World Atheism Conference Starts in Melbourne

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Teresa B

Re: World Atheism Conference Starts in Melbourne

Post by Teresa B » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:06 am

Corlyss_D wrote:
Teresa B wrote:On the other hand, I read that Europe's casting aside of Christianity is a factor in the Darwinian struggle with Islam, because of their lack of cohesiveness.
That's somewhat contrary to what I've read. That is, the post-war and the rise of the welfare state that services all needs and lately aggressively legal secularism has done a number on religious observance in Europe for the last 60 years. I don't quite understand how Darwinism figures in this.
I didn't read it somewhere else (sorry for confusion), I was referring to Barry's comment about the evolutionary strategy. (And Barry, I did not infer from your comment that the "strategy" is necessarily purposeful.)
Corlyss_D wrote:
Teresa B wrote:So I guess I'm not sure exactly how the analogy flies. In any case, I can see the futility of being tolerant of those who would murder you. As something of an idealist, I would like to think there is some solution other than extreme intolerance--or the other extreme, PC multiculturalism to a fault.
Intergration is the answer, but it won't come from PC multiculturalism. Tolerance is a virtue borne of practical necessity, not something that can be legislated or compelled by refusing to acknowledge legitmate concerns about the loss of a sense of identity.
I agree! It's easy to see that equal tolerance among everyone would lead to a much better situation, and integration/assimilation of immigrants would be the ideal scenario. I would love to have my Italian-American grandparents to talk to about this (they died when I was too young to ask them). They lived here in Tampa in a large Italian/Latino neighborhood, but somehow they coexisted just fine with others in the town, proudly taking on "American" values while maintaining their sense of cultural cohesion.

Teresa
"We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad." ~ The Cheshire Cat

Author of the novel "Creating Will"

Daisy

Re: World Atheism Conference Starts in Melbourne

Post by Daisy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:39 am

And these #ssh#l#s accuse other people of annoying them with prosthelityzing! Hypocrits!
"Your notions, though many,
are not worth a penny."
(...Thank you, KoKo)