideko Udagawa, whose name came up on another thread on CMG regarding Khachaturian (I think by febnyc). I recently listened to Udagawa's recording of the Rachmaninoff Sonata plus ten transcriptions of other Rachmaninoff compositions all transcribed by Jascha Heifetz. The Sigmum Classics CD [164] is marked "world premiere recordings." Udagawa does a marvelous job in her work on the entire disc though one may hear some occasional out-of-tuneness. However, her piano partner, Konstantin Lifschitz provides piano accompaniments that almost steal the show. What a fabulous pianist and one we don't hear much about. {Listen to the Prelude, Op. 32/5, track 9.} My point, however is that—in the Rachmaninoff Sonata—I miss the depth of tone from the cello that provides a more soulful, darker sound. Rachmaninoff knew what he was doing is selecting the cello! Off the top of my head, I'm not sure there are other transcriptions of the Rachmaninoff Cello Sonata played on the violin. Udagawa's recording was issued in 2009, so that CD has been around for a while.

The Franck piece has seen numerous transcriptions, such as for solo piano, flute, viola, double bass, saxophone, oboe, clarinet, and even for piano and orchestra! It's not uncommon for this (making transcriptions) to happen, but the Rachmaninoff transcription seems new to me. Others know about this?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Belle

Re: Franck & Rachmaninoff Violin/Cello Sonatas - Interchangeable

Post by Belle » Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:30 am

I don't know the Cello Sonata of Cesar Franck. I think he was an under-rated composer and I attribute much of this to Saint-Saëns who was a vicious rival. Franck revered the latter and he was treated abominably for his trouble. Over the years I've closed ranks behind Franck because of S-S.

Franck's Symphony in D is seldom performed and we've discussed this before. Some of his organ music is wonderful. I find this very moving: it has an ethereal and haunting beauty which represents something very intangible and existential to me. Ineffable.

Not everybody likes organ music and I cannot understand this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkxY3lk3qLQ

Sorry that this is off-topic Lance!!

Febnyc

Post by Febnyc » Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:55 pm

Gosh, Lance - the Rachmaninoff Cello Sonata is a masterpiece and, as you note, it's perfectly designed for cello. I can't imagine that a violin could capture those deep sighs.

Although I am a fan of transcriptions, this one seems a bit wrong.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:37 pm

Febnyc wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:55 pm
Gosh, Lance - the Rachmaninoff Cello Sonata is a masterpiece and, as you note, it's perfectly designed for cello. I can't imagine that a violin could capture those deep sighs.

Although I am a fan of transcriptions, this one seems a bit wrong.
Just finished hearing this CD on Spotify, and heard enough to say that I agree. While the Rachmaninoff transcription is an interesting exercise, it's really no more than that. The other repertoire is marred by a certain lack of sweetness in her tone, something that is desperately needed in this repertoire.

Sorry, Lance, but while the repertoire is interesting, it needs a better violinist, and the Rachmaninoff Sonata just doesn't work for me. Funny how an artist can change so much in just two years.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:14 pm

Oh, don't get me wrong. I didn't say I approve of the Rachmaninoff cello-to-violin transcription. There is no comparison - the cello wins hands down. My only interest was in the violinist performing the work. The cello does work for the Franck, as several great cellists have attested. The other Rachmaninoff transcriptions on Udagawa's disc, however, faired much better in their altered musical form than the cello sonata, and while quite accomplished, Udagawa is no Heifetz or Milstein (though she studied with Heifetz!) - as that is also alluded to in the notes accompanying the disc.
maestrob wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:37 pm
Just finished hearing this CD on Spotify, and heard enough to say that I agree. While the Rachmaninoff transcription is an interesting exercise, it's really no more than that. The other repertoire is marred by a certain lack of sweetness in her tone, something that is desperately needed in this repertoire.
Sorry, Lance, but while the repertoire is interesting, it needs a better violinist, and the Rachmaninoff Sonata just doesn't work for me. Funny how an artist can change so much in just two years.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]