"When Night Falls" - Elina Garanca, mezzo-soprano, DGG

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

"When Night Falls" - Elina Garanca, mezzo-soprano, DGG

Post by Lance » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:23 pm

Among present-day mezzo-sopranos I find enormously attractive is that of Elina Garanca, the Latvian singer born in 1976. To her credit is already an extensive catalogue of recordings on DGG, and a few on other labels. This particular new recital on DGG [486 4809] is lent to music for nightime. As soon as I saw Richard Strauss's Wiegenlied, Op. 41/1, I knew it had to be a must-have since that is among my most treasured songs of Strauss. So, we get dreamy, pensive music reminiscent of the night: Brahms and Schubert Lullabies, music by Falla, Montsalvatge, Berio (a surprising I Wonder as I Wander), Tosti (Sogno), del Rey, Pauls, Kalnins, Zalits and a traditional piece. Garanca's voice literally floats, is reminiscent of a very smooth velvet. She is joinged by pianist Malcolm Martineau, two guitarists, oboist Albrech Mayer, the Berlin Music Ensemble, the Philharmonic of the Grand Canaria, all under the direction of Karel Mark Chicon. Over 59 minutes of some extraordinary singing with some new material, all exceptionally well recorded. Highly recommended by one of the outstanding mezzos of today. •
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: "When Night Falls" - Elina Garanca, mezzo-soprano, DGG

Post by Lance » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:46 pm

Garanca has no fans? I think it is an important voice in today's world of singers.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]