Finally: A fine tribute to piano man JOE PATRYCH

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Finally: A fine tribute to piano man JOE PATRYCH

Post by Lance » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:19 am

The March 2024 issue of Gramophone magazine gives the late piano man, Joseph Patrych [1955-2023] a tribute he assuredly deserves. It was my good fortune to have CMG member DONALD ISLER introduce me to Mr. Patrych at one of CMG's member meetings in New York City a few years ago. I was invited to Patrych's Bronx, New York studio where we had a wonderful opportunity to discuss pianists, recordings, see his studio, and to try out his fine Steinway concert grand piano. What a warm and fine gentleman, eager to share his many interesting stories and memories about many pianists whom we both knew and discuss rare recordings that only he and I knew about. Unfortunately, New York City did not give Patrych a newspaper spread, which he should have had. His passing was unexpected and came too early.

Now in the "A Letter From New York" column in the magazine, Jed Distler gives the touching story of the "piano man" that will warm your heart. Mr. Distler also thanks Donald Isler for his participation in the preparation of the full-page article. Patrych was also responsible for producing Donald Isler's recordings on his own KASP label. •
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Re: Finally: A fine tribute to piano man JOE PATRYCH

Post by maestrob » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:31 am

I look forward to reading this whenever my March issue of Gramophone arrives.