The Classical Music Guide Forums

Welcome to the new Classical Music Guide Online Forums!
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 1:06 pm
Posts: 8422
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112 since 2/02, formerly lived in Wrigleyville, Chicago.
Stephen J King has written an X-rated and very funny and very serious angry rant on his fellow one percenters in The Daily Beast. If I actually published the text, the text editor would probably censor it, and if not, some people would be ticked off at me for this secondary issue which I do not want to be a bone of contention, so I am exercising an option I seldom do--submitting just the link.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... -sake.html

_________________
Don't drink and drive. You might spill it.--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:29 pm 
Offline
Military Band Specialist

Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:15 pm
Posts: 23462
Location: Stony Creek, New York
Geez, the guy can write after all (insert emoticon for sheer admiration).

_________________

There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.
-- Johann Sebastian Bach


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:41 am
Posts: 13389
Location: New York, NY
Wow! (He's right, you know...)

_________________
John Francis


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm
Posts: 8006
Location: new york city
RebLem wrote:


Bravo! Bravisimo! Regards, Len :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 1:06 pm
Posts: 8422
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112 since 2/02, formerly lived in Wrigleyville, Chicago.
I keep wondering if Romney has a cherry orchard at one of his homes.

_________________
Don't drink and drive. You might spill it.--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:24 am
Posts: 807
Location: Isle of Arran, Scotland.
jbuck919 wrote:
Geez, the guy can write after all (insert emoticon for sheer admiration).


Did you think he couldn't?

:?:

_________________
"I did it for the music."
Ken Colyer


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:32 am 
Offline
Military Band Specialist

Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:15 pm
Posts: 23462
Location: Stony Creek, New York
Mark Harwood wrote:
jbuck919 wrote:
Geez, the guy can write after all (insert emoticon for sheer admiration).


Did you think he couldn't?

:?:


I find this essay of far higher quality than the pedestrian writing in King's books. As Harold Bloom put it when he was forced to include King as an author in some series for which he was the overall editor, "To read Stephen King is not to read." There are also excellent novelists whose writing apart from their fiction is undistinguished, as well as talents such as George Orwell who have been good at both.

_________________

There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.
-- Johann Sebastian Bach


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:24 am
Posts: 807
Location: Isle of Arran, Scotland.
C'm on, Harold Bloom is a bit highbrow to be passing judgement on popular fiction. I wouldn't be the least bit interested in Schoenberg's views on King Oliver either.

_________________
"I did it for the music."
Ken Colyer


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:41 pm
Posts: 6612
Location: Beverly Hills, California
Mark Harwood wrote:
C'm on, Harold Bloom is a bit highbrow to be passing judgement on popular fiction. I wouldn't be the least bit interested in Schoenberg's views on King Oliver either.


I agree. Bloom's framework for evaluation is a bit too structured for the likes of King.

_________________
"I have recently been reading a fascinating, nasty, turgid book called the 'Philosophy of Modern Music' by the German sociologist and aesthetician Theodor Adorno… Adorno confirms what I've been saying by pointing out in his Hegelian way, that the big split is to be conceived dialectically, or to use his language, as logical antinomies of the same cultural crisis." - Leonard Bernstein

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:12 pm 
Offline
Military Band Specialist

Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:15 pm
Posts: 23462
Location: Stony Creek, New York
Mark Harwood wrote:
C'm on, Harold Bloom is a bit highbrow to be passing judgement on popular fiction. I wouldn't be the least bit interested in Schoenberg's views on King Oliver either.


It is more like King does not belong on any list of authors who are to be the subjects of critical essays by or edited by Bloom. But I can't blame King for writing all those trash novels when they made him so much money, even though he is apparently capable of better writing. If I had been lucky enough to stumble on a winning formula at just the right time and had the stamina to churn out all that stuff year after year, I would also have done that rather than write for quality because it would have made me a wealthy man. As Samuel Johnson said, nobody but a blockhead ever wrote for any reason other than to make money. (It's not really true, but a great man said it and it fits. :) )

_________________

There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.
-- Johann Sebastian Bach


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:24 am
Posts: 807
Location: Isle of Arran, Scotland.
SK has written a couple that I didn't enjoy, but I'd be hard pressed to describe more than maybe three as trash, except those he wrote under the pseudonym "Richard Bachman".
For those who haven't read SK, I'd recommend "The Man Who Loved Tom Gordon".

_________________
"I did it for the music."
Ken Colyer


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:40 pm 
Offline
Military Band Specialist

Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:15 pm
Posts: 23462
Location: Stony Creek, New York
Mark Harwood wrote:
SK has written a couple that I didn't enjoy, but I'd be hard pressed to describe more than maybe three as trash, except those he wrote under the pseudonym "Richard Bachman".
For those who haven't read SK, I'd recommend "The Man Who Loved Tom Gordon".


Richard Bachman is not a depository for inferior works but a coincidence related to the speed with which King turned out his, um, stuff. His publisher made him use a pseudonym because people would buy novels simultaneously from two different authors before they would buy two new ones from the same author. And you mean "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon." If he had written a novel called "The Man Who Loved Tom Gordon," it is probable that all bets would be off.

Nobody wants to deny you your guilty pleasures, Mark. God knows I enjoyed the two then extant novels of Dan Brown while passing time on a flight (of course anything that is so wrong about so much that I happen to know about also engages another part of my brain). But nothing could cause a Stephen King novel to divert me even mildly, and I have tried several times. He is a ghastly hack.

_________________

There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.
-- Johann Sebastian Bach


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:24 am
Posts: 807
Location: Isle of Arran, Scotland.
jbuck919 wrote:
Mark Harwood wrote:
SK has written a couple that I didn't enjoy, but I'd be hard pressed to describe more than maybe three as trash, except those he wrote under the pseudonym "Richard Bachman".
For those who haven't read SK, I'd recommend "The Man Who Loved Tom Gordon".


Richard Bachman is not a depository for inferior works but a coincidence related to the speed with which King turned out his, um, stuff. His publisher made him use a pseudonym because people would buy novels simultaneously from two different authors before they would buy two new ones from the same author. And you mean "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon." If he had written a novel called "The Man Who Loved Tom Gordon," it is probable that all bets would be off.

Nobody wants to deny you your guilty pleasures, Mark. God knows I enjoyed the two then extant novels of Dan Brown while passing time on a flight (of course anything that is so wrong about so much that I happen to know about also engages another part of my brain). But nothing could cause a Stephen King novel to divert me even mildly, and I have tried several times. He is a ghastly hack.


:oops:
Er, yes, it's "The GIRL...." It's one of his plotless yet absorbing pieces, and quite short.
Of course it's each to his own when it comes to the pleasures of reading. I used to enjoy more literary works, such as those by great Russian authors, but not these days. Even so, I've managed to avoid Dan Brown.
Last point: SK can be very funny.

_________________
"I did it for the music."
Ken Colyer


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:21 am 
Offline
Composer-in-Residence

Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:12 am
Posts: 9131
Location: Boston, MA
jbuck919 wrote:
. . . But I can't blame King for writing all those trash novels when they made him so much money, even though he is apparently capable of better writing.

It might (or it might not) have been on CMG itself that I read of Michael Caine having been asked about one of the Jaws movies (whichever one he was in) . . . his reply was something like, I've not seen it, and rumor tells that it is a wretched movie, "but the house which it bought me is lovely."

Cheers,
~Karl

_________________
Karl Henning, PhD
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston, Massachusetts
http://members.tripod.com/~Karl_P_Henning/
http://henningmusick.blogspot.com/
Published by Lux Nova Press
http://www.luxnova.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:20 pm 
Offline
Military Band Specialist

Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:15 pm
Posts: 23462
Location: Stony Creek, New York
karlhenning wrote:
jbuck919 wrote:
. . . But I can't blame King for writing all those trash novels when they made him so much money, even though he is apparently capable of better writing.

It might (or it might not) have been on CMG itself that I read of Michael Caine having been asked about one of the Jaws movies (whichever one he was in) . . . his reply was something like, I've not seen it, and rumor tells that it is a wretched movie, "but the house which it bought me is lovely."



Caine wasn't in any of the Jaws movies, but I believe he said that of his starring role in The Island, which is also based on a Peter Benchley book (and yes, Caine is famous for his nonchalance about being in bad movies only for the money). In fact, Benchley, as the grandson of Robert Benchley and a writer who could have gone in several directions, was a candidate for the phenomenon we're talking about.

_________________

There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.
-- Johann Sebastian Bach


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:38 pm 
Offline
Composer-in-Residence

Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:12 am
Posts: 9131
Location: Boston, MA
Thanks for the corrigendum, John!

Anyway, I think Caine deserves his nice house even if only for playing Charlie Croaker in The Italian Job.

Cheers,
~Karl

_________________
Karl Henning, PhD
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston, Massachusetts
http://members.tripod.com/~Karl_P_Henning/
http://henningmusick.blogspot.com/
Published by Lux Nova Press
http://www.luxnova.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group