What are you listening to?

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

johnQpublic

Post by johnQpublic » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:02 am

Two symphonies on LPs

Lutoslawski - Symphony #1 (Kranz/Muza)
Bazelon - Symphony #5 (Solomon/CRI)

Tomorrow begins my annual Classical Christmas Countdown....curtailed slightly since so many LPs and Cds are in storage.

greymouse

Post by greymouse » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:00 am

Messiaen - La Nativité du Seigneur for organ (played by Messiaen)

Foist

Post by Foist » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:01 pm

Murray Perahia playing the Goldberg Variations. The best.

By the way, hi all, I'm new to the site.

-Jonathan

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:10 pm

Nyestrom's Sinfonia espressiva (Mann/Stockholm PO)
If I could tell my mom and dad
That the things we never had
Never mattered we were always ok
Getting ready for Christmas day
--Paul Simon

johnQpublic

Post by johnQpublic » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:10 am

Classical Christmas - Day 1

Lehar - Rose de Noel

stlukesguild

Post by stlukesguild » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:40 pm

The very Best of Regine Crespin- EMI Classics
Stlukesguild

Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid

"To sit alone in the lamplight with a book spread out before you, and hold intimate conversation with men of unseen generations-such is pleasure beyond compare..."
Yoshida Kenko "Tsurezure-gusa" (Essays In Idleness) c1340.

miranda

Post by miranda » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:43 pm

Lorraine Hunt Lieberson, mezzo soprano, Peter Lieberson, composer, with James Levine and the BSO orchestra; a live recording from November 26th, 2005, of Peter Lieberson's Neruda Songs (the lyrics are poems--sonnets, in Spanish, by the Chilean poet Pablo Neruda.) (Nonesuch)

This is an profoundly emotional, poignant, lyrical, personal, and sublime recording. It's only a little over half an hour long, but it is worth every cent I paid for it. It's unforgettable. The late, amazing Lorraine, her widow Peter, and the liner notes by Alex Ross describe this music far more eloquently than I can. If you love classical operatic vocals that explore new territory, and impassioned, supremely heartfelt love songs, buy this release. You won't regret it.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.

Gary

Post by Gary » Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:18 am

J. Strauss II: Waltzes
Wiener Johann Strauss Orchester/Willi Boskovsky
EMI

johnQpublic

Post by johnQpublic » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:14 am

Classical Christmas - Day 2

A mix of 16th & 20th Century on LPs

Berezowsky - Christmas Festival Overture (CRI)
Eccard - Ich steh an deiner Krippen her (ABC Classics)
Dallapiccola - Concerto for Christmas (Candide)
Palestrina - O magnum mysterium (Angel)
Barber - Die Natali, Op.37 (Louisville)

Foist

Post by Foist » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:10 pm

Wow, I had no idea Lorraine Hunt Lieberson had died. I was immersed in studying for the bar exam at the time and not following the news. How tragic. I heard her give a wonderful performance of Melisande in a concert performance of Pelleas at Carnegie Hall by the BSO a few years ago.

In keeping with the thread, I'm listening to John Eliot Gardiner's recording of the Missa Solemnis.

johnshade

Post by johnshade » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:11 pm

Foist wrote:Murray Perahia playing the Goldberg Variations. The best.
I agree, with apologies to the great Glenn Gould.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:41 pm

Bruckner: Symphony No. 5 in B-flat; Symphony No. 6 in A
Staatskapelle Dresden
Eugen Jochum, cond.
EMI Classics

johnQpublic

Post by johnQpublic » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:17 am

Classical Christmas - Day 3

D'Aquin - Noel #6 (Pierre Verany)
Corrette - La belle vielleuse (Hungaroton)
Gade - The Jesus Child Lay in a Manager (Naxos)
Rheinberger - The Star of Bethlehem (Capriccio)

Foist

Post by Foist » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:39 am

moldyoldie wrote:Image

Staatskapelle Dresden
Eugen Jochum, cond.
EMI Classics
You know, I got the recording of the 8th Symphony from that series and it was marred by some really bad intonation and tone in the brass, among other orchestral quality problems. This is actually a problem I've heard on other Staatskapelle Dresden recordings. Are there similar problems with the 5th and 6th? (I have the Abbado/VPO recording of the 5th and I love it.) Could they just be a badly overrated orchestra?

In honor of the Israel Philharmonic's birthday, I'm currently listening to this recording (although it's a great recording not because of the orchestra, but because of Perahia).

johnQpublic

Post by johnQpublic » Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:39 pm

Classical Christmas - Day 4

Humperdinck - Overture to "Hansel & Gretel" (Klemperer)
Menotti - Amahl & The Night Visitors* (Grosssman)

*there really should be a sequel: Amahl & the Night Sweats" :lol:

Barry

Post by Barry » Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:43 pm

Shostakovich 10th symphony: Kondrashin/Moscow Philharmonic........Wow; what a performance!
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." - Abraham Lincoln

"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed." - Winston Churchill

"Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement." - Ronald Reagan

http://www.davidstuff.com/political/wmdquotes.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pbp0hur ... re=related

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:14 pm

Prokofiev: The Ugly Duckling - Summer Day - Overture on Hebrew Themes
Jouve/Theatre Des Champs Elysees [London Ducretet-Thomson DTL 93084]

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:16 pm

Foist wrote:
moldyoldie wrote:Image

Staatskapelle Dresden
Eugen Jochum, cond.
EMI Classics
You know, I got the recording of the 8th Symphony from that series and it was marred by some really bad intonation and tone in the brass, among other orchestral quality problems. This is actually a problem I've heard on other Staatskapelle Dresden recordings. Are there similar problems with the 5th and 6th? (I have the Abbado/VPO recording of the 5th and I love it.) Could they just be a badly overrated orchestra?
I've read that the Eighth had problems with both performance and recording; obviously, you can attest to it. The Fifth and Sixth, however, sound fine with the Fifth especially being interpretively distinctive.

Jochum seems to have a real affinity for Bruckner's sound world and symphonic "architecture". Unlike Klemperer, whose tempos are fairly rigid within a movement while coloring the orchestral balances, Jochum uses some subtle but effective rubato while building to the multiple climaxes usually found in a Bruckner symphony. In the Fifth, after a fairly even-tempoed first movement exposition and development, he gently accelerates the tempo in the coda to a most satisfyingly rapid conclusion. I've never heard it performed quite that way in the three other recordings I have - NP/Klemperer, CO/Dohnányi, and ChO/Solti. Of course, with the different editions of the Bruckner symphony scores being performed, one doesn't always know if it's the scoring itself or the interpretation that one prefers.

However, I still prefer Klemperer's recording of the Fourth to BP/Jochum and VP/Abbado, both on DG, as well as Klemperer's Sixth, which in my opinion is nonpareil compared to the few others I've heard.

Currently listening to...

Followed by...

Dvořák: Symphony No. 8; Symphony No. 9 "From the New World"
Columbia Symphony Orch.
Bruno Walter, cond.
Sony

This is my absolute favorite recording of the Dvořák Eighth!

Gary

Post by Gary » Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:18 am

The 1-CD Gergiev/Kirov (Mariinsky Theater) Orchestra Nutcracker, an otherwise complete recording, is only missing the repeat to the Grandfather Dance (not a big deal, in my opinion). No one does it quite as well as the Kirov/Mariinsky, which gave the ballet its world premiere in 1892.

Label: Philips

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:55 am

johnQpublic

Post by johnQpublic » Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:44 am

Classical Christmas - Day 5

Vaughn Williams - Hodie (Willcocks/Angel LP)

Barry

Post by Barry » Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:42 pm

moldyoldie wrote: However, I still prefer Klemperer's recording of the Fourth to BP/Jochum and VP/Abbado, both on DG, as well as Klemperer's Sixth, which in my opinion is nonpareil compared to the few others I've heard.
Have you heard Celibidache's recording of the sixth on EMI? I felt the same way about the Klemperer sixth that you do until I heard the Celi. I've never looked back since then. The Klemperer hasn't left my shelf in ages. Celibidache's sixth isn't nearly as slow as most of his other late recordings. I believe only the second movement is markedly slower than Klemperer's. He brings out divine phrasing and his orchestra sounded perfect for the music.
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." - Abraham Lincoln

"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed." - Winston Churchill

"Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement." - Ronald Reagan

http://www.davidstuff.com/political/wmdquotes.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pbp0hur ... re=related

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:33 pm

Haven't put on any Messiah recordings yet this month, but will probably play my Musica Sacra on BMG, or my Bernstein on Sony--what the Bernstein version lacks in contemporary scholarship, it more than makes up for in sheer soul. (I have heard Messiah some, mainly in re-watching A Christmas Without Snow, the 1980 TV movie starring Michael Learned & John Houseman, as the demanding old choirmaster.)

And it might be just after Xmas that I'll give another listen to Fiedler's Nutcracker excerpts, on BMG. This recording is no namby-pamby kiddie fantasy with Clara and her dolls, but rather Clara's bratty brother Fritz--with all the mice in tow--embarking on a drunken New Year's binge, zipping from tavern to tavern, that by the time it gets to the "Waltz of the Flowers," this group is so overwhelmed that they'd do well to hail a cab home.
--Paul Simon

RebLem
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112, 2 blocks west of the Breaking Bad carwash.

Post by RebLem » Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:13 am

In the week ending Saturday, December 23, 2006, I listened to the following:

1. 9/9 Beethoven: Syms 4 & 8 |Coriolan Overture--Menuhin, cond. Sinfonia Varsovia. Warner Classics Apex CD. Routine perfomrances.

2. 9/10 Tchaikovsky: The Seasons--Lydia Artymiw, piano--MHS CD, lic from Chandos. Excellent performance, well recorded--but see the next entry.

3. 10/10 Tchaikovsky: The Seasons |5 other short Tchaikovsky solo piano pieces--V Ashkenazy, piano--Decca CD. Superb performances, well recorded.

4. 10/10 Hindemith: When Lilacs Last in the Dooryard Bloom'd: A Requiem for Those We Love (1946)--Robert Shaw, cond., Atlanta Sym Orch & Chorus, William Stone, baritone, Jan DeGaetani, mezzo-soprano. Telarc CD. I suppose most know the basic outlines of the story behind this work. But just in case you haven't, this work was commissioned in 1945 by the very same Robert Shaw who conducts this performance. Hindemith got to work on it in February, 1946, right around the time he became a US citizen. It is a setting of extensive excerpts from Walt Whitman's poem of the same name. Whitman was mourning the loss of President Lincoln and many soldiers he had personally tended as a nurse during the war; Hindemith was mourning the loss of FDR and the soldiers who fought WWII. It is beautiful and poignant, but not maudlin, and tinged with a subdued sense of hope and promise for the future. This kind of thing was, of course, right up Shaw's alley, the sort of thing he did best, and this is a superb performance, extremely well recorded. Highly recommended.

5. 10/10 Mahler: Sym 1 with Blumine Movement--Leif Segerstam, cond. Danish National RSO. Chandos. As good as any, better than most, both as to performance and sound quality. For some reason (?), the Blumine movement is track 5 instead of track 2, so if you want the movements in the originally intended performing sequence, a little elementary fiddling is needed. but its not a big deal.

6. 10/10 Mahler: Sym 2--Segerstam, cond., Danish National RSO & Choir, Tina Kiberg, soprano, Kirsten Dolberg, contralto. This is, quite simply, the greatest Mahler Resurrection I have ever heard, head and shoulders above all the rest. Not just on balance, but in every movement, every section, every phrase, every aspect of the production both as to performance and sound quality. This is one for the ages, folks. Urgently recommended. You are cheating yourself if you don't get this one.

7. 10/10 Mahler: Sym 3--Segerstam, cond. Danish National RSO & Choir, Copenhagen Boys' Choir. Anne Gjevang, contralto. Chandos. As with the first, this is as good as any, better than most.

I must say, this Segerstam set has a very auspicious beginning. If it turns out to be of as uniformly high quality as these three symphonies, this will turn out to be my favorite set. I still haven't listened to the Kubelik, Chailly, or Bertini sets (though I have them--they are pending, all sitting in a pile underneath the Segerstam box, nor have I heard the new Boulez 2nd, though I also have that. But I have and have listened to the complete sets by Abbado, Abravanel, Bernstein Sony, Bernstein DGG, and the 3rd Bernstein Resurraction with the LSO, the Haitink set, Inbal, Sinopoli, Solti, Tabakov (Sofia Phil on Capriccio), and Tennstedt, as well and individual Resurrections by Kaplan, 2 Klemperers, Leonard Slatkin, Michael Tilson Thomas, and Bruno Walter, and I am telling you that Segerstam is better than any of them in each and every movement of the 2nd, and competitive with or better than all the others in 1 & 3.
Don't drink and drive. You might spill it.--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, former Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.

johnQpublic

Post by johnQpublic » Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:01 am

Classical Christmas - Final Day

Howells - Sing Lullaby (Lumsden/Nimbus)
Kelly - Improvisations on Christmas Carols (Sutherland/Naxos)
Britten - Christ's Nativity (Christmas Suite for Chorus) (Bedford/Collins)
Jongen - Fantaisie pour deux noels populaires wallons (Kofman/Cypres)

bOrbOt

Post by bOrbOt » Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:11 pm

Mozart - Violin Sonata In A Major, K.526

Violinist- Hilary Hahn
Pianist- Natalie Zhu

The second movement, at certain points, has a melody that is very similar to the 2nd movement of Mendelsohn's Italian Symphony. That's what I heard when listening to this gorgeous piece.

Belsazar

Post by Belsazar » Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:33 pm

right now i'm listening to christmas' songs on the radio :shock: (it's 9:30 PM in argentina)
but today i've been listening to some schumann lieder (for example "Belsazar" :D ).
salut! bye!

Gary

Post by Gary » Mon Dec 25, 2006 4:06 am

Welcome, Belsazar.

Well, having listened to the Kirov/Gergiev recording of The Nutcracker a couple of days ago, it wouldn't be complete not to watch a Kirov production of the ballet; so I did. Below is conducted by that theater's veteran ballet conductor, Viktor Fedotov.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:41 am

Barry Z wrote:
moldyoldie wrote: However, I still prefer Klemperer's recording of the Fourth to BP/Jochum and VP/Abbado, both on DG, as well as Klemperer's Sixth, which in my opinion is nonpareil compared to the few others I've heard.
Have you heard Celibidache's recording of the sixth on EMI? I felt the same way about the Klemperer sixth that you do until I heard the Celi. I've never looked back since then. The Klemperer hasn't left my shelf in ages. Celibidache's sixth isn't nearly as slow as most of his other late recordings. I believe only the second movement is markedly slower than Klemperer's. He brings out divine phrasing and his orchestra sounded perfect for the music.
No, I'm afraid the only one I've heard from EMI's Celibidache Bruckner series is the one I'm listening to now...

It's certainly "divine" and definitely a keeper -- a fine complement to the swifter, leaner, and more muscular Klemperer. Perhaps the others in the series may come my way once they're priced more affordably. :wink:

(edit)
No, I wouldn't even call this a complement to Klemperer, more like a class unto itself -- it's that "different"!

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:35 am

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:20 pm

To jserraglio:

I just bought for 25 cents from the nearest Half-Price Books outlet the 2-DISC SET reissue containing that Roman trilogy, as well as Respighi's The Birds & Church Windows on the second disc.
--Paul Simon

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:47 pm

The previous few days, though, I've had on:

Godowsky's Piano Sonata in e (Hamelin) &
Sinding's Piano Sonata in b (Lowenthal)
--Paul Simon

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:44 am

Morning reveille! :D

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:00 am

Wallingford wrote:To jserraglio: I just bought for 25 cents from the nearest Half-Price Books outlet the 2-DISC SET reissue containing that Roman trilogy, as well as Respighi's The Birds & Church Windows on the second disc.
I like that one along with the Debussy Album twofer. Speaking of Half-Price Books, I just bought Ormandy's Respighi Essential Classics CD there a couple days ago. A lot of LP vinyl appears at the store I shop--they recently raised their price from a dollar a disk to 2 dollars per item but compensated by offering only mint or near mint condition records--so a 7 disk set of Szell's LvB symphonies went for 2 bucks.

Just picked up on vinyl there:
  • --Solti/Hillis's Verdi Requiem--magnificent Chicago forces
    --Verdi's Otello in English on an EMI import, ENO, Mark Elder cond
    --Mehta's 2-disk tribute to the Israel Philharmonic on London
    --a sealed copy of Artie Shaw, featuring Roy Eldridge, RCA LPV-582 part of RCA's great Vintage Series
And on CD, four volumes from the Milken Archive of American Jewish Music.

Currently listening to another Ormandy Schuman recording & the exciting Leon Kirchner Piano Concerto with Mitropoulos.

Gary

Post by Gary » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:57 am

Edwin Fischer plays Mozart

Piano Concerto No. 24 in C minor, K. 491

Piano Concerto No. 22 in E flat major, K. 482

Rondo for piano & orchestra in D major, K. 382

Royal Danish Orchestra
Label: Music & Arts
CD-872

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:39 am

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:50 am

<div align="left">"That's the way Stravinsky was - bup bup bup - The poor guy's dead now - play it legato."--Ormandy

Gary

Post by Gary » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:29 am

Complete Chopin Waltzes, Scherzos, and Preludes

Ashkenazy

Double Decca series

GK

Post by GK » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:03 pm

Mahler Symphonies 2 and 4, Antoni Wit, Polish National RSO

RebLem
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112, 2 blocks west of the Breaking Bad carwash.

Post by RebLem » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:59 am

In the week ending Saturday, January 30, 2006, I listened to the following:

1 ) 10/10 A 2 CD issue from 2005 by the Chicago Symphony entitled "A Tribute to Pierre Boulez," consisting of recordings of live concert performances conducted by Pierre Boulez. CD 1 has Bach/Schoenberg: Prelude & Fuge in E flat Major (St Anne), S. 552 (15:39) from Dec 7, 1991 |Boulez: Fanfare for the 80th Birthday of Sir Georg Solti (6:00), Nov. 19, 1992 |Mahler: Three Ruckert Lieder (12:00), Jose van Dam, bass-baritone, Nov. 29 & 30, 1996 |Strauss: Till Eulenspiegel's lustige Streiche, Op. 28 (15:28 ) Nov. 24-25, 1995 |Messiaen: L/ascension (21:49) Nov 29-30, 1996. CD 2--Boulez: Livre pour cordes (10:13) Dec 2 & 4, 1999 |Debussy: 4 Symphonic Fragments from Le martyre de Saint Sebastien (20:50), Dec. 14-15, 1995 |Janacek: Glagolitic Mass (42:58 ) Nov 2 & 4, 2000, various soloists. To me, the Strauss, Messiaen, and Janacek are the pieces of greatest interest her; these are superb performances, excellent sound.

2 ) 10/10 Albeniz: Piano Concerto 1 in A Minor, Op 78--Orchestra di Torino, Alberto Zedda, cond. |Villa-Lobos: Piano Concerto 5--Vienna Sym Orch., Villa-Lobos, cond. Felicia Blunenthal, pianist in both works.--Dureco CD

3 ) 10/10 Bach, J.S.: the 4 Organ Toccatas, and 6 Schubler Chorales, S 645-650--John Butt, Organ of Trinity College, Cambridge. harmonia mundi usa CD.

4 ) 8/9 Beethoven: Sym 9--Menuhin, cond Sinfonia Varsovia, Jean Glennon, soprano, Dalia Schaechter, contralto, Algirdas Janutas, tenor, Benno Schollum, bass. Warner Classics apex CD. It picks up some energy in about the last 8-10 minutes, but this performance, and this set generally, is a huge disappointment.

5 ) 9/10 Schumann: Bunte Blatter, Op. 99 |4 Fugues, Op. 72 |4 Marches, Op. 76 |Scherzo in F Minor, Op. Posth. |Allegro, Op. 8--Jorg Demus, piano. Nuovo Era CD, Vol 12 of 13 of Schumann's complete solo piano works.

6 ) 10/10 Schumann: ABEGG Variations, Op. 1 |Papillons, Op 2 |Piano Sonata in G Minor, Op 22 |Presto in G Minor, Op. Posth. |Impromptus on a theme of Clara Wieck, Op. 5--Jorg Demus, piano. Nuovo Era CD, Vol 13 of 13 of Schumann's complete solo piano works.

7 ) 10/10 Mahler : Sym 4--Segerstam, Danish National RSO, Eva Johansson, soprano. CHANDOS. One of the better performances of this work.

8 ) 10/10 Mahler: Sym 5--Segerstam, Danish National RSO. CHANDOS. One of the better recordings of this work.

9 ) 10/10 Smith, Richard W.: Mountain Requiem (1999) (49:07)--composer cond Mountain Choral & Orch, Robert Breault, tenor solosit. Arisona University Recordings CD. I got this for a few bucks @ Berkshire Record Outlet, but it is also available from www.AURec.com along with other recordings by this label. Mr. Smith, born 1965, is an American composer who lives with his wife and daughter in the mountains of northern Utah. He started work on this piece in 1996, shortly after his first publisher died; shortly after, his own father died, and it became a project to commemorate the lives of both. In some ways, it sounds like it owes much to the musical language, though not the social message, of Bernstein's Mass. This is a pious, non-political work. However, it involves mass choruses and an orchestra playing full bore with little relief from instrumental, solo, or quiet passages of any kind.
Don't drink and drive. You might spill it.--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, former Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:06 am

Osvaldo Golijov - Ainadamar

checking it out via streaming audio - Napster.com lets you listen to an entire album online - I'm taking advantage of their generosity this morning before buying this opera.

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:29 pm

.....focusing on Les Six these days:
Poulenc's 2-Piano Concerto (Eden & Tamir/Commissiona/OSR)
Honegger's Fifth (Baudo/CPO)
......also, I've got a rented video of The Spider And The Fly, with music by Auric
--Paul Simon

Gary

Post by Gary » Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:19 pm

Watching and listening to Die Fledermaus

Wiener Staatsoper

TDK

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:38 am

Disc #2 of 2
Schumann: Symphony No. 3 "Rhenish"; Symphony No. 4
Staatskapelle Berlin
Daniel Barenboim, cond.
Teldec

I've probably "wasted" more money on different recordings trying to ascertain the lasting attraction of Schumann's symphonies -- Masur, Dohnányi, Levine, Norrington, Karajan, and now Barenboim. I think it's the overly dense orchestration that wears on me a bit; the sound picture too often seems muddy -- yet I keep trying, there are so many facets that I like. (Plus, it worked with Sibelius!) The Rhenish is probably my favorite of the four, though the others have their fine moments.

As a complete set, I also tend to prefer Kurt Masur's lighter, less massive approach with the London Philharmonic -- more Classical than Romantic. Masur's orchestra also seems "leaner" and hence the recording sounds more transparent -- baked whitefish instead of prime rib. Barenboim definitely exemplifies the latter approach; one might prefer prime rib on occasion. I suppose Masur and Barenboim complement each other in a collection. In any case, the playing here is very fine, though I wish Barenboim wouldn't groan so much, it only adds to the dense orchestration. :P

Oh, Happy New Year!
Last edited by moldyoldie on Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GK

Post by GK » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:19 am

This morning, over 2 hours of Johann Strauss:
Willi Boshkovsky, Johann Strauss Orchestra
Rudolf Kempe, VPO

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:36 am

Johann Strauss waltzes may be the traditional choice, but for my first CD listening experience of the new year, the honor went to Beethoven's Diabelli Variations, played by Rudolf Serkin. A great piece of music performed by a master interpreter...what could be a better start for 2007?

CharmNewton

Post by CharmNewton » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:08 am

Beethoven: Symphony No. 9
Chicago Symphony Orchestra and Chorus
Fritz Reiner, conducting

Phyllis Curtin, Soprano
Florence Kopleff, Contralto
John McCollum, Tenor
Donald Gramm, Bass

RCA Papillon Collection CD (6532-2-RG)

The Beethoven 9th at the New Year has been a tradition of mine for many years and I decided to listen to Reiner's this year as part of a re-exploration of his recordings. This one does not disappoint, with a number of details emerging from the orchestra (especially in the brasses) not heard in other recordings. Reiner makes it easy to listen to the beauty of Beethoven's writing. The choral singing is well reproduced, firm and clear. RCA hasn't give this recording Living Stereo or SACD mastering. Perhaps it will be a candidate one day.

John

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:34 pm

.....have had a BERGEN PHILHARMONIC comp in the walkman these days:
Tubin's Fourth (Jarvi)
Some yummies from Liadov, namely Baba Yaga, Kikimora, and 8 Russian Folktunes (Kitayenko)
AND, Schumann's First, in a beauty-salon treatment by Mahler (I must say--Mahler DOES emasculate the poor man.......anyway, Ceccato's seen fit to conduct it)
--Paul Simon

Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:44 pm

Shostakovich - String quartet 13
Workers of the World Unite!
Agitate for Global Revolution and the Dictatorship of the Proletariat!

J Nguyen

Post by J Nguyen » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:45 pm

Martinu- Epic of Gilgamesh
Kosler/ Slovak Philharmonic Orchestra and Choir
Naxos