99% vs. 99%

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

keaggy220

99% vs. 99%

Post by keaggy220 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:52 pm

Small Business Owners Fight Back Against Occupy Wall Street

Small business owners and local residents fed up with the “Occupiers” at Zuccotti Park in New York City are planning a counterprotest and news conference of their own Monday, to make clear the crowd has long overstayed its welcome — and that businesses will not survive if the “occupation” continues.

Flyers are being passed around at small businesses and residential buildings around the park in downtown Manhattan promoting a “Protest against the Occupy Wall St. and Mayor Bloomberg who does nothing to get them to leave.”

The news conference is scheduled for Monday at 5 p.m. on the steps of City Hall.

In recent days, shopkeepers, restaurant owners and others with small businesses located near Zuccotti Park have been quietly meeting to share stories of the damage they say has been caused by Occupy Wall Street: theft of property, vandalism, threats, violence and even incidents involving the throwing of fecal matter.

The flyers were printed out by a 46-year-old unemployed teacher named Leslie who has spearheaded the counterprotest efforts. She asked her last name not be used out of concern the protesters would retaliate against her, and that her involvement in the counterprotest might negatively affect her job search.

“It’s time for them to go,” Leslie said of the Occupiers.

John Corstales said he planned to take the employees of his restaurant — Essex World Cafe, located a block away from Zuccotti Park — to the news conference.

“I’ll bring all my people. These protesters—they’re not even protesters, they don’t know anything—they are horrible. They break things, they steal, I have to close my bathrooms and bring customers downstairs [to employee restrooms],” he said.

“You should see what they have done to my gate, what they do every night when we are closed,” he said, referring to vandalism and damage to the exterior of his restaurant.

One of his employees said the urination and fecal matter in the neighborhood are among the worst of the problems. A construction worker who works nearby said he saw someone defecating into a newspaper, which was then rolled up and thrown across the street.

“What they do is horrible, it is just horrible,” Corstales said.

He said he was particularly upset about an incident involving New York Police Inspector Anthony Bologna, who was reprimanded by the department following circulation of a video of him pepper-spraying protesters on Sept. 24.

“He is the best captain in this neighborhood for five years. No better human being than him,” he said.

Leslie makes no effort to conceal her disgust.

“They say they are the 99 percent. Let me tell you, I’m unemployed and I lost my unemployment benefits after 99 weeks. I had to move in with my mother—I’m a true 99 percenter,” she said.

A police officer who was posted at the perimeter of the park for seven days said he would be attending the Monday event out of uniform, “as a protester and fed-up New Yorker.”

“After speaking with many of them, I realize they are unemployable takers,” he said, asking that his name not be used. “They just want to be able to tell their friends, ‘Hey, I was there.’ There is no leader, no voice. They have money in the bank but can’t agree on using it and no one knows who controls it.

“I’m sick of it. Fed up like everyone else.”

An email request for comment from Occupy Wall Street’s media contact was not immediately returned.

Other business owners asked that their names not be printed out of fear of further harassment and vandalism. They said Zuccotti has become home to an increasingly violent and unsanitary crowd, including some looking to commit crimes.

They also complained about the incessant drumming that has become synonymous with the movement.

One restaurant owner complained protesters repeatedly sneaked in to use the bathroom. Others said protesters crowded into their establishment during last month’s snowstorm and refused to leave.

Some local eateries have said they have had to lay off employees because business has tanked since the protesters arrived.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/11/11/sm ... ll-street/
"I guess we're all, or most of us, the wards of the nineteenth-century sciences which denied existence of anything it could not reason or explain. The things we couldn't explain went right on but not with our blessing... So many old and lovely things are stored in the world's attic, because we don't want them around us and we don't dare throw them out."
— John Steinbeck, The Winter of Our Discontent

"He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
And what does the LORD require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God."
- Micah 6:8

Dennis Spath

Re: 99% vs. 99%

Post by Dennis Spath » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:46 pm

No doubt the situation at the Park in NYC presents problems Keaggy, particularly for those who are "squatting" there and nearby businesses. It is a fact, though, that there are millions across the country who are in sympathy with the 99% movement and mounting local demonstrations on a regular basis.

I heard on the news that 600,000 new accounts have been opened at local Credit Unions since the protests against the "Too big to fail" Banks began, and Bank of America had dropped the $5.00 monthly Fee for their Debit Card Customers. Locally here in Tyler, Texas there has been a group gathering every Saturday for a few hours with various signs in support of the 99% initiatives. What they lack in numbers they make up with enthusiasm and get a lot of supportive "Honks" from passing cars.

I, too, have been following FOX's coverage of the Occupy Movement.....notable the past few days for it's exaggerated implications of criminality and mahem, sorely in need of more vigorous crackdwn by local Governments and Police.
It's good to be back among friends from the past.

dulcinea

Post by dulcinea » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:40 pm

Dennis Spath wrote:No doubt the situation at the Park in NYC presents problems Keaggy, particularly for those who are "squatting" there and nearby businesses. It is a fact, though, that there are millions across the country who are in sympathy with the 99% movement and mounting local demonstrations on a regular basis.

I heard on the news that 600,000 new accounts have been opened at local Credit Unions since the protests against the "Too big to fail" Banks began, and Bank of America had dropped the $5.00 monthly Fee for their Debit Card Customers. Locally here in Tyler, Texas there has been a group gathering every Saturday for a few hours with various signs in support of the 99% initiatives. What they lack in numbers they make up with enthusiasm and get a lot of supportive "Honks" from passing cars.

I, too, have been following FOX's coverage of the Occupy Movement.....notable the past few days for it's exaggerated implications of criminality and mahem, sorely in need of more vigorous crackdwn by local Governments and Police.
I am unemployed and owe a lot of college loan money, but I'm not taking part in any demonstrations because I'm not a jerk eager to annoy people who have nothing to do with my joblessness or my school debts.
Let every thing that has breath praise the Lord! Alleluya!

keaggy220

Post by keaggy220 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:56 pm

Dennis Spath wrote:No doubt the situation at the Park in NYC presents problems Keaggy, particularly for those who are "squatting" there and nearby businesses. It is a fact, though, that there are millions across the country who are in sympathy with the 99% movement and mounting local demonstrations on a regular basis.

The 600,000 new credit unions accounts likely would've happened even without the stoners and rapists squatting in parks beating on drums and speaking incoherently. Heck, i dumped banks for my credit union back in the mid-ninties because I thought banks were a ripoff.

I'm sure BoA will now either insert fees elsewhere or layoff enough workers to recover the fees. That's how businesses roll.

I read news coverage from a variety of sources and I've noticed that the MSM are finally catching up to how Fox has been covering the Occupy Movement for weeks.
"I guess we're all, or most of us, the wards of the nineteenth-century sciences which denied existence of anything it could not reason or explain. The things we couldn't explain went right on but not with our blessing... So many old and lovely things are stored in the world's attic, because we don't want them around us and we don't dare throw them out."
— John Steinbeck, The Winter of Our Discontent

"He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
And what does the LORD require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God."
- Micah 6:8