Any Jeff Greenfield fans here?

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Barry

Any Jeff Greenfield fans here?

Post by Barry » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:16 am

He's sitting about 10 feet from me. Must be here to interview someone.
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." - Abraham Lincoln

"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed." - Winston Churchill

"Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement." - Ronald Reagan

http://www.davidstuff.com/political/wmdquotes.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pbp0hur ... re=related

Barry

Re: Any Jeff Greenfield fans here?

Post by Barry » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:32 pm

I may be on CBS Sunday morning (I think that's Greenfield's current network ... I don't watch tv news for the most part). He started an interview right next to my desk. I may be in the background as they are filmed walking and talking. I'll be the guy with the Phillies hat on if any of you see it.

I heard Greenfield mention to his interviewee that it's for Sunday morning.
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." - Abraham Lincoln

"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed." - Winston Churchill

"Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement." - Ronald Reagan

DavidRoss

Post by DavidRoss » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:43 pm

Who's he interviewing?
"Most men, including those at ease with problems of the greatest complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most obvious truth if it would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions which they have delighted in explaining to colleagues, which they have proudly taught to others, and which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabric of their lives." ~Leo Tolstoy

"It is the highest form of self-respect to admit our errors and mistakes and make amends for them. To make a mistake is only an error in judgment, but to adhere to it when it is discovered shows infirmity of character." ~Dale Turner

"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either." ~Albert Einstein
"Truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it and ignorance may deride it; but, in the end, there it is." ~Winston Churchill

Barry

Post by Barry » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:47 pm

DavidRoss wrote:Who's he interviewing?
Believe it or not, I think the story is about obituary writers. I heard someone say there is a convention of them going on in Philadelphia this week and I heard Greenfield or one of the people with him say the word "obituary."

I actually thought Greenfield was Michael Barone when he first walked in. Based on the photo of Barone that appears next to his columns, they have a similar look.

DavidRoss

Post by DavidRoss » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:27 pm

Sounds like a "CBS Sunday Morning" sort of piece. Around here, Sunday mornings usually start with coffee, then "Meet the Press" at six, followed by "CBS Sunday Morning," two of the few TV shows we make a point of seeing, so there's a chance we may see it. If so, I'll keep an eye out for the Phillies hat! :wink:
"Most men, including those at ease with problems of the greatest complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most obvious truth if it would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions which they have delighted in explaining to colleagues, which they have proudly taught to others, and which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabric of their lives." ~Leo Tolstoy

"It is the highest form of self-respect to admit our errors and mistakes and make amends for them. To make a mistake is only an error in judgment, but to adhere to it when it is discovered shows infirmity of character." ~Dale Turner

"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either." ~Albert Einstein
"Truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it and ignorance may deride it; but, in the end, there it is." ~Winston Churchill

Barry

Post by Barry » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:55 pm

DavidRoss wrote:Sounds like a "CBS Sunday Morning" sort of piece. Around here, Sunday mornings usually start with coffee, then "Meet the Press" at six, followed by "CBS Sunday Morning," two of the few TV shows we make a point of seeing, so there's a chance we may see it. If so, I'll keep an eye out for the Phillies hat! :wink:
The Sunday morning panel and interview shows are about the only news I occasionally watch. They're more tolerable than the shows on the cable news networks at night.

DavidRoss

Post by DavidRoss » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:25 pm

Barry wrote:
DavidRoss wrote:Sounds like a "CBS Sunday Morning" sort of piece. Around here, Sunday mornings usually start with coffee, then "Meet the Press" at six, followed by "CBS Sunday Morning," two of the few TV shows we make a point of seeing, so there's a chance we may see it. If so, I'll keep an eye out for the Phillies hat! :wink:
The Sunday morning panel and interview shows are about the only news I occasionally watch. They're more tolerable than the shows on the cable news networks at night.
We're pretty addicted to McNeil Lehrer...oops...the PBS News Hour, not for their daily news survey but for the feature pieces and interviews, usually three fifteen-minute pieces per telecast. If we're in on Friday evening, we get to catch David Brooks's usually thoughtful and often bemused commentary. (Can't PBS get someone more competent than Mark Shields to match up with him? Shields is such an embarrassment to liberals you'd think they'd demand a replacement.) And then we often stay tuned for Washington Week in Review.

Yep, I confess--we're political news junkies. At least we're not jonesin' if we go without for a few days! :wink:

Barry

Post by Barry » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:35 pm

DavidRoss wrote:
Barry wrote:
We're pretty addicted to McNeil Lehrer...oops...the PBS News Hour, not for their daily news survey but for the feature pieces and interviews, usually three fifteen-minute pieces per telecast. If we're in on Friday evening, we get to catch David Brooks's usually thoughtful and often bemused commentary. (Can't PBS get someone more competent than Mark Shields to match up with him? Shields is such an embarrassment to liberals you'd think they'd demand a replacement.) And then we often stay tuned for Washington Week in Review.

Yep, I confess--we're political news junkies. At least we're not jonesin' if we go without for a few days! :wink:
Having seen Shields in the past on other shows, I agree with you. I used to watch political shows regularly. And a couple of the things I always hated were when they would have an extremely weak advocate for my side of he argument and also when they'd have two people, one for each side of the aisle, who were totally predictable in terms of just parroting the party line. You could almost mouth what they were going to say before they did it themselves.

I get most of my news on-line via realclearpolitics.com. They collect stories and columns from every view point and most of the country's major news sources; print and otherwise. In fact, I actually do occasionally catch clips from some of the night-time news shows when they are linked to on RCP.