Orchestre Lamoureux

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

david johnson

Orchestre Lamoureux

Post by david johnson » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:00 am

When I was back in High School, I recall running across a few recordings by this orchestra. Were they on Command Classics? I know of some Markevich/DG products with this orchestra.

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Orchestre Lamoureux

Post by Lance » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:33 am

David, I have a number of recordings with the Lamoureux Orchestra; the name most associated as a conductor is Igor Markevitch. I have another old recording with Stravinsky conducting his Violin Concerto [Biddulph], and a couple with Charles Munch conducting. The biggest commercial labels seem to be Philips and DGG with Markevitch. There's a few recordings on EMI/Warner as well. I could not find anything on the Command label. A number of great soloists has recorded with the orchestra, such as Clara Haskil, David Oistrakh, André Navarra, and Jean Doyen. I think DGG reissued much of the Philips after their acquisition of Philips.
david johnson wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:00 am
When I was back in High School, I recall running across a few recordings by this orchestra. Were they on Command Classics? I know of some Markevich/DG products with this orchestra.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

mikealdren

Post by mikealdren » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:46 am

Grumiaux recorded a few things with them under Manual Rosenthal and Jean Fournet and Victoria de Los Angeles recorded her Chants d'Auvergne with them.
I also have quite a lot of operetta including Gressier and Markevitch's Offenbach.
In addition to Oistrakh's Stravinsky, Henri Merkel recorded Jean Hubeau's violin concerto.

david johnson

Post by david johnson » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:49 am

Thanks, guys. I just could not remember.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:02 am

david johnson wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:49 am
Thanks, guys. I just could not remember.
Hi, David.

It should be noted also that Markevitch recorded an outstanding Beethoven cycle in the mid-1950s with the Lamoruex orchestra, almost complete (minus the Fourth).