Is Ladies Night All Right?

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Post Reply
keaggy220
Posts: 4721
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:42 pm
Location: Washington DC Area

Is Ladies Night All Right?

Post by keaggy220 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:14 am

It begs the question, "How about a white persons night?"

U.S. court backs 'Ladies Night' promotions

NEW YORK — A federal court has ruled that “Ladies Night” is all right.

The Manhattan-based Second Court of Appeals rejected a claim by Den Hollander, a self-proclaimed "Men's Rights" lawyer, who insisted that “Ladies Night” promotions such as half-price drinks and cheaper admission were unconstitutional, a result of “40 years of lobbying and intimidation, [by] the special interest group called ‘Feminism.’ "

Hollander insisted that because nightclubs are licensed by the state, the special deals required them to adhere to the equal protection clause of the Constitution. Without court intervention, Hollander claimed “none other than what’s left of the Wall Street moguls” will be able to afford to attend nightclubs.

The court wasn’t impressed by Hollander's lawsuit against a handful of New York clubs. It said nightclubs weren’t “state actors,” and dismissed the action.

According to the New York Daily News, Hollander is planning to appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court.

Asked by a reporter about the odds that the high court will agree to hear his case, he responded that it was "about the same as some pretty young lady paying my way on a date."

On his website, Hollander says he’s fighting for men’s rights “before they have no rights left."

© 2010 msnbc.com Reprints

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38990066/ns/us_news-life/
"I guess we're all, or most of us, the wards of the nineteenth-century sciences which denied existence of anything it could not reason or explain. The things we couldn't explain went right on but not with our blessing... So many old and lovely things are stored in the world's attic, because we don't want them around us and we don't dare throw them out."
— John Steinbeck, The Winter of Our Discontent


"He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
And what does the LORD require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God."
- Micah 6:8

Cosima___J
Posts: 1486
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:38 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Is Ladies Night All Right?

Post by Cosima___J » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:01 pm

After just a cursory glance at the issue, it would seem to me that "ladies night" promotions are discriminatory against men. But come on, I think the judicial system has a few more important issues to deal with than being bogged down by silliness.

In any case, maybe some men actually like the "ladies night" specials because it might bring in more women than would otherwise come.

RebLem
Posts: 9117
Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 1:06 pm
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112, 2 blocks west of the Breaking Bad carwash.
Contact:

Re: Is Ladies Night All Right?

Post by RebLem » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:27 pm

Mr. Hollander is absolutely clueless. "Ladies' Nights" are designed to attract female patrons so that male patrons will be more interested in showing up, too. I thought everyone knew that. DUH!
Don't drink and drive. You might spill it.--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, former Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.

jbuck919
Military Band Specialist
Posts: 26867
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Stony Creek, New York

Re: Is Ladies Night All Right?

Post by jbuck919 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:04 pm

It is hard for me to associate feminism with the concept of making things free or cheaper so more chicks will show up.

Edit: Just noticed that Rob made the same point more directly.

There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.
-- Johann Sebastian Bach

keaggy220
Posts: 4721
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:42 pm
Location: Washington DC Area

Re: Is Ladies Night All Right?

Post by keaggy220 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:10 pm

RebLem wrote:Mr. Hollander is absolutely clueless. "Ladies' Nights" are designed to attract female patrons so that male patrons will be more interested in showing up, too. I thought everyone knew that. DUH!
Well, that's not really the question.
"I guess we're all, or most of us, the wards of the nineteenth-century sciences which denied existence of anything it could not reason or explain. The things we couldn't explain went right on but not with our blessing... So many old and lovely things are stored in the world's attic, because we don't want them around us and we don't dare throw them out."
— John Steinbeck, The Winter of Our Discontent


"He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
And what does the LORD require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God."
- Micah 6:8

jbuck919
Military Band Specialist
Posts: 26867
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Stony Creek, New York

Re: Is Ladies Night All Right?

Post by jbuck919 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:24 pm

keaggy220 wrote:
RebLem wrote:Mr. Hollander is absolutely clueless. "Ladies' Nights" are designed to attract female patrons so that male patrons will be more interested in showing up, too. I thought everyone knew that. DUH!
Well, that's not really the question.
Of course it is. Suing over this and claiming that it is discriminatory against men is a little like murdering one's parents for their fortune and expecting leniency on the grounds of being orphaned.

There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.
-- Johann Sebastian Bach

keaggy220
Posts: 4721
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:42 pm
Location: Washington DC Area

Re: Is Ladies Night All Right?

Post by keaggy220 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:10 pm

jbuck919 wrote:
keaggy220 wrote:
RebLem wrote:Mr. Hollander is absolutely clueless. "Ladies' Nights" are designed to attract female patrons so that male patrons will be more interested in showing up, too. I thought everyone knew that. DUH!
Well, that's not really the question.
Of course it is. Suing over this and claiming that it is discriminatory against men is a little like murdering one's parents for their fortune and expecting leniency on the grounds of being orphaned.
So if polling data indicates whites make more money than other races you think it would be okay to have a special discount on beer or whatever for whites in hopes they will buy lobster instead of burgers?

I'm not saying I disagree with the ruling - only playing devil advocate.
"I guess we're all, or most of us, the wards of the nineteenth-century sciences which denied existence of anything it could not reason or explain. The things we couldn't explain went right on but not with our blessing... So many old and lovely things are stored in the world's attic, because we don't want them around us and we don't dare throw them out."
— John Steinbeck, The Winter of Our Discontent


"He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
And what does the LORD require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God."
- Micah 6:8

Agnes Selby
Author of Constanze Mozart's biography
Posts: 5568
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:27 am
Location: Australia

Re: Is Ladies Night All Right?

Post by Agnes Selby » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:05 pm

jbuck919 wrote:
keaggy220 wrote:
RebLem wrote:Mr. Hollander is absolutely clueless. "Ladies' Nights" are designed to attract female patrons so that male patrons will be more interested in showing up, too. I thought everyone knew that. DUH!
Well, that's not really the question.
Of course it is. Suing over this and claiming that it is discriminatory against men is a little like murdering one's parents for their fortune and expecting leniency on the grounds of being orphaned.
Ha, Ha! very good, John!

keaggy220
Posts: 4721
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:42 pm
Location: Washington DC Area

Re: Is Ladies Night All Right?

Post by keaggy220 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:37 am

jbuck919 wrote:
keaggy220 wrote:
RebLem wrote:Mr. Hollander is absolutely clueless. "Ladies' Nights" are designed to attract female patrons so that male patrons will be more interested in showing up, too. I thought everyone knew that. DUH!
Well, that's not really the question.
Of course it is. Suing over this and claiming that it is discriminatory against men is a little like murdering one's parents for their fortune and expecting leniency on the grounds of being orphaned.
Of course it's not!!! Good grief, you and Rob both are clueless when it comes to capitalism. You didn't go for my bait about the Lobster and the whites - too bad. Think again...
"I guess we're all, or most of us, the wards of the nineteenth-century sciences which denied existence of anything it could not reason or explain. The things we couldn't explain went right on but not with our blessing... So many old and lovely things are stored in the world's attic, because we don't want them around us and we don't dare throw them out."
— John Steinbeck, The Winter of Our Discontent


"He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
And what does the LORD require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God."
- Micah 6:8

Teresa B
Posts: 3057
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 11:04 am
Location: Tampa, Florida

Re: Is Ladies Night All Right?

Post by Teresa B » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:54 am

Funny, but having grown up in the 70's and 80's quite interested in feminist causes, I have no recollection of the prominent feminists of the day being up in arms to force reluctant restaurateurs and bar owners to institute "ladies' nights".

Personally I don't give a hoot whether anybody has ladies' nights or not. I suppose if the fellas think it's discriminatory, they could start looking at a lot of other little perqs too--like senior discounts at movies and restaurants, and how about kids eating free at pancake houses? That discriminates against those of us who don't have kids, or whose kids are now adults!!!

There always seem to be ladies' days at the golf courses. That one seems always to be for the appeasement of the guys who have issues with women who apparently play more slowly on average. So...is that a special perq for the ladies, or is it designed for the convenience of men? Hmm?
:lol:
Teresa
"We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad." ~ The Cheshire Cat

Author of the novel "Creating Will"

keaggy220
Posts: 4721
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:42 pm
Location: Washington DC Area

Re: Is Ladies Night All Right?

Post by keaggy220 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:43 am

Teresa B wrote:Funny, but having grown up in the 70's and 80's quite interested in feminist causes, I have no recollection of the prominent feminists of the day being up in arms to force reluctant restaurateurs and bar owners to institute "ladies' nights".

Personally I don't give a hoot whether anybody has ladies' nights or not. I suppose if the fellas think it's discriminatory, they could start looking at a lot of other little perqs too--like senior discounts at movies and restaurants, and how about kids eating free at pancake houses? That discriminates against those of us who don't have kids, or whose kids are now adults!!!

There always seem to be ladies' days at the golf courses. That one seems always to be for the appeasement of the guys who have issues with women who apparently play more slowly on average. So...is that a special perq for the ladies, or is it designed for the convenience of men? Hmm?
:lol:
Teresa
What does senior discounts at movie theaters have to do with state sponsored discrimination based on gender?
"I guess we're all, or most of us, the wards of the nineteenth-century sciences which denied existence of anything it could not reason or explain. The things we couldn't explain went right on but not with our blessing... So many old and lovely things are stored in the world's attic, because we don't want them around us and we don't dare throw them out."
— John Steinbeck, The Winter of Our Discontent


"He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
And what does the LORD require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God."
- Micah 6:8

living_stradivarius
Posts: 6724
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:41 pm
Location: Minnesnowta
Contact:

Re: Is Ladies Night All Right?

Post by living_stradivarius » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:48 am

Until it becomes socially customary for women to take men out for drinks, dinner, etc., one can argue that "Ladies Night" is protected under the First Amendment as an expression of the status quo :lol:
I don't get why Hollander's lashing out at feminism at the same time :? :? :? If anything, feminists would defy this sort of affirmative action known as Ladies Night, which implies that women don't make the same kind of dough men do and have to rely on others to support themselves.

So no, neither the white person's night nor the murder one's parents = orphaned hypotheticals would stand up as well.
Image

lennygoran
Posts: 15916
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: new york city

Re: Is Ladies Night All Right?

Post by lennygoran » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:58 am

>What does senior discounts at movie theaters have to do with state sponsored discrimination based on gender?<

I've been loosely following this thread and now I'm confused--isn't the law supposed to stop discrimination whereever it rears it's ugly head. For example what if a movie theater allowed discounts to Jewish people but didn't allow those same discounts for Muslims? Regards, Len

living_stradivarius
Posts: 6724
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:41 pm
Location: Minnesnowta
Contact:

Re: Is Ladies Night All Right?

Post by living_stradivarius » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:03 am

lennygoran wrote:>What does senior discounts at movie theaters have to do with state sponsored discrimination based on gender?<

I've been loosely following this thread and now I'm confused--isn't the law supposed to stop discrimination whereever it rears it's ugly head. For example what if a movie theater allowed discounts to Jewish people but didn't allow those same discounts for Muslims? Regards, Len
http://www.legalzoom.com/us-law/equal-r ... se-service

Is it a violation of your civil rights for a business to refuse to serve you because of the way you look, the way you smell, or the way you act? The answer is...it depends.

The Federal Civil Rights Act guarantees all people the right to "full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin."

The right of public accommodation is also guaranteed to disabled citizens under the Americans with Disabilities Act, which precludes discrimination by businesses on the basis of disability.


In addition to the protections against discrimination provided under federal law, many states have passed their own Civil Rights Acts that provide broader protections than the Federal Civil Rights Act. For example, California's Unruh Civil Rights Act makes it illegal to discriminate against individuals based on unconventional dress or sexual preference.

In the 1960s, the Unruh Civil Rights Act was interpreted to provide broad protection from arbitrary discrimination by business owners. Cases decided during that era held that business owners could not discriminate, for example, against hippies, police officers, homosexuals, or Republicans, solely because of who they were.

In cases in which the patron is not a member of a federally protected class, the question generally turns on whether the business's refusal of service was arbitrary, or whether the business had a specific interest in refusing service. For example, in a recent case, a California court decided that a motorcycle club had no discrimination claim against a sports bar that had denied members admission to the bar because they refused to remove their "colors," or patches, which signified club membership. The court held that the refusal of service was not based on the club members' unconventional dress, but was to protect a legitimate business interest in preventing fights between rival club members.

On the other hand, a California court decided that a restaurant owner could not refuse to seat a gay couple in a semi-private booth where the restaurant policy was to only seat two people of opposite sexes in such booths. There was no legitimate business reason for the refusal of service, and so the discrimination was arbitrary and unlawful.

In one more complicated case, a court held that a cemetery could exclude "punk rockers" from a private funeral service. A mother requested that the funeral service for her 17-year-old daughter be private and that admission to the service be limited to family and invited guests only. The cemetery failed to exclude punk rockers from the service. The punk rockers arrived in unconventional dress, wearing makeup and sporting various hair colors. One was wearing a dress decorated with live rats. Others wore leather and chains, some were twirling baton-like weapons, drinking, and using cocaine. The punk rockers made rude comments to family members and were generally disruptive of the service.

Ironically, the funeral business had attempted to rely on the Unruh Civil Rights Act, claiming that if they had denied access to the punk rockers, they would have been in violation of the Act. But the court held that the punk rockers' presence had deprived the deceased person's family of the services of the business establishment, which were meant to provide comfort to grieving family members. On that basis, the court stated that the funeral business could have legitimately denied access to the punk rockers.

It's interesting to note that while it is unlawful to refuse service to certain classes of people, it is not unlawful to provide discounts on the basis of characteristics such as age. Business establishments can lawfully provide discounts to groups such as senior citizens, children, local residents, or members of the clergy in order to attract their business.

Like many issues involving constitutional law, the law against discrimination in public accommodations is in a constant state of change. Some argue that anti-discrimination laws in matters of public accommodations create a conflict between the ideal of equality and individual rights. Does the guaranteed right to public access mean the business owner's private right to exclude is violated? For the most part, courts have decided that the constitutional interest in providing equal access to public accommodations outweighs the individual liberties involved.
Image

keaggy220
Posts: 4721
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:42 pm
Location: Washington DC Area

Re: Is Ladies Night All Right?

Post by keaggy220 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:08 am

living_stradivarius wrote:Until it becomes socially customary for women to take men out for drinks, dinner, etc., one can argue that "Ladies Night" is protected under the First Amendment as an expression of the status quo :lol:
I don't get why Hollander's lashing out at feminism at the same time :? :? :? If anything, feminists would defy this sort of affirmative action known as Ladies Night, which implies that women don't make the same kind of dough men do and have to rely on others to support themselves.

So no, neither the white person's night nor the murder one's parents = orphaned hypotheticals would stand up as well.
The problem I see is the ultimate motivation by the bar owner, which is not to entice women in the bar, but it is of course to make money. However, using gender and or race in a discriminatory manner to make money while holding a state license is a problem.

The guy suing has no chance of winning for two reasons. If he gets a liberal judge then that judge will be sympathetic to the bar owner because the free or discounted beer is "helping" women. And if he gets a conservative judge he will be sympathetic to the tradition of ladies night and the right of the bar owner to make money in creative ways...
"I guess we're all, or most of us, the wards of the nineteenth-century sciences which denied existence of anything it could not reason or explain. The things we couldn't explain went right on but not with our blessing... So many old and lovely things are stored in the world's attic, because we don't want them around us and we don't dare throw them out."
— John Steinbeck, The Winter of Our Discontent


"He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
And what does the LORD require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God."
- Micah 6:8

living_stradivarius
Posts: 6724
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:41 pm
Location: Minnesnowta
Contact:

Re: Is Ladies Night All Right?

Post by living_stradivarius » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:20 am

keaggy220 wrote:If he gets a liberal judge then that judge will be sympathetic to the bar owner because the free or discounted beer is "helping" women.
Not so sure about that. It can be considered patronizing to women. Too bad Hollander's made enemies of feminists, who'd otherwise support his cause.
Image

lennygoran
Posts: 15916
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: new york city

Re: Is Ladies Night All Right?

Post by lennygoran » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:21 am

>The answer is...it depends...For the most part, courts have decided that the constitutional interest in providing equal access to public accommodations outweighs the individual liberties involved.<

Thanks, very informative--I'm inclined to agree with the courts decisions in this area. Regards, Len

keaggy220
Posts: 4721
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:42 pm
Location: Washington DC Area

Re: Is Ladies Night All Right?

Post by keaggy220 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:28 am

lennygoran wrote:>The answer is...it depends...For the most part, courts have decided that the constitutional interest in providing equal access to public accommodations outweighs the individual liberties involved.<

Thanks, very informative--I'm inclined to agree with the courts decisions in this area. Regards, Len
So you're fine with different prices based on race and or gender?
"I guess we're all, or most of us, the wards of the nineteenth-century sciences which denied existence of anything it could not reason or explain. The things we couldn't explain went right on but not with our blessing... So many old and lovely things are stored in the world's attic, because we don't want them around us and we don't dare throw them out."
— John Steinbeck, The Winter of Our Discontent


"He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
And what does the LORD require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God."
- Micah 6:8

lennygoran
Posts: 15916
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: new york city

Re: Is Ladies Night All Right?

Post by lennygoran » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:38 am

>So you're fine with different prices based on race and or gender?<

No, just the opposite--I don't think discrimination should be allowed. My example--I would be opposed to the movie theater giving a break to the Jew but not the Muslim--they should all pay the same--that seems fair. Let's say I was selling my garden :) --I don't think I should be allowed to offer one price to a white person and a higher price to a black person. Regards, Len

keaggy220
Posts: 4721
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:42 pm
Location: Washington DC Area

Re: Is Ladies Night All Right?

Post by keaggy220 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:49 am

lennygoran wrote:>So you're fine with different prices based on race and or gender?<

No, just the opposite--I don't think discrimination should be allowed. My example--I would be opposed to the movie theater giving a break to the Jew but not the Muslim--they should all pay the same--that seems fair. Let's say I was selling my garden :) --I don't think I should be allowed to offer one price to a white person and a higher price to a black person. Regards, Len
So you don't agree with the court decision regarding ladies night, got it...
"I guess we're all, or most of us, the wards of the nineteenth-century sciences which denied existence of anything it could not reason or explain. The things we couldn't explain went right on but not with our blessing... So many old and lovely things are stored in the world's attic, because we don't want them around us and we don't dare throw them out."
— John Steinbeck, The Winter of Our Discontent


"He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
And what does the LORD require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God."
- Micah 6:8

lennygoran
Posts: 15916
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: new york city

Re: Is Ladies Night All Right?

Post by lennygoran » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:57 am

>So you don't agree with the court decision regarding ladies night, got it...<

Well that may be a more complicated decision--discriminating based on one's race is definitely out--the ladies night thing is something I'd want to give more thought too--now I gotta go out and garden.

Talk about gardens let's say I was selling my garden :) One person came out and appreciated how much work we had put in to the garden with 20 different kinds of spirea--he offered us $50,000. Then another person came out and I heard him say to his wife that they were going to run cement over the whole darn garden :) so as not to have to weed ever! That guy offered me $75 grand. Would I legally have a right to sell it to the person who offered me only $50,000 or would I be accused of some sort of discrimination? Regards, Len :)

Teresa B
Posts: 3057
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 11:04 am
Location: Tampa, Florida

Re: Is Ladies Night All Right?

Post by Teresa B » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:06 am

keaggy220 wrote:
Teresa B wrote:Funny, but having grown up in the 70's and 80's quite interested in feminist causes, I have no recollection of the prominent feminists of the day being up in arms to force reluctant restaurateurs and bar owners to institute "ladies' nights".

Personally I don't give a hoot whether anybody has ladies' nights or not. I suppose if the fellas think it's discriminatory, they could start looking at a lot of other little perqs too--like senior discounts at movies and restaurants, and how about kids eating free at pancake houses? That discriminates against those of us who don't have kids, or whose kids are now adults!!!

There always seem to be ladies' days at the golf courses. That one seems always to be for the appeasement of the guys who have issues with women who apparently play more slowly on average. So...is that a special perq for the ladies, or is it designed for the convenience of men? Hmm?
:lol:
Teresa
What does senior discounts at movie theaters have to do with state sponsored discrimination based on gender?
Well, what if someone raised the case of people under 55 being discriminated against at the theaters, and people over 12 being discriminated against at pancake houses? If the state were to say it's "OK" it would be the same thing, only it's obviously not gender, but age discrimination.

There are really two sub-issues here. Can you compare something like charging a black person more for the same service, for example, with giving someone a discount off regular prices on "Ladies' Night" because she happens to be a woman (or cheaper meals for seniors)? In a way it's the same thing, a price differential. But it's presented as a great deal in one case, and it's racism in the other. On general principle, I would say it is actually discriminatory on all counts!

Teresa
"We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad." ~ The Cheshire Cat

Author of the novel "Creating Will"

jack stowaway
Posts: 922
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:17 pm

Re: Is Ladies Night All Right?

Post by jack stowaway » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:18 pm

Who benefits from 'Ladies Night'?

Men, because the promotion attracts more women to the bar - a desired outcome for the great majority of male bar patrons.
The bar owner, because he makes more money as a result of the above.
The women themselves, who customarily enjoy cheaper drinks in return for their patronage --compensation for putting up with over-eager male attention

Who is injured as a result of the above?

keaggy220
Posts: 4721
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:42 pm
Location: Washington DC Area

Re: Is Ladies Night All Right?

Post by keaggy220 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:11 pm

jack stowaway wrote:Who benefits from 'Ladies Night'?

Men, because the promotion attracts more women to the bar - a desired outcome for the great majority of male bar patrons.
The bar owner, because he makes more money as a result of the above.
The women themselves, who customarily enjoy cheaper drinks in return for their patronage --compensation for putting up with over-eager male attention

Who is injured as a result of the above?
With what you've presented above, no one... But we're not talking about the perfect world you've presented above. We are talking about the real world in which a man feels it's unfair he's paying more for items because of his gender.
"I guess we're all, or most of us, the wards of the nineteenth-century sciences which denied existence of anything it could not reason or explain. The things we couldn't explain went right on but not with our blessing... So many old and lovely things are stored in the world's attic, because we don't want them around us and we don't dare throw them out."
— John Steinbeck, The Winter of Our Discontent


"He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
And what does the LORD require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God."
- Micah 6:8

keaggy220
Posts: 4721
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:42 pm
Location: Washington DC Area

Re: Is Ladies Night All Right?

Post by keaggy220 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:15 pm

Teresa B wrote:
keaggy220 wrote:
Teresa B wrote:Funny, but having grown up in the 70's and 80's quite interested in feminist causes, I have no recollection of the prominent feminists of the day being up in arms to force reluctant restaurateurs and bar owners to institute "ladies' nights".

Personally I don't give a hoot whether anybody has ladies' nights or not. I suppose if the fellas think it's discriminatory, they could start looking at a lot of other little perqs too--like senior discounts at movies and restaurants, and how about kids eating free at pancake houses? That discriminates against those of us who don't have kids, or whose kids are now adults!!!

There always seem to be ladies' days at the golf courses. That one seems always to be for the appeasement of the guys who have issues with women who apparently play more slowly on average. So...is that a special perq for the ladies, or is it designed for the convenience of men? Hmm?
:lol:
Teresa
What does senior discounts at movie theaters have to do with state sponsored discrimination based on gender?
Well, what if someone raised the case of people under 55 being discriminated against at the theaters, and people over 12 being discriminated against at pancake houses? If the state were to say it's "OK" it would be the same thing, only it's obviously not gender, but age discrimination.

There are really two sub-issues here. Can you compare something like charging a black person more for the same service, for example, with giving someone a discount off regular prices on "Ladies' Night" because she happens to be a woman (or cheaper meals for seniors)? In a way it's the same thing, a price differential. But it's presented as a great deal in one case, and it's racism in the other. On general principle, I would say it is actually discriminatory on all counts!

Teresa
I agree, in the strictest sense it should all be illegal. This is one of the last vestiges of common sense that slick lawyers have not doomed to extinction. Of course there should be discounts for seniors, kids and yes even a ladies night, but our legal system is not being consistently foolish by allowing these things...
"I guess we're all, or most of us, the wards of the nineteenth-century sciences which denied existence of anything it could not reason or explain. The things we couldn't explain went right on but not with our blessing... So many old and lovely things are stored in the world's attic, because we don't want them around us and we don't dare throw them out."
— John Steinbeck, The Winter of Our Discontent


"He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
And what does the LORD require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God."
- Micah 6:8

JackC
Posts: 2987
Joined: Tue May 20, 2003 10:57 am

Re: Is Ladies Night All Right?

Post by JackC » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:05 pm

Only in today's totally screwed-up, overly legalistic country in which everyone is searching for some way in which they have been wronged or some right of theirs that has been infringed would this warrant discussion or debate, let alone a lawsuit! :roll: :roll:

jbuck919
Military Band Specialist
Posts: 26867
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Stony Creek, New York

Re: Is Ladies Night All Right?

Post by jbuck919 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:00 am

Anybody else just have a flashback to "Playboy Clubs--An Equal Opportunity Employer"?

There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.
-- Johann Sebastian Bach

keaggy220
Posts: 4721
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:42 pm
Location: Washington DC Area

Re: Is Ladies Night All Right?

Post by keaggy220 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:36 pm

jbuck919 wrote:Anybody else just have a flashback to "Playboy Clubs--An Equal Opportunity Employer"?
Hooters anyone?
"I guess we're all, or most of us, the wards of the nineteenth-century sciences which denied existence of anything it could not reason or explain. The things we couldn't explain went right on but not with our blessing... So many old and lovely things are stored in the world's attic, because we don't want them around us and we don't dare throw them out."
— John Steinbeck, The Winter of Our Discontent


"He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
And what does the LORD require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God."
- Micah 6:8

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 32 guests