Brahms lieder transcribed by Max Reger w/Buchbinder

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Brahms lieder transcribed by Max Reger w/Buchbinder

Post by Lance » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:24 am

Franz Liszt undoubtedly takes the prize in composing vocal songs transcribed for piano solo, especially those of Franz Schubert, but many other composers, too. As a person who loves piano transcriptions, I immediately saw the release of a new Deutsche Grammophon CD [486 4842, 59:03] and knew it was something to have. To Max Reger [1873-1916], Brahms was a god. They knew each other, and as the booklet advises, Reger took that relationship to the farthest extent as possible in his life. It is not be surprising that Reger spent a good part of his compositional life taking Brahms songs — with the idea that he would not change anything dramatically — and that the vocal line would always be kept in the forefront, where it belongs. If a piano can "sing," Rudolf Buchbinder's Steinway D does a marvelous job in each piece presented on this 28-song collection. The Czech-born Austrian pianist has been around for a long time [born in 1946] and has many awards and recognitions to his credit as his discography and biography illuminates.

I must quote Buchbinder's note from the booklet: "Singing at the piano — desire and a lifelong quest on the pianist's part. When I stumbled upon the riches that are Max Reger's solo-piano arrangements of Brahms songs, I could not have been more enthusiastic. I found it profoundly moving to immerse myself in these precious jewels, to wander amongst them as if in some strange new world, and to allow myself to be drawn into the undertow of words that have been moulded into music. I hope that my listeners will enjoy this journey into an inner dimension, as well as having the time and the curiosity to explore each individual song and to experience the intensity of these works of art entirely without words."

Indeed, Rudolf Buchbinder renders the songs without words as Max Reger intended. He provides a sumptuous tone in a wide variety of sentiments found in the texts of the songs themselves. It is well recorded in a Berlin studio in January 2023. Highly recommended. ♫
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Re: Brahms lieder transcribed by Max Reger w/Buchbinder

Post by maestrob » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:34 am

Thanks, Lance! I'll be hearing this wonderful release today on Spotify. Sounds like a "buy" for me.