Véronique Gens: The complete "Chants d'Auvergne: 1st series" (Canteloube)

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

maestrob

Véronique Gens: The complete "Chants d'Auvergne: 1st series" (Canteloube)

Post by maestrob » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:46 am

97,217 views Apr 3, 2014
Chants d'Auvergne: 1st series (1923-30):
I. La pastoura als camps 00:00
II. Baïlèro 02:48
III. L'aio de rotso 08:02
IV. Ound'onoren gorda? 11:07
V. Obal, din lou limouzi 13:41

Canteloube, Joseph (1879-1957) -composer
Véronique Gens -soprano
Jean-Claude Casadesus -conductor
Lille National Orchestra

Chants d'Auvergne is a collection of folk songs from the Auvergne region of France arranged for soprano voice and orchestra or piano by Joseph Canteloube between 1923 and 1930. The songs are in the local language, Occitan. The best known of the songs is the "Baïlèro", which has been frequently recorded and performed in slight variations of Canteloube's arrangement, such as for choir or instrumental instead of the original soprano solo.

The first recording, of eleven of the songs, was by Madeleine Grey in 1930, with an ensemble conducted by Élie Cohen. The songs are part of the standard repertoire and have been recorded by many singers.

The melodic elements of two of these songs, "Baïlèro" and "Obal, din lou limouzi (La-bas dans le limousin)", were incorporated into William Walton's soundtrack for Laurence Olivier's film Henry V. "Baïlèro" (sometimes known as "Le Baylere" or "The Shepherd's Song") has also been re-arranged for full chorus by Goff Richards for the National Youth Choir of Great Britain. It was recorded by Tony Osborne Sound for use in a Dubonnet advertisement in 1972.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5TVKT0HbVo

Belle

Re: Véronique Gens: The complete "Chants d'Auvergne: 1st series" (Canteloube)

Post by Belle » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:25 pm

I love this soprano and am familiar with her work in the baroque repertoire, especially with Les Arts. She's superb.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:55 am

Indeed, these are wonderful songs - and fortunately there are quite a good number of recordings out. I favor those with Kiri Te Kanawa (Decca), Victoria de los Angeles (EMI/Warner), Veronique Gens (Naxos), Arlene Auger (Virgin), Kate Royal (EMI), Jill Gomez (EMI), Frederica von Stade (Sony or Orfeo), and Natania Davrath (Vanguard). And there's lots more, including some with the male voice. Song singers do not sing the whole set so be careful to get complete versions. I prefer the female voice in these gems. They get your blood moving.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:21 am

Lance wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:55 am
Indeed, these are wonderful songs - and fortunately there are quite a good number of recordings out. I favor those with Kiri Te Kanawa (Decca), Victoria de los Angeles (EMI/Warner), Veronique Gens (Naxos), Arlene Auger (Virgin), Kate Royal (EMI), Jill Gomez (EMI), Frederica von Stade (Sony or Orfeo), and Natania Davrath (Vanguard). And there's lots more, including some with the male voice. Song singers do not sing the whole set so be careful to get complete versions. I prefer the female voice in these gems. They get your blood moving.
Anna Moffo recorded a set of these with Leopold Stokowski for RCA that was my first exposure to them and has remained a favorite CD. I'm sure you have it! :wink:

Veronique Gens has recorded two volumes of Canteloube, as did Dame Kiri. Sadly, Victoria de Los Angeles only recorded a single LP late in her career, so hers is not a complete, but compelling, collection.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:26 am

The Moffo? I sure do have it! How could I forget? What a combo; Stokie & Moffo. It is right at the top of great recirdings.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]