Firefox version 6 (ho hum)

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

John F

Firefox version 6 (ho hum)

Post by John F » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:52 pm

Version 6 is scheduled for release tomorrow, though it can be downloaded today. No need to rush, as there's very little that's new in the desktop version. I understand that the version for Android, the mobile phone operating system, is very much changed, and also runs faster and takes less memory, but unless you have a Motorola, Samsung, or a few other makes of smartphone, or a Dell tablet computer (some other brands too), this won't affect you.

As for the desktop versions, PC Magazine Online says this:

A lot of the changes coming in Firefox 6 are under-the-hood fixes designed to increase the speed and compatibility of the browser. For example, Firefox 6 will now speed up its startup time for those with a ton of tabs and groups: Users will be able to decide whether they want to load up all of their tab groups at the browser's launch, or load these tabs up within the browser's Panorama grouping tool.

A new permissions tool (accessed by typing "about:permissions" in the browser's address bar) will give users a chance to set site-specific permission levels for saved passwords, cookies, location-sharing, pop-ups, and images, to name a few options. Tweaks to Firefox's add-on manager includes the addition of a brand-new plugins check, which will let uses automatically verify whether they're running the latest versions of all of their extensions with but one click of the mouse.

The final "big change" that non-developer Firefox users will notice is Mozilla's new treatment of domain names within the browser's address bar. Domain names are now tinted with a small highlight, just to make it easier for users to tell what site they're on after a quick glance at the address bar.

Other improvements to Firefox 6 include a performance boost for Linux users, as well as increased support for developers in the form of a Scratchpad tool for testing JavaScript within the browser and an improved version of the browser's Web Console.
John Francis

HoustonDavid

Re: Firefox version 6 (ho hum)

Post by HoustonDavid » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:32 pm

John, I was queried (by Mozilla) a few days ago about my start-up priorities and allowed
to selectively delay many programs that slow start-up needlessly because I don't need
everything immediately. It worked!! Start-up is noticeably faster!!! :D Haven't downloaded
Firefox 6 yet, but already have at least one of the benefits. Just love the other Firefox
benefits, especially Spell Check and Ad Block. You were the guy that got me hooked, so
multiple thanks!!!
"May You be born in interesting (maybe confusing?) times" - Chinese Proverb (or Curse)

John F

Post by John F » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:23 pm

Now that does sound worthwhile. Were you able to specify which extensions etc. run at startup and which are called as needed? I could use a little more zing at startup since I have a dozen extensions installed.
John Francis

HoustonDavid

Post by HoustonDavid » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:46 am

Start-up icons yes, extensions no. Don't know why I got their inquiry before Firefox 6
and you didn't. Check into it, you may be able to specify extensions on a sub-routine.
Just delaying specific desktop icons I don't use every day speeded my start-up and
would probably speed up yours.

I have an old, probably bad habit of having most of my "use sometimes" and "use daily"
program icons on my desktop, which undoubtedly has slowed down my start-up for years.
It didn't used to be much of problem, but things have certainly grown more complicated
as the years go by and systems "improve".
"May You be born in interesting (maybe confusing?) times" - Chinese Proverb (or Curse)

John F

Post by John F » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:44 am

HoustonDavid wrote:Start-up icons yes, extensions no. Don't know why I got their inquiry before Firefox 6 and you didn't. Check into it, you may be able to specify extensions on a sub-routine.
Just delaying specific desktop icons I don't use every day speeded my start-up and would probably speed up yours.
Are we talking about Firefox here or Windows? I've plenty of icons on the Windows desktop, but my startup page in Firefox has no graphics at all, it's a text file of a dozen often-used links that I made up and use as the Firefox home page.

Today's the day, so I'll get me version 6 and see what's what.

OK, it's done. Startup does seem a bit more snappy, icons or no.
John Francis

HoustonDavid

Post by HoustonDavid » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:17 pm

I hadn't given it much thought - obviously - but my desktop icons must indeed be
Windows because nothing changed when I switched to Firefox. Back when I was an
IT type (many IT decades past) and developed early software for microcomputers
(as they were called back in 1983) it was important. I didn't even have a personal
computer (as they were later known) because there was always one at work - the
Internet was only a dream in Al Gore's imagination (HA!).

Now I "trust" Windows and Mozilla without a lot of pre- or fore-thought, which is
probably dangerous, but I've only had one virus (a Trojan Horse, actually) in my life
and that was many years ago, so I'm probably a good target; but I do know what to
look for, and they wouldn't have much to take, and my bank would warn me in time
(I hope). And, at age 73, they'd probably have to catch me pretty quickly.

I plan to be around for a goodly while, but being paranoid is not my idea of a good
way to live a life. I still possess the gift of the sense of wonder (as you seem to, in
spades, as they used to say), which makes life worth the doing.

John F

Post by John F » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:42 am

It's still amazing to me what computers can do, and to have one of my own is even more amazing. Anyone who doesn't wonder at the world we live in, for better or worse, just isn't paying attention. :)
John Francis

HoustonDavid

Post by HoustonDavid » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:53 am

AMEN and OOH RAH!! :D