Busy day for Clinton

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

DavidRoss

Busy day for Clinton

Post by DavidRoss » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:38 pm

"Most men, including those at ease with problems of the greatest complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most obvious truth if it would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions which they have delighted in explaining to colleagues, which they have proudly taught to others, and which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabric of their lives." ~Leo Tolstoy

"It is the highest form of self-respect to admit our errors and mistakes and make amends for them. To make a mistake is only an error in judgment, but to adhere to it when it is discovered shows infirmity of character." ~Dale Turner

"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either." ~Albert Einstein
"Truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it and ignorance may deride it; but, in the end, there it is." ~Winston Churchill

Barry

Re: Busy day for Clinton

Post by Barry » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:48 pm

On the surface, this may look good. But I hope she isn't making empty threats that won't be followed through on (something her husband used to do at times). Once it becomes apparent to interested parties, both those directly involved and those merely observing, that your threats or warnings are empty, it's difficult to credibly deter anyone to not take certain actions in the future.
Last edited by Barry on Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." - Abraham Lincoln

"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed." - Winston Churchill

"Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement." - Ronald Reagan

http://www.davidstuff.com/political/wmdquotes.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pbp0hur ... re=related

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Post by Corlyss_D » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:52 pm

Barry wrote:
On the surface, this may look good. But I hope she isn't making empty threats that won't be followed through on (something her husband used to do at times). Once it becomes apparent to interested parties, both those directly involved and those merely observing, that your threats or warnings are empty, it's difficult to credibly warn anyone to not take certain actions in the future.
You beat me to it. Talking tough is something Dims are good at. It's follow-thru they lack and everyone knows it. Believe me, the world isn't watching what we say; they are watching what we do.
Corlyss
Contessa d'EM, a carbon-based life form

piston

Post by piston » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:11 pm

She can be scary at times. I'd be careful if I were them:
In the eyes of those lovers of perfection, a work is never finished—a word that for them has no sense—but abandoned....(Paul Valéry)

Barry

Post by Barry » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:59 am

Talk about a test. I'm sure North Korean officials are aware that a number of former American officials, Democrats and Republicans, have put forth the notion of shooting rockets while they're still on the launch pad; before they can be tested. Well North Korea is announcing to the world that it's on the pad and will be there for a while; essentially daring us to do something about it.
I don't think we're going to do anything about it other than more statements and virtually meaningless (at least to the people in power over there) sanctions. But we'll see.
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." - Abraham Lincoln

"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed." - Winston Churchill

"Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement." - Ronald Reagan

DavidRoss

Post by DavidRoss » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:30 am

Barry wrote:Talk about a test. I'm sure North Korean officials are aware that a number of former American officials, Democrats and Republicans, have put forth the notion of shooting rockets while they're still on the launch pad; before they can be tested. Well North Korea is announcing to the world that it's on the pad and will be there for a while; essentially daring us to do something about it.
I don't think we're going to do anything about it other than more statements and virtually meaningless (at least to the people in power over there) sanctions. But we'll see.
I know, and it is worrisome. Apparently Hillary--like her husband before her--hasn't quite been able to grasp the virtues of Roosevelt's foreign policy maxim: Talk softly and carry a big stick.

What worries me about this sort of thing is that, just like similar "smack talk" among street punks, it can escalate into a situation where no one can back down without losing face, thus drawing us into otherwise avoidable violent conflict.

Damn but I wish we could go back to something closer to Jefferson's ideal, with a government of part-timers doing only the jobs that need doing and bringing a wealth of real-world know-how to the task! Instead we keep getting more and more enmeshed in a government of lawyers, a permanent class of ruling nincompoops who don't know their asses from their elbows yet are incredibly arrogant in their exercise of power with real world consequences even for unborn generations. We'd probably be much better off with a government of public servants drawn by lottery from a pool of truck drivers, farmers, office workers, warehouse laborers, retail clerks, and so on.
"Most men, including those at ease with problems of the greatest complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most obvious truth if it would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions which they have delighted in explaining to colleagues, which they have proudly taught to others, and which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabric of their lives." ~Leo Tolstoy

"It is the highest form of self-respect to admit our errors and mistakes and make amends for them. To make a mistake is only an error in judgment, but to adhere to it when it is discovered shows infirmity of character." ~Dale Turner

"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either." ~Albert Einstein
"Truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it and ignorance may deride it; but, in the end, there it is." ~Winston Churchill

Steinway

Post by Steinway » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:38 pm

Corlyss_D wrote:
Barry wrote:
On the surface, this may look good. But I hope she isn't making empty threats that won't be followed through on (something her husband used to do at times). Once it becomes apparent to interested parties, both those directly involved and those merely observing, that your threats or warnings are empty, it's difficult to credibly warn anyone to not take certain actions in the future.
You beat me to it. Talking tough is something Dims are good at. It's follow-thru they lack and everyone knows it. Believe me, the world isn't watching what we say; they are watching what we do.
So, Corlyss, all that "Tough Talk" by Bush and Cheney about finding and punishing Bin Laden should be viewed as "empty Threats", according to your statement. Is that why he's not only free but has built his network of terrorists to the extent they are now? I guess he knew he didn't have to concern himself about his future, since he's been enjoying the luxury of empty threats with no commitment behind it? :wink:

Barry

Post by Barry » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:48 pm

Cliftwood wrote:
Corlyss_D wrote:
Barry wrote:
So, Corlyss, all that "Tough Talk" by Bush and Cheney about finding and punishing Bin Laden should be viewed as "empty Threats", according to your statement. Is that why he's not only free but has built his network of terrorists to the extent they are now? I guess he knew he didn't have to concern himself about his future, since he's been enjoying the luxury of empty threats with no commitment behind it? :wink:
Does it really take that much thought to understand the difference between making threats or warnings made in advance that can be carried out at will and those made after the fact that can only be attempted, but not guaranteed? Typical.

There is only one way to guarantee getting Bin Laden, but you'd start screaming about how immoral it is as soon as it was proposed.

Steinway

Post by Steinway » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:32 pm

Barry..

Your answer to my post is nonsense.

By the way, I have no problem being labeled as moral. It's the way I was raised. But I have noticed that whenever morality is the
issue, you are consistent in your scorn for those who have such views.

Again, Corlyss, consistent as usual, labels we Dims and weak, unable to deal with hard issues and the Repugnants as the strong ones. That leads us back to the Bin Laden issue, which you tried to explain for her, but failed to accomplish.