Maybe Blacks Should Give the Trayvon Martin Story....

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Cosima___J
Posts: 1486
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:38 pm
Location: Georgia

Maybe Blacks Should Give the Trayvon Martin Story....

Post by Cosima___J » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:05 pm

.... a rest and start worrying more about (and doing more about) Black-on-Black crime. The vast majority of blacks who are murdered are killed by fellow blacks, not by whites. If blacks really want to save young black lives, they need to get serious about their own people murdering each other!

Good editorial which addresses that point:

Getting out of the rut
Hustlers aggravate tension while ignoring black America's real problem
By Augusta Chronicle Editorial Staff
Tuesday, April 3, 2012

While others were calling for calm in the Trayvon Martin case, race hustler Al Sharpton and others like him were needlessly inciting racial tension and fanning the flames of hatred.

How beautifully ironic that, at a rally last weekend calling for the arrest of shooter George Zimmerman, Jesse Jackson called for “an end to vigilantism.”

Where’s a mirror when you need one? What is it, except vigilantism, to call for the arrest of someone without knowing the evidence against him?

Zimmerman may indeed be prosecutable. It may be that he was a loose cannon, playing cop instead of the neighborhood watchman that he was.

But it’s pure folly, and frankly un-American, to demand an arrest without knowledge of the evidence.

Further, Sharpton promises civil disobedience unless his demand is met. He’s whipping followers up to believe this is a good thing – to demand “justice” without the evidence required for it.

Again, the evidence may ultimately be there – but Sharpton is hardly privy to it.

The good news is that the nearly unprecedented pressure being applied on investigators in the case should yield a thorough review of the available evidence (although, truth be known, we may never know what happened between these two men for sure).

But Sharpton and others are attempting to put America on trial based upon realities of half a century ago. Do we still have racial bias? Of course. But is it sanctioned by any institution or individual with any amount of credibility today as it was decades ago? Of course not.

“Black America needs to get out of the rut of replaying racial injustices of the past,” writes liberal commentator Juan Williams, in a recent Wall Street Journal column. “While civil rights leaders have raised their voices to speak out against this one tragedy, few if any will do the same about the larger tragedy of daily carnage that is black-on-black crime in America.”

Indeed, Williams cites a U.S. Department of Justice study indicating that blacks account for nearly half of the murder victims in America, but that 93 percent of the perpetrators in those cases are other blacks.

“The killing of any child is a tragedy,” Williams writes. “But where are the protests regarding the larger problems facing black America?”

Sadly, there’s more attention to be had by jumping on the float at the race parade.

jbuck919
Military Band Specialist
Posts: 26867
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Stony Creek, New York

Re: Maybe Blacks Should Give the Trayvon Martin Story....

Post by jbuck919 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:50 pm

Cosi wrote:If blacks really want to save young black lives, they need to get serious about their own people murdering each other!
And what makes you think they are not?

I think I know where the editorial writer of that paper is coming from: He thinks he can make trouble for the black community because his white readers are not inclined to notice that he has made a couple of huge and derogatory insinuations about that community (that they have not dealt with the possible racial aspect of this situation in a measured and reasonable fashion given the possible implications; that they do not give appropriate attention to murders of black people by black people) without making any attempt to back them up with either reasoned argument or references. And here you are to prove that he was right.

(Again, Juan Williams should not be cited offhandedly as a liberal commentator, especially when he is writing for the Wall Street Journal.)

There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.
-- Johann Sebastian Bach

Cosima___J
Posts: 1486
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:38 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Maybe Blacks Should Give the Trayvon Martin Story....

Post by Cosima___J » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:17 pm

What makes me think they are not is the fact that we've seen lots of protest marches by blacks concerning Trayvon Martin. Where are the similar marches, speeches, protests, articles etc by blacks denouncing the killing of blacks by blacks. No, it's much more fun to protest against Whitey. There are no consequences to doing that. But if blacks (with some exceptions) speak out against their own, there's hell to pay. The Rev. Sharpton would certainly get on their case. :evil:
Last edited by Cosima___J on Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

living_stradivarius
Posts: 6724
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:41 pm
Location: Minnesnowta
Contact:

Re: Maybe Blacks Should Give the Trayvon Martin Story....

Post by living_stradivarius » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:24 pm

Cosima___J wrote:What makes me think they are not is the fact that we've seen lots of protest marches by blacks concerning Trayvon Martin. Where are the similar marches, speeches, protests, articles etc by blacks denouncing the killing of blacks by blacks. No, it's much more fun to protest against Whitey. There are no consequences to doing that. But if blacks (with some exceptions) speak out against their own, there's hell to pay.
Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter is among those who isn't giving the Trayvon Martin case a rest AND at the same time calling out black youths on irresponsibility and violence.

http://blogs.phillymag.com/the_philly_p ... on-martin/
Image

jbuck919
Military Band Specialist
Posts: 26867
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Stony Creek, New York

Re: Maybe Blacks Should Give the Trayvon Martin Story....

Post by jbuck919 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:31 pm

Cosima___J wrote:Where are the similar marches, speeches, protests, articles etc by blacks denouncing the killing of blacks by blacks.
Oh Cosi, I don't want to characterize a comment from you as racist, but do you and your neighbors take to the streets to denounce the killing of white people by white people? I realize that the dynamic in parts of the black community, especially in some inner cities, is not the same as that of white suburbia, but in neither case is street protest the effective response to the problem of homicide. It might, however, be the right response if you thought (with whatever justification) that someone was being shielded from consequences for a killing because of assumptions about the scene of the crime that were based at least in part on racial bias.

There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.
-- Johann Sebastian Bach

John F
Posts: 21076
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:41 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Maybe Blacks Should Give the Trayvon Martin Story....

Post by John F » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:34 pm

Why shouldn't people, and not just African-Americans, be protesting what happened to Trayvon Martin a few weeks ago, and how the case has been handled or mishandled by the police? And do you really want the streets filled with protesters against black-vs.-black crime and other social problems every day of the week? No, I don't believe you really want more protests, you're just against this protest. Why?
John Francis

Cosima___J
Posts: 1486
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:38 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Maybe Blacks Should Give the Trayvon Martin Story....

Post by Cosima___J » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:40 pm

Well I can tell you that I'm definitely not racist. We live in what I would characterize as an upper middle class neighborhood. Just on our short street, we have five black families. We all get along just fine. Our neighborhood meetings have committees with blacks and whites working together, laughing together and enjoying each others company.

Come down to Georgia and you will see that right here in the Deep South there are lots of interracial couples. We work and play together. I'm hoping that someday soon, will all be light brown like Obama. That's a beautiful color!

Cosima___J
Posts: 1486
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:38 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Maybe Blacks Should Give the Trayvon Martin Story....

Post by Cosima___J » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:45 pm

To John F., I've already stated my feelings in my first post. But I'll have another go at it: I'm not in any way trying to defend Zimmerman. But I think it would be a mistake for blacks to get too wrapped up in that case when there are much more urgent things to address --- namely back on black crime. Why is Martin's life and death so much more important than the daily killings of other blacks???? Can you answer me that?

RebLem
Posts: 9117
Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 1:06 pm
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112, 2 blocks west of the Breaking Bad carwash.
Contact:

Re: Maybe Blacks Should Give the Trayvon Martin Story....

Post by RebLem » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:09 pm

Cosi, if I were a judge and you came into my court, I would sentence you to watching the last 10 minutes of The Godfather on a continuous reel for 8 hours a day for a week. That might cure you.
Don't drink and drive. You might spill it.--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, former Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.

Agnes Selby
Author of Constanze Mozart's biography
Posts: 5568
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:27 am
Location: Australia

Re: Maybe Blacks Should Give the Trayvon Martin Story....

Post by Agnes Selby » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:53 pm

Looking at this from faraway Australia, I see it as a crime
against a boy with iced tea and lollies in his hands.
I would like to ask you, Cosi, would Zimmerman have killed
a white boy thus employed?

Another question for you? Would a black, man having shot a
white boy carrying lollies and iced tea, been let out without being
charged with murder?

John F
Posts: 21076
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:41 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Maybe Blacks Should Give the Trayvon Martin Story....

Post by John F » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:04 pm

Cosima___J wrote:To John F., I've already stated my feelings in my first post. But I'll have another go at it: I'm not in any way trying to defend Zimmerman. But I think it would be a mistake for blacks to get too wrapped up in that case when there are much more urgent things to address --- namely back on black crime. Why is Martin's life and death so much more important than the daily killings of other blacks???? Can you answer me that?
Leave it to African-American people to decide what affects and outrages them the most at a particular moment. Some white people are so wrapped up in the "Obamacare" thing that they've repeatedly demonstrated against it, most recently at the Supreme Court. Others are so wrapped up in the abortion issue that they demonstrate in front of abortion clinics and some of them even kill doctors who work there. Don't white people have more urgent things to address? We might think so, but evidently these white people don't. It's not for you or me to tell black people or white people that they're mistaken - who do we think we are?

But I'll answer your question, wrong-headed though I think it is. Trayvon Martin's death is particularly important because of the circumstances in which it occurred and what followed. Not just that he was unarmed, but that the person who tracked and shot him was not an officer of the law but a private vigilante, that it appears the police have been remarkably casual about investigating the affair, and that it occurred under a law ("Stand Your Ground") which seems to allow anybody to kill anybody else when they feel threatened. These factors are important enough to have brought the Justice Department and the FBI into the case. That about sums it up.
John Francis

Cosima___J
Posts: 1486
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:38 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Maybe Blacks Should Give the Trayvon Martin Story....

Post by Cosima___J » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:22 pm

Agnes, I can't answer either one of your questions. But I suspect that in your mind you've already decided what the answers would be.

Mark Harwood
Posts: 810
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:24 am
Location: Isle of Arran, Scotland.

Re: Maybe Blacks Should Give the Trayvon Martin Story....

Post by Mark Harwood » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:28 pm

Some questions are not supposed to be asked, and they are likely to be attacked rather than answered.
See Steven Lukes' "The Three Faces of Power" for the reasons why.
Our educated, liberal, free-thinking academic establishment sees itself as the repository of those things that preserve the best in our culture. The concept of its being reactionary, deeply conservative and opposed to free expression is beyond its comprehension. Therefore, Cosima, I'm sorry to say that you're on a loser here. You'll be branded as racist if you persevere with this line of reasoning, whatever its merits.
My brief flirtations with academia convinced me that a coterie of very mediocre minds had identified for itself a moral high ground which could only be defended by stomping on heterodoxy. Thus, for example, any suggestion that genetic factors had any influence over intelligence, character or destiny would be associated with Nazism. Subsequent scientific research has supported those ideas above the academic orthodoxy of the 1960s & 1970s, which held, against plenty of evidence that was extant even then, that nurture held sway over nature.
So, Cosima, although your point here must be subject to vigorous scrutiny and debate, it is more likely to be reacted against than constructively responded to.
Being entirely in support of your OP, but hoping to be wrong in that regard, I invite your critics to raise their game.
"I did it for the music."
Ken Colyer

John F
Posts: 21076
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:41 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Maybe Blacks Should Give the Trayvon Martin Story....

Post by John F » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:23 pm

Mark Harwood wrote:Our educated, liberal, free-thinking academic establishment sees itself as the repository of those things that preserve the best in our culture. The concept of its being reactionary, deeply conservative and opposed to free expression is beyond its comprehension. Therefore, Cosima, I'm sorry to say that you're on a loser here. You'll be branded as racist if you persevere with this line of reasoning, whatever its merits.
That's a convenient line to take if you want to dismiss a point of view without actually dealing with it, the very charge you raise against others. Getting down to cases, what merits does this "line of reasoning" have that you believe haven't been addressed here? Since you've said you're in support of Cosima's "OP," whatever that stands for.
Mark Harwood wrote:My brief flirtations with academia...
What makes you think this is relevant to CMG?
Last edited by John F on Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Francis

Cosima___J
Posts: 1486
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:38 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Maybe Blacks Should Give the Trayvon Martin Story....

Post by Cosima___J » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:22 pm

OP stands for Original Post.

Although I'm a college graduate, I'll have to agree with Mark's take on certain people in the "educated, liberal, free-thinking academic establishment" who think they have all the answers and know what's best for everybody else.

And speaking of one of those members of the "educated, liberal, free-thinking academic establishment" whose initials are BHO, he certainly made a strange comment the other day. BHO, who supposedly was a professor of constitutional law for goodness sake, seemed to believe it was totally unacceptable for the Supreme Court justices to rule on the constitutionality (and therefore lawfullness) of a law passed by Congress. Gee, I thought that was the main function of the Supreme Court. Something about our system of checks and balances.

John F
Posts: 21076
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:41 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Maybe Blacks Should Give the Trayvon Martin Story....

Post by John F » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:59 am

Cosima___J wrote:OP stands for Original Post.
Thanks.
Cosima___J wrote:BHO, who supposedly was a professor of constitutional law for goodness sake, seemed to believe it was totally unacceptable for the Supreme Court justices to rule on the constitutionality (and therefore lawfullness) of a law passed by Congress.
Changing the subject, are you? Does this mean you've nothing more to say on the topic of this thread?

But since you raise this other, unrelated issue: Barack Obama was not a professor of constitutional law, he was a lecturer constitutional law for 12 years at one of America's great universities, after earning his law degree with top honors at an even greater one. :) There's no question about his qualifications to justify your "supposedly." And he did not say what you claim he said. Here are his words: "I'm confident that the Supreme Court will not take what would be an unprecedented, extraordinary step of overturning a law that was passed by a strong majority of a democratically elected Congress." This is mistaken, he got it wrong, and he corrected it the next day. But why couldn't you have got it right? Are you taking your favorite columnists' word on an issue of fact without checking the fact itself? Again?

USA Today has published a fact check that sorts this out. It concludes, "The president would have been within his rights to say that the Supreme Court hasn't overturned a law like the health care legislation since the days when judges refused to allow limiting the workweek to 60 hours. That's a matter of opinion with which anyone may agree or disagree. But he misstated the facts (and stirred up avoidable trouble for himself) when he said it would be "unprecedented" to overturn a law passed by Congress."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington ... 54004040/1
John Francis

lennygoran
Posts: 15910
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: new york city

Re: Maybe Blacks Should Give the Trayvon Martin Story....

Post by lennygoran » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:34 am

Cosima___J wrote: Where are the similar marches, speeches, protests, articles etc by blacks denouncing the killing of blacks by blacks. No, it's much more fun to protest against Whitey. There are no consequences to doing that. But if blacks (with some exceptions) speak out against their own, there's hell to pay. The Rev. Sharpton would certainly get on their case. :evil:
I've seen PBS shows where Chicago is trying programs to stop the violence and murders on it's southside--many youths are involved in all this--of course it's a very big problem but blacks are working with blacks and other segments of the community. More of this would really help. I certainly am not a fan of Sharpton and am still waiting for his apology on the Tawana Brawley matter. Regards, Len

lennygoran
Posts: 15910
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: new york city

Re: Maybe Blacks Should Give the Trayvon Martin Story....

Post by lennygoran » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:47 am

John F wrote: Not just that he was unarmed, but that the person who tracked and shot him was not an officer of the law but a private vigilante,
Is Zimmerman a private vigilante or part of a neighborhood watch program--aren't they different? Are people in these neighborhood watch programs to be considered vigilantes? Also could someone please find out if Zimmerman's nose was actually broken! Regards, Len

John F
Posts: 21076
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:41 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Maybe Blacks Should Give the Trayvon Martin Story....

Post by John F » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:15 am

Despite his name, Zimmerman is a Latino. In Spanish, "vigilante" means guard, watchman, etc., someone who is vigilant. But Zimmerman seems to have been acting as a vigilante in the American English sense as well.
John Francis

lennygoran
Posts: 15910
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: new york city

Re: Maybe Blacks Should Give the Trayvon Martin Story....

Post by lennygoran » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:51 am

John F wrote:Despite his name, Zimmerman is a Latino. In Spanish, "vigilante" means guard, watchman, etc., someone who is vigilant. But Zimmerman seems to have been acting as a vigilante in the American English sense as well.
If I were to go to Pa where I'm told its easier to get firearms and buy an unauthorized rifle and start going around my area with it looking for people I think are bad that would be vigilantiism imo--that seems different than neighborhood watches--they work with the police--or do I have that wrong?

Regards, Len

jbuck919
Military Band Specialist
Posts: 26867
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Stony Creek, New York

Re: Maybe Blacks Should Give the Trayvon Martin Story....

Post by jbuck919 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:57 am

lennygoran wrote:
John F wrote:Despite his name, Zimmerman is a Latino. In Spanish, "vigilante" means guard, watchman, etc., someone who is vigilant. But Zimmerman seems to have been acting as a vigilante in the American English sense as well.
If I were to go to Pa where I'm told its easier to get firearms and buy an unauthorized rifle and start going around my area with it looking for people I think are bad that would be vigilantiism imo--that seems different than neighborhood watches--they work with the police--or do I have that wrong?
Well, he didn't obey the police "suggestion" not to pursue the boy. And the rule with many if not most organized neighborhood watch programs is that the volunteers are unarmed. So you have an armed civilian almost looking for trouble and taking matters best left to the police in his own hands. If that isn't vigilantism, then what is?

There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.
-- Johann Sebastian Bach

RebLem
Posts: 9117
Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 1:06 pm
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112, 2 blocks west of the Breaking Bad carwash.
Contact:

Re: Maybe Blacks Should Give the Trayvon Martin Story....

Post by RebLem » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:15 am

Cosima___J wrote:.... a rest and start worrying more about (and doing more about) Black-on-Black crime. The vast majority of blacks who are murdered are killed by fellow blacks, not by whites. If blacks really want to save young black lives, they need to get serious about their own people murdering each other!
No, its past time, 44 years after the assassination of Dr. King, to give racism a rest. But I see no sign of that happening in the near, or far, future Augusta.
Cosima___J wrote:Getting out of the rut
Hustlers aggravate tension while ignoring black America's real problem
By Augusta Chronicle Editorial Staff
Tuesday, April 3, 2012

While others were calling for calm in the Trayvon Martin case, race hustler Al Sharpton and others like him were needlessly inciting racial tension and fanning the flames of hatred.

How beautifully ironic that, at a rally last weekend calling for the arrest of shooter George Zimmerman, Jesse Jackson called for “an end to vigilantism.”

Where’s a mirror when you need one? What is it, except vigilantism, to call for the arrest of someone without knowing the evidence against him?
No one is calling for a mob to go and arrest Zimmerman except the New Black Panther Party, which is nothing more than 3 guys who decided to form a Sixties Ghetto Black Panther Re-Enactors Group, but one based on an inaccurate, right wing stereotype of what the original Black Panthers were about. Virtually everyone involved in these demonstrations has been at pains to disassociate himself from vigilantism. The Augusta Chronicle is trying to get them to change that so they will be discredited. It is the one fomenting violence, by unjustly and inaccurately accusing the demonstrators of a desire for it. There's an old saying in the black community: "If you're going to have the name, you may as well play the game." In other words, if you are going to be treated as violent no matter what you do, you might as well be violent. The Augusta Chronicle is mindful of that, and trying to provoke the demonstrators to violence. Nobody is buying it.

We do know the evidence against Zimmerman. He was told by the police dispatcher to stop pursuing Trayvon, and he said, "OK," and then promptly violated that directive. We know he shot Trayvon. We know that Trayvon was pleading for help seconds before he was shot, from voice analysis of a tape on a 911 call made by a neighbor who was calling to report the incident in progress. The pleading came to an abrupt end after the shot. The moment of Trayvon's death is on a 911 tape. What more do you need?
Cosima___J wrote:Zimmerman may indeed be prosecutable. It may be that he was a loose cannon, playing cop instead of the neighborhood watchman that he was.

But it’s pure folly, and frankly un-American, to demand an arrest without knowledge of the evidence.
We have all the evidence we need. If the situation had been reversed and the shooter had been black and the victim white, that would be clear to everyone on the Augusta Chronicle Editorial Staff, and to you.
Cosima___J wrote:Further, Sharpton promises civil disobedience unless his demand is met. He’s whipping followers up to believe this is a good thing – to demand “justice” without the evidence required for it.

Again, the evidence may ultimately be there – but Sharpton is hardly privy to it.
The evidence is already there, in abundance.
Cosima___J wrote:The good news is that the nearly unprecedented pressure being applied on investigators in the case should yield a thorough review of the available evidence (although, truth be known, we may never know what happened between these two men for sure).
The good news? Ah, now the Augusta Chronicle Editorial Staff is finally getting to what really disturbs it. It is admitting that without the unprecdedented pressure being applied on investigators, no thorough review of the available evidence would have been made. The Augusta Chronicle Editorial Staff does not really regard this as good news, obviously. The previous paragraphs demonstrate this. But this unprecedented pressure was necessary, the Augusta Chronicle Editorial Staff is admitting, in order to get a thorough investigation.
Cosima___J wrote:But Sharpton and others are attempting to put America on trial based upon realities of half a century ago. Do we still have racial bias? Of course. But is it sanctioned by any institution or individual with any amount of credibility today as it was decades ago? Of course not.
It is not sanctioned by any institution with any amount of credibility, it is true, but it is sanctioned by the Augusta Chronicle Editorial Staff as it was decades ago and as it has always been.
Cosima___J wrote:“Black America needs to get out of the rut of replaying racial injustices of the past,” writes liberal commentator Juan Williams, in a recent Wall Street Journal column. “While civil rights leaders have raised their voices to speak out against this one tragedy, few if any will do the same about the larger tragedy of daily carnage that is black-on-black crime in America.”

Indeed, Williams cites a U.S. Department of Justice study indicating that blacks account for nearly half of the murder victims in America, but that 93 percent of the perpetrators in those cases are other blacks.

“The killing of any child is a tragedy,” Williams writes. “But where are the protests regarding the larger problems facing black America?”

Sadly, there’s more attention to be had by jumping on the float at the race parade.
In what way is Juan Willaims a liberal? He is black and dares to show that he knows how to write standard English, which used to be a really uppity thing to do, and is registered to vote, which is even more uppity. I guess that makes him a liberal to the Editorial Staff of the Augusta Chronicle and to you.

But, of course, what disturbs most of all is the eternal, insufferable arrogance of whites who always think they know far more than blacks what black people need to do.
Don't drink and drive. You might spill it.--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, former Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.

Mark Harwood
Posts: 810
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:24 am
Location: Isle of Arran, Scotland.

Re: Maybe Blacks Should Give the Trayvon Martin Story....

Post by Mark Harwood » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:11 pm

"But, of course, what disturbs most of all is the eternal, insufferable arrogance of whites who always think they know far more than blacks what black people need to do."

Low blow. Applies elsewhere maybe, but not here, I think.
"I did it for the music."
Ken Colyer

living_stradivarius
Posts: 6724
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:41 pm
Location: Minnesnowta
Contact:

Re: Maybe Blacks Should Give the Trayvon Martin Story....

Post by living_stradivarius » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:37 pm

Truth is this incident would have been brushed under the carpet without further investigation were it not for public pressure. Consider the position Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter has taken on Trayvon's death (http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2012/0 ... rtin-case/) while confronting black violence and hoodies even (http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... lash-mobs/).

If you're genuinely concerned about violence and also concerned about the attention this particular case is getting, then the most effective campaign/rebuttal would not be to sit back and point out black on black violence in some general sense, but to stand up for victims of said violence by name with the same kind of fervor.
Image

Teresa B
Posts: 3057
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 11:04 am
Location: Tampa, Florida

Re: Maybe Blacks Should Give the Trayvon Martin Story....

Post by Teresa B » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:13 pm

I think it's interesting that it's quite predictable as to which white Americans (liberals) will be on the side of defending Trayvon Martin and which ones (conservatives) are criticizing the African Americans who are protesting the situation, while bringing up Zimmerman's possible defenses. (I am NOT saying this is true 100% of the time, just most of the time.)

I would not even venture to say it's because of "racism" as we think of it (i.e., willful hate or harmful/derisive actions against those of a different race). Maybe it's racism as encompassed in "xenophobia", but not racism in terms of hate. I don't doubt Cosima's friendship with African American neighbors, even as she makes comments reflecting xenophobia. I have done the same myself, and so have you.

For instance, the comment about "Why don't blacks get more involved in protests over black-on-black murder" -- Really? Is the history of this country, in the context of world history, not enough to explain why blacks may not get as worked up about black-on-black crime as they are over white-on-black? And yes, Zimmerman may be Hispanic, but in this case Trayvon Martin was symbolic of the man who was guilty of walking while black, murdered by a non-black vigilante who got off scott-free based on a gun law promoted by white rednecks (yes, the NRA is a symbol of white redneck-ism). Is it so hard to simply see the reality of African Americans' gut response to this, without saying "Why don't they go and protest"....whatever, even if it happens more often than this scenario.

We each belong to some group(s) to which we may feel degrees of loyalty, and degrees of xenophobia toward other groups. This is evolutionary psychology. No matter who you are, you have this innate trait. A recent book by Haidt, "The Righteous Mind", gives some interesting clues about behavior. If you call yourself liberal, you tend to use two guidelines--caring and fairness--as a moral anchor for your opinions. If you are conservative, you also use those, but you also value group loyalty, respect for authority, and the sacred more than liberals.

Obviously it is not black-and-white (so to speak), but more and more it's becoming clear that innate tendencies and intuitive gut responses dictate political leanings. This can be applied to almost any situation in which a moral response is elicited.

Teresa
"We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad." ~ The Cheshire Cat

Author of the novel "Creating Will"

living_stradivarius
Posts: 6724
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:41 pm
Location: Minnesnowta
Contact:

Re: Maybe Blacks Should Give the Trayvon Martin Story....

Post by living_stradivarius » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:19 pm

Teresa B wrote:yes, the NRA is a symbol of white redneck-ism
This was their classy response:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/2 ... 86128.html
Image

Mark Harwood
Posts: 810
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:24 am
Location: Isle of Arran, Scotland.

Re: Maybe Blacks Should Give the Trayvon Martin Story....

Post by Mark Harwood » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:20 pm

Nice one, Teresa.
And, here's another lady with wise words.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBRwiuJ8 ... e=youtu.be

That'll do for me.
"I did it for the music."
Ken Colyer

Cosima___J
Posts: 1486
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:38 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Maybe Blacks Should Give the Trayvon Martin Story....

Post by Cosima___J » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:58 pm

I really like the magazine called "The Week" because they give all sides of various debates going on in our country. In other words, they are not biased for or against any particular political party or viewpoint.

Here are a few excerpts from the April 6th issue:
We don't know yet why Zimmerman pulled the trigger, said Rick Moran in AmericanThinker.com, so turning it into a racial crime is irresponsible. Zimmerman's story is that Martin pounced on him, saying, "You got a problem?" and punched him in the face. He says he fired his gun while Martin had him down on the ground - and cops say witnesses corroborated that account, which is why they didn't charge Zimmerman, whose right to shoot was protected by Florida's "stand you ground" law. Nonetheless, some people have jumped to self-serving conclusions. Obama told the nation to do some "soul searching" in the wake of Martin's death, adding that "if I had a son, he'd look like Trayvon." When Obama made those comments, said Victor Davis Hanson in NaitonalReview.com, the only available photos of Martin showed a cherubic preteen with a gentle smile. Since then a different picture has emerged - that of a 6-foot-2 youth with gold teeth and tattoos, once suspended from school for marijuana possession, whose Twitter handle was "@NO_LIMIT_NIGGA." So who was the aggressor that night? We simply don't know.


So I would have to conclude that Agnes' picture of some sweet little child with lollies and Obama's belief that his son would look like Trayvon might need some rethinking.

living_stradivarius
Posts: 6724
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:41 pm
Location: Minnesnowta
Contact:

Re: Maybe Blacks Should Give the Trayvon Martin Story....

Post by living_stradivarius » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:01 pm

Cosima___J wrote:Zimmerman's story is that Martin pounced on him, saying, "You got a problem?" and punched him in the face. He says he fired his gun while Martin had him down on the ground - and cops say witnesses corroborated that account, which is why they didn't charge Zimmerman,
Even Faux News reports evidence challenging Zimmerman's account: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/03/29/tr ... se-claims/

What we do know for a fact is that Zimmerman forced the confrontation when clearly he had a choice not to.
Image

Cosima___J
Posts: 1486
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:38 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Maybe Blacks Should Give the Trayvon Martin Story....

Post by Cosima___J » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:11 pm

Another story on the web link you provided: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/04/03/nb ... p=obinsite

I have to wonder what else has been "edited" concerning the Trayvon Martin case??????

Teresa B
Posts: 3057
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 11:04 am
Location: Tampa, Florida

Re: Maybe Blacks Should Give the Trayvon Martin Story....

Post by Teresa B » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:28 pm

Cosima___J wrote:I really like the magazine called "The Week" because they give all sides of various debates going on in our country. In other words, they are not biased for or against any particular political party or viewpoint.

Here are a few excerpts from the April 6th issue:
We don't know yet why Zimmerman pulled the trigger, said Rick Moran in AmericanThinker.com, so turning it into a racial crime is irresponsible. Zimmerman's story is that Martin pounced on him, saying, "You got a problem?" and punched him in the face. He says he fired his gun while Martin had him down on the ground - and cops say witnesses corroborated that account, which is why they didn't charge Zimmerman, whose right to shoot was protected by Florida's "stand you ground" law. Nonetheless, some people have jumped to self-serving conclusions. Obama told the nation to do some "soul searching" in the wake of Martin's death, adding that "if I had a son, he'd look like Trayvon." When Obama made those comments, said Victor Davis Hanson in NaitonalReview.com, the only available photos of Martin showed a cherubic preteen with a gentle smile. Since then a different picture has emerged - that of a 6-foot-2 youth with gold teeth and tattoos, once suspended from school for marijuana possession, whose Twitter handle was "@NO_LIMIT_NIGGA." So who was the aggressor that night? We simply don't know.


So I would have to conclude that Agnes' picture of some sweet little child with lollies and Obama's belief that his son would look like Trayvon might need some rethinking.
Maybe...but the truth is, we don't really know the exact series of events. That the conclusions can be self-serving works both ways. Yes, a cherubic photo can surely sway people into thinking this boy was better-behaved than he actually was. But just because he had body decorations and a Twitter handle that squarely put him in a group that white Americans may look at with a jaundiced eye, that does not mean he necessarily acted aggressively in this case, or that it was necessary to kill him. If more definitive evidence comes to light that Zimmerman was attacked, then we have to look at it seriously. Still, Zimmerman followed Trayvon Martin. It's hard to defend that when he was expressly told not to by law enforcement.

Teresa
"We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad." ~ The Cheshire Cat

Author of the novel "Creating Will"

Cosima___J
Posts: 1486
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:38 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Maybe Blacks Should Give the Trayvon Martin Story....

Post by Cosima___J » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:37 pm

Maybe. But I think the story is full of questions that need answers. Maybe we should wait and see if there will be more evidence that comes to light before we condemn either Martin or Zimmerman.

RebLem
Posts: 9117
Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 1:06 pm
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112, 2 blocks west of the Breaking Bad carwash.
Contact:

Re: Maybe Blacks Should Give the Trayvon Martin Story....

Post by RebLem » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:04 pm

Cosima___J wrote:Maybe. But I think the story is full of questions that need answers. Maybe we should wait and see if there will be more evidence that comes to light before we condemn either Martin or Zimmerman.
No one is talking about condemning Zimmerman. We're just talking about arresting him and bringing him to trial. Enough evidence is already available--and was on the night of Trayvon's killing--for that. And while we are talking about Tryavon's tattoes, and his Twitter handle, let us keep in mind 1) they are not crimes, and 2) Zimmerman had no knowledge of them when he shot to kill. The other offenses of which Trayvon is alleged to have been guilty--putting non-gang related graffiti on a school locker, and having an empty bag with mary jane residue, are very minor offenses indeed, of which scores of millions of white kids have been guilty without ever having had to pay with their lives.

And let us remember also, that we have found out that Zimmerman is no cherub, either. Unlike Trayvon, he has an arrest record for multiple offenses.
Don't drink and drive. You might spill it.--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, former Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.

lennygoran
Posts: 15910
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: new york city

Re: Maybe Blacks Should Give the Trayvon Martin Story....

Post by lennygoran » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:46 am

jbuck919 wrote: Well, he didn't obey the police "suggestion" not to pursue the boy. And the rule with many if not most organized neighborhood watch programs is that the volunteers are unarmed. So you have an armed civilian almost looking for trouble and taking matters best left to the police in his own hands. If that isn't vigilantism, then what is?
Thanks, excellent points--I see where Zimmerman had the correct permit but wonder where I could see what would be the position of his neighborhood watch group--would they have told him to not carry his gun or didn't they care?

"Zimmerman no longer possesses the gun he used to kill Martin. But he still has a permit to carry a concealed weapon—and, thanks to Florida's gun laws, he still has the right to buy a new handgun instantly and travel to 35 other states while packing heat.

Protesters have insisted that Zimmerman lose his gun permit. However, Florida is a "shall-issue" state, which means authorities have no discretion over who gets gun permits so long as the applicant meets the basic legal requirements. Unlike "may-issue" states, such as New York and New Jersey, police in Florida can't step in and block a gun permit, says Daniel Vice, a senior attorney at the Brady Center. "Even if the neighbors say, 'No way, don't give this guy a gun,' they have to give them a permit," Vice says.

If Zimmerman is arrested, according to Vice, police can suspend his gun permit. If he is convicted, police can take it away. But at the moment, the authorities can't touch Zimmerman's gun permit.

Zimmerman can also immediately obtain a new handgun (or handguns). Because his concealed-carry permit remains valid, under state law, he can bypass Florida's three-day waiting period to purchase a handgun. And with his Florida state gun permit still valid, he can visit and tote a gun in 35 other states that grant reciprocity for Florida's NRA-backed concealed-carry law, according to Florida's Division of Licensing."

http://motherjones.com/mojo/2012/03/geo ... e-evidence

Regards, Len

diegobueno
Winds Specialist
Posts: 2515
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:26 pm
Contact:

Re: Maybe Blacks Should Give the Trayvon Martin Story....

Post by diegobueno » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:15 am

Cosima___J wrote:Maybe. But I think the story is full of questions that need answers. Maybe we should wait and see if there will be more evidence that comes to light before we condemn either Martin or Zimmerman.
This is exactly where the outrage is coming from. These questions will never be answered in a court of law because George Zimmerman will never face trial for what he did.
Black lives matter.

Proton
Posts: 218
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:10 am
Location: 40° 49' 36.97"N 73° 55' 42.21"W

Re: Maybe Blacks Should Give the Trayvon Martin Story....

Post by Proton » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:54 pm

Getting back to the original post:
Augusta Chronicle Editorial Staff wrote: “Black America needs to get out of the rut of replaying racial injustices of the past,” writes liberal commentator Juan Williams, in a recent Wall Street Journal column. “While civil rights leaders have raised their voices to speak out against this one tragedy, few if any will do the same about the larger tragedy of daily carnage that is black-on-black crime in America.”

Indeed, Williams cites a U.S. Department of Justice study indicating that blacks account for nearly half of the murder victims in America, but that 93 percent of the perpetrators in those cases are other blacks.

“The killing of any child is a tragedy,” Williams writes. “But where are the protests regarding the larger problems facing black America?”

Sadly, there’s more attention to be had by jumping on the float at the race parade.
Williams' assertion is factually incorrect. A 5 minute Google search turned up the following (in reverse chronological order):

In Brooklyn, last week:

http://fort-greene.thelocal.nytimes.com ... -violence/

Gary, IN MAR 2012

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/photos/gal ... plore.html

Pittsburgh SEP 2011

http://newpittsburghcourieronline.com/i ... &Itemid=27

Harlem, SEP 2011

http://newsone.com/1536655/african-american-day-parade/

Chicago: APR 2010

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sectio ... id=7416932

Newark AUG 2009

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?secti ... id=6972920

If anything, this speaks to Williams' laziness as a "journalist", considering that the same facts were readily available to Williams had he actually cared to have done the research before opining in the WSJ. Instead, Williams cynically exploits the situation, by appealing to a target audience of a certain network that shall not be named, an audience that is especially receptive to the notion of "Where's the outrage? Why aren't black folks protesting against violence in their own neighborhoods?"


"A lie can run around the world before the truth can get its boots on."
James Watt

“No government has the right to decide on the truth of scientific principles, nor to prescribe in any way the character of the questions investigated."
Richard Feynman
The Quantum Universe has a quotation from me in every chapter — but it's a damn good book anyway.”
Richard Feynman



Mark Harwood
Posts: 810
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:24 am
Location: Isle of Arran, Scotland.

Re: Maybe Blacks Should Give the Trayvon Martin Story....

Post by Mark Harwood » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:31 pm

"I did it for the music."
Ken Colyer

RebLem
Posts: 9117
Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 1:06 pm
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112, 2 blocks west of the Breaking Bad carwash.
Contact:

Re: Maybe Blacks Should Give the Trayvon Martin Story....

Post by RebLem » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:03 pm

Maybe blacks should just get over this, too?

Racial slur on Mich. road sign targets Trayvon Martin

By Sevil Omer, msnbc.com | April 9, 2012, 4:51 pm

Michigan authorities on Monday launched an investigation after a racial slur targeting Trayvon Martin was discovered on an electronic construction sign along a Detroit-area interstate. Michigan State Police told NBC News affiliate WDIV-TV that someone hacked the road sign along I-94 around 1 a.m. Monday and posted "TRAYVON A N*****".

Martin was shot to death by George Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch volunteer, at a gated community in Sanford, Fla. on Feb. 26. Zimmerman has claimed self-defense, telling police Martin attacked him. Martin was unarmed.

Motorists who saw the sign heading into Dearborn, Mich., pulled over and reported the sign to state troopers. "I feel violated by it," Elaine Bonner told WDIV-TV.

Michigan Department of Transportation spokesperson Rob Morosi said someone broke into the sign’s operating system and put up the racial slur, changing the original message. The message on the construction sign was taken down before Monday’s morning commute. Michigan State Police and the Michigan Department of Transportation are investigating and have turned to the public for help in finding those responsible for the hacking.

"Whoever it is needs to be found. They changed the message, now find the messenger,"the Rev. Wendell Anthony, Detroit NAACP president, told WDIV-TV.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/ ... artin?lite
Don't drink and drive. You might spill it.--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, former Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.

Proton
Posts: 218
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:10 am
Location: 40° 49' 36.97"N 73° 55' 42.21"W

Re: Maybe Blacks Should Give the Trayvon Martin Story....

Post by Proton » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:38 pm


Duly noted in another thread:
http://classicalmusicguide.com/viewtopi ... 11&t=39983

How does that refute the examples I provided above?


"A lie can run around the world before the truth can get its boots on."
James Watt

“No government has the right to decide on the truth of scientific principles, nor to prescribe in any way the character of the questions investigated."
Richard Feynman
The Quantum Universe has a quotation from me in every chapter — but it's a damn good book anyway.”
Richard Feynman



John F
Posts: 21076
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:41 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Maybe Blacks Should Give the Trayvon Martin Story....

Post by John F » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:05 am

April 9, 2012
Prosecutor in Martin Case Will Alone Determine Its Merits
By LIZETTE ALVAREZ and JOHN SCHWARTZ

MIAMI — Angela B. Corey, a Republican state attorney with a reputation for toughness, has decided not to seek a grand jury review of the Trayvon Martin shooting, keeping the resolution of a case that has transfixed the nation solely in her hands.

Ms. Corey, 57, who was appointed special prosecutor in the case by Florida’s governor and attorney general, must decide herself how to proceed with the particularly difficult case, in which many facts are in dispute and no witnesses have come forward publicly. She alone must determine whether to file charges against George Zimmerman, the neighborhood watch coordinator who shot and killed the unarmed Mr. Martin, or to drop the case.

The decision on Monday about how to proceed puts Ms. Corey not only at the center of a national discussion of race and violence — Mr. Zimmerman, 28, is Hispanic; Mr. Martin, 17, was black — but also of the finer points of law. The fact that no arrest has been made nor legal action taken in the Feb. 26 shooting has enraged many people across the country and has led to angry marches and protests.

The pressure to bring charges is “unbelievable,” said Tor J. Friedman, a criminal defense lawyer in Tallahassee. “We always talk about a rush to judgment in other cases,” he said, but in this case the question is more like, “Why wasn’t this person taken to the town square and flogged in front of everybody?’ ”

But legal experts say the need for caution over speed is especially great in a case like this one. Mr. Zimmerman said he acted in self-defense, and law enforcement officials chose not to charge him under Florida’s lenient self-defense law, known as Stand Your Ground. Under the law, anyone person who perceives a threat to his life is not required to attempt a retreat and has a right to use a weapon. It requires law enforcement officials to prove that a suspect did not act in self-defense, and sets the case on a slow track.

Unless investigators find witnesses or direct evidence of the confrontation preceding Mr. Martin’s death, such as signs of a struggle, prosecutors would have to build a circumstantial case, often the hardest to make. In high-profile cases, the constitutional principle of the presumption of innocence can be especially strong — another reason to proceed with care, according to legal experts.

Florida criminal law, like most states, does not require a rush to file charges in such a case, Mr. Friedman said; the statute of limitations in manslaughter cases is measured in years, not weeks. Mr. Friedman, a former prosecutor, said that it served no one to take a defendant to trial before the evidence for a conviction could be collected; a prosecutor, he said, has “an ethical obligation” to build and believe in a case that can be proved beyond a reasonable doubt.

Once the evidence is in hand, Ms. Corey will have to determine not just whether to file charges but if so, which ones. By stating that she will not be using the grand jury, she has signaled that charges of first-degree murder are not on the table. In Florida, those charges can be issued only by a grand jury, and require a finding that the act was premeditated. A more likely charge under Florida law is manslaughter, but lesser charges like aggravated battery with a firearm are also a possibility, Mr. Friedman said.

Ms. Corey’s decision to forgo a grand jury is not unusual. Like other chief prosecutors in Florida, she typically steers clear of grand juries, unless required as in requests to try juveniles as adults.

Jeffrey S. Weiner, a criminal defense lawyer in Miami, said, “This is a courageous decision, no matter what she decides to do. A grand jury would have been a cop-out.”..

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/10/us/gr ... -case.html

Only if the evidence absolutely excludes the possibility of first degree murder - a conclusion that Ms. Corey appears to have jumped to. If she changes her mind about that, apparently she will have to change her mind about the grand jury.
John Francis

John F
Posts: 21076
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:41 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Maybe Blacks Should Give the Trayvon Martin Story....

Post by John F » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:02 am

Why no grand jury in killing of Trayvon Martin is a ‘positive’ sign
By Jonathan Capehart

Angela Corey, the special prosecutor investigating the killing of Trayvon Martin by George Zimmerman, announced today that she was skipping the grand jury and will continue with her own investigation. In fact, sources are telling WFTV in Orlando that an arrest of Zimmerman could happen as early as this week. All this must have Trayvon’s parents breathing a sigh of relief.

Benjamin Crump, a lawyer for Trayvon’s parents, never wanted the case to go to a grand jury. He made that point when he and the parents met with editors and writers at The [Washington] Post last month. He made that point on one phone call after another that I could overhear while walking with him here in Washington and at 30 Rock in New York. And it was a point he made to me again when we spoke Friday.

“A grand jury is bad,” Crump said. Calling it a “private proceeding,” he added that he feared a grand jury would allow officials to “pass the buck and say the grand jury didn’t have any evidence.” He also feared that a grand jury in Sanford, Fla., would not work in the family’s favor, no matter what the evidence showed. Still, he knows that nothing is guaranteed now that the special prosecutor has bypassed the grand jury. “We want to believe that this would be a positive sign that the prosecutor has enough information to arrest Trayvon Martin's killer,” Crump told USA Today just after the announcement.

Corey cautioned in her announcement that “[t]he decision should not be considered a factor in the final determination of the case” — that final determination being whether to indict and arrest Zimmerman in the killing of Trayvon. The fact that the pistol-packing neighborhood watch volunteer has not been arrested for taking the life of an unarmed 17-year-old makes a mockery of justice.

There are a slew of unanswered questions that an arrest and certainly a trial might answer. For justice to mean anything, there must be both.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/pos ... _blog.html
John Francis

jbuck919
Military Band Specialist
Posts: 26867
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Stony Creek, New York

Re: Maybe Blacks Should Give the Trayvon Martin Story....

Post by jbuck919 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:52 pm

In fact, sources are telling WFTV in Orlando that an arrest of Zimmerman could happen as early as this week.
That sounds like wishful thinking. Even if there is an arrest, the main obstacle here is the letter of the law. How do you prosecute a man for shooting someone in self-defense when the law virtually defines self-defense as the not-necessarily-corroborated subjective feeling of being threatened? If that weren't the basic problem, the Sarasota police would have arrested Zimmerman immediately; it is not their job to re-write the law as they go along.

I hope I am wrong about this; I am certainly not up on every aspect of the legal situation. But I do wonder if it isn't going to take a crime even more cold-blooded to restore normality to the ability of Floridians to rely on the protection of statutory law against being shot at the will of a determined assailant. Maybe it will take something like a son killing his wealthy mother for the inheritance and claiming that in a senile rage she came at him with a knife. No, given the strength of the gun lobby, five or six such crimes.

There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.
-- Johann Sebastian Bach

John F
Posts: 21076
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:41 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Maybe Blacks Should Give the Trayvon Martin Story....

Post by John F » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:07 pm

Wikipedia quotes the relevant sections of the Florida law:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stand-your ... aw#Florida

The state can arrest and prosecute Zimmerman if it has evidence that he didn't or couldn't reasonably believe he was in imminent danger of death or great bodily harm to himself, or that he initially provoked the use of force against himself and didn't try to escape it. If I'm reading the law correctly. The videotape of his arrival at police HQ, and testimony by the policemen who observed him or were otherwise involved, might provide a reasonable basis for the arrest and prosecution, as might the lack of any witnesses to corroborate Zimmerman's story. Presumably this is what the special prosecutor is investigating.
John Francis

living_stradivarius
Posts: 6724
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:41 pm
Location: Minnesnowta
Contact:

Re: Maybe Blacks Should Give the Trayvon Martin Story....

Post by living_stradivarius » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:38 pm

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/326099/ ... martin.htm

Then there's this story, which came up a while back but has been ignored. Either you organize and protest or nothing gets done.
Image

RebLem
Posts: 9117
Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 1:06 pm
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112, 2 blocks west of the Breaking Bad carwash.
Contact:

Re: Maybe Blacks Should Give the Trayvon Martin Story....

Post by RebLem » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:42 pm

BREAKING NEWS--

George Zimmerman's lawyers are on MSNBC now stating that they "have lost track" of George as of Sunday, and they are resigning as his counsel. Apparently he is now a fugitive from justice. Perhaps he is hiding out somewhere in Augusta, GA, where he apparently has many supporters.
Don't drink and drive. You might spill it.--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, former Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.

John F
Posts: 21076
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:41 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Maybe Blacks Should Give the Trayvon Martin Story....

Post by John F » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:26 pm

George Zimmerman Releases Statement, Speaking for First Time About Trayvon Martin Case

By MATT GUTMAN (@mattgutmanABC) , SENI TIENABESO (@senijr_abc) and CANDACE SMITH
April 9, 2012

After weeks of silence and seclusion, George Zimmerman has released a public statement about the shooting death of Trayvon Martin, referring to incident as a "life altering event," on his website, therealgeorgezimmerman.com. In a statement on the site, which Zimmerman's attorneys have confirmed to ABC News belongs to him, the 28-year-old wrote, "As a result of the incident and subsequent media coverage, I have been forced to leave my home, my school, my employer, my family, and ultimately my entire life."

Zimmerman says his website gives him an outlet to speak directly to his supporters. On the site he created a PayPal account where he also asks supporters to donate to his legal fund and living expenses. However, the site has been unavailable intermittently throughout the day.

These first public comments come as the special prosecutor investigating the shooting decided against empanelling a grand jury to seek an indictment against Zimmerman. The decision to forego a grand jury precludes a first-degree murder charge, but prosecutors insist that was never a viable option. Charges against Zimmerman, if filed, could come within days.

"The state must go forward and be able to prove its case beyond a reasonable doubt," said Angela Corey, the special prosecutor assigned to the case, in a statement. Corey, a state's attorney based in Jacksonville, took over the case three weeks after the February 26th shooting. Her team has had to re-investigate virtually the entire case from scratch after a string of alleged police missteps.

Zimmerman told police that he shot the 17-year-old Miami teen in self-defense. His attorneys tell ABC News they plan on invoking Florida's controversial "Stand Your Ground" law, which would be a tough defense for Corey to overcome. "It makes the case, in general, more difficult than a normal criminal case," Corey recently told ABC News.

Hal Uhrig, Zimmerman's attorney, in a statement to ABC News called Corey a "fair" prosecutor adding "We are hopeful she sees the clear evidence, applies the law and declines to prosecute."

As Corey's investigation continues, Sanford remains a city on edge. Earlier protestors demanding Zimmerman's arrest blockaded the Sanford police department forcing its closure for several hours. Emergency operation centers opened in three counties in anticipation of possible unrest as the days continue to drag on without an arrest. "Are we are a kindling box? Sure," said Sanford mayor Jeff Triplett in an interview Monday. "But we plan for the worst and hope for the best… and so far all the protests so far have been absolutely peaceful"...

http://abcnews.go.com/US/george-zimmerm ... 4SketlfRNA
John Francis

John F
Posts: 21076
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:41 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Maybe Blacks Should Give the Trayvon Martin Story....

Post by John F » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:28 pm

George Zimmerman's Legal Team Calls It Quits

BY ENJOLI FRANCIS and MATT GUTMAN (@mattgutmanABC)
SANFORD, Fla. April 10, 2012

In a hastily convened news conference, George Zimmerman's legal team said today they would no longer represent the man who fatally shot unarmed Florida teenager Trayvon Martin. Zimmerman's lawyers said they are withdrawing from the case because they have lost contact with Zimmerman, who is refusing to answer their calls, texts and emails.

Zimmerman, 28, a white Hispanic neighborhood watch captain, shot and killed the black, unarmed Miami teenager Feb. 26 after following him for several minutes.

The lawyers said they had not spoken to him since Sunday, after they set up a website with his father for his legal defense. The following day, Zimmerman announced a separate website that surprised the lawyers.

Craig Sonner, one of the lawyers, said there were "lots of things going on that I don't know about," including Zimmerman speaking to Fox TV's Sean Hannity off the record and calling the special prosecutor who is investigating the shooting. "We were a bit astonished," one of the lawyers said referring to the call to the special prosecutor. He said the prosecutor's office declined to speak to Zimmerman without his lawyers, but Zimmerman replied that they were merely his legal advisers, the attorney said.

The two lawyers said they were concerned about Zimmerman, who they described as isolated. "He can't go out to a 7/11 to buy a Diet Coke. There's a bounty out there," one of his lawyers said and suggested Zimmerman was probably suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder. "Perhaps the pressure has pushed him over the edge," the lawyer said. The attorney suggested Zimmerman may not be handling the pressure and has lost weight.

He also said that Zimmerman was not in Florida, saying, "You can stop looking for him in Florida. Look much further than that."

Both lawyers said they still stood by their belief that Zimmerman had shot Martin in self-defense. "We frankly believe that the correct decision would be not to charge him," Sonner said.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/george-zimmerm ... 4SlgdlfRNA
John Francis

living_stradivarius
Posts: 6724
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:41 pm
Location: Minnesnowta
Contact:

Re: Maybe Blacks Should Give the Trayvon Martin Story....

Post by living_stradivarius » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:35 pm

Craig Sonner, one of the lawyers, said there were "lots of things going on that I don't know about," including Zimmerman speaking to Fox TV's Sean Hannity off the record and calling the special prosecutor who is investigating the shooting.
Image
Image

Proton
Posts: 218
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:10 am
Location: 40° 49' 36.97"N 73° 55' 42.21"W

Re: Maybe Blacks Should Give the Trayvon Martin Story....

Post by Proton » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:19 pm

Finally! If anything, this sends the right message, namely that loss of life must be taken seriously. Now leave it to the court to decide Zimmerman's fate.


George Zimmerman to be charged in Trayvon Martin shooting, official says
By Sari Horwitz, Updated: Wednesday, April 11, 2:46 PM

Florida special prosecutor Angela Corey plans to announce as early as Wednesday afternoon that she is charging neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman in the shooting of Trayvon Martin, according to a law enforcement official close to the investigation.

It was not immediately clear what charge Zimmerman will face.

Martin, 17 and unarmed, was shot and killed Feb. 26 by Zimmerman, who said he was acting in self-defense. Police in Sanford, Fla., where the shooting took place, did not charge Zimmerman, citing the state’s “stand your ground” law.

Corey’s office released a statement saying it would hold a news conference “to release new information regarding the Trayvon Martin shooting death investigation” at 6 p.m. Wednesday in Jacksonville, Fla.

Benjamin Crump, who is representing the Martin family, said this week that Corey’s office had asked where Trayvon’s parents would be each day this week. They arrived Wednesday in Washington for a civil rights conference organized by the Rev. Al Sharpton, where they spoke to reporters.

Sabryna Fulton and Tracy Martin, Trayvon’s parents, said they would not comment on the charges because they had not been personally notified. They scheduled a press conference for 5 :15 p.m.

Earlier reports that Zimmerman’s lawyers said they did not know where he was did not bother Trayvon’s parents, they said.

“We do have faith in the justice system. When it is time to arrest him, they will find him,” Fulton said.

The announcement of a charge against Zimmerman would come a day after Zimmerman’s attorneys withdrew from the case, citing their inability to contact Zimmerman.

Lawyers Craig Sonner and Hal Uhrig on Tuesday expressed concern about Zimmerman’s emotional and physical well-being, saying he has taken actions without consulting them. They also said they do not know where Zimmerman is.

“You can stop looking in Florida,” Uhrig told reporters. “Look much further away than that.”

Corey said Monday that she would not bring the case before a grand jury, which was expected to convene this week. She said her decision to forgo the grand jury should not be viewed as an indication of whether charges will be filed.

Corey has indicated in recent weeks that she might not need a grand jury to bring charges against Zimmerman.

The lawyers said they stand by their assertions that Zimmerman acted in self-defense when he killed the 17-year-old, who was unarmed, but they acknowledged that they formed their impressions without meeting Zimmerman.












http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/ ... ml?hpid=z1


"A lie can run around the world before the truth can get its boots on."
James Watt

“No government has the right to decide on the truth of scientific principles, nor to prescribe in any way the character of the questions investigated."
Richard Feynman
The Quantum Universe has a quotation from me in every chapter — but it's a damn good book anyway.”
Richard Feynman



jbuck919
Military Band Specialist
Posts: 26867
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Stony Creek, New York

Re: Maybe Blacks Should Give the Trayvon Martin Story....

Post by jbuck919 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:29 pm

Proton wrote:Finally! If anything, this sends the right message, namely that loss of life must be taken seriously. Now leave it to the court to decide Zimmerman's fate.
If only it were that simple.

There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.
-- Johann Sebastian Bach

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests