Margaret Tynes Dies At 104

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

Margaret Tynes Dies At 104

Post by lennygoran » Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:07 am

Margaret Tynes, Soprano Who Soared in Verdi and Strauss, Dies at 104

Because there were few opportunities for Black singers in the U.S., she became a powerhouse in Europe, performing in operas like “Tosca” and “Carmen.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/05/arts ... =url-share

maestrob

Re: Margaret Tynes Dies At 104

Post by maestrob » Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:31 am

Fascinating, Len, thanks! I consider myself knowledgeable, but I've never heard of her. Couldn't find a single recording either.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:51 pm

I don't appear to have anything of Tynes on record. Were there any? R.I.P.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:08 pm

maestrob wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:31 am
Fascinating, Len, thanks! I consider myself knowledgeable, but I've never heard of her. Couldn't find a single recording either.
Brian you can imagine I certainly never heard of her-what a story-sometimes timing is everything! Regards, Len

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:11 pm

Lance wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:51 pm
Lance would something like this work?

https://www.cdandlp.com/en/margaret-tyn ... 118258547/

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:39 am

A seven-inch LP from the house of Qualiton! Yes, that would help. A shame it never found its way to CD. I have many Qualiton LPs acquired over the years, but I don't believe any 7-inchers. It could be an extended play 45rpm disc as well. Thanks for pointing this out, Len. She is an attractive-looking woman, and I am a connoisseur of spirituals.
lennygoran wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:11 pm
Lance wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:51 pm
Lance would something like this work?

https://www.cdandlp.com/en/margaret-tyn ... 118258547/
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:18 am

Lance wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:39 am
A seven-inch LP from the house of Qualiton! Yes, that would help.
Lance my friend sent this to me-don't know if it might help-doesn't look too encouraging. Regards, Len

"The article claims that she only made one LP, in Hungary on Qualiton (now Hungaroton). That is the one I own, and I believe it only exists as a 60+-year old vinyl disc. Using Discogs which is an international marketplace and searching for her name I got this:

https://www.discogs.com/artist/1476901-Margaret-Tynes

If the link works for you, you'll see that there are also some spirituals and a disc of Porgy & Bess, most reissued on different labels so the actual number of records is smaller than you are first led to believe.

When you click on the Qualiton operatic LP you'll also find its contents and that there are several copies for sale, mostly in Hungary and none unfortunately in the US.

There are sound recordings of her on Youtube and eBay also lists a copy of the same LP, also from Hungary."

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:01 pm

Hi Lenny, and thanks for the trouble you took to do some searching. I should have thought about Discogs because they do have surprises online at times. I checked it over. Naturally, I am tempted to get this spirituals EP disc. On the other hand, I am trying to find a buyer for me 72,000 LP collection - do I want to add more and more? But collectors have an addiction to music. Much appreciate your efforts on my behalf.
lennygoran wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:18 am
Lance wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:39 am
A seven-inch LP from the house of Qualiton! Yes, that would help.
Lance my friend sent this to me-don't know if it might help-doesn't look too encouraging. Regards, Len

"The article claims that she only made one LP, in Hungary on Qualiton (now Hungaroton). That is the one I own, and I believe it only exists as a 60+-year old vinyl disc. Using Discogs which is an international marketplace and searching for her name I got this:

https://www.discogs.com/artist/1476901-Margaret-Tynes

If the link works for you, you'll see that there are also some spirituals and a disc of Porgy & Bess, most reissued on different labels so the actual number of records is smaller than you are first led to believe.

When you click on the Qualiton operatic LP you'll also find its contents and that there are several copies for sale, mostly in Hungary and none unfortunately in the US.

There are sound recordings of her on Youtube and eBay also lists a copy of the same LP, also from Hungary."
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:22 am

Lance wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:01 pm
Hi Lenny, and thanks for the trouble you took to do some searching. I should have thought about Discogs because they do have surprises online at times. I checked it over. Naturally, I am tempted to get this spirituals EP disc. On the other hand, I am trying to find a buyer for me 72,000 LP collection
Lance no trouble at all-72,000-wow! Regards, Len :)

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:18 pm

You know, if I got one dollar ($1.00) for each LP now, collected since I was 16 years old, and everything in mint condition, I would rather BURN the entire 72,000 LPs given what I paid for them, giving up lunches as a young one and so much else, to afford buying an LP. And then there are those special items that have a very high value. I would get more satisfaction of burning them if they were only worth $1/each to a buyer. But also consider what the cost of a brand-new LP costs today from DGG and others!
lennygoran wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:22 am
Lance wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:01 pm
Hi Lenny, and thanks for the trouble you took to do some searching. I should have thought about Discogs because they do have surprises online at times. I checked it over. Naturally, I am tempted to get this spirituals EP disc. On the other hand, I am trying to find a buyer for me 72,000 LP collection
Lance no trouble at all-72,000-wow! Regards, Len :)
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief