YOU ARE THE COMPANY YOU KEEP

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

dulcinea

YOU ARE THE COMPANY YOU KEEP

Post by dulcinea » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:20 pm

First woody allen and ed schultz wish that bho could be a dictator, and now harry belafonte DEMANDS that bho conduct himself like a 3rd world dictator.
What kind of leader does this country now have that attracts this breed of supporters?
Let every thing that has breath praise the Lord! Alleluya!

Teresa B

Re: YOU ARE THE COMPANY YOU KEEP

Post by Teresa B » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:28 am

dulcinea wrote:First woody allen and ed schultz wish that bho could be a dictator, and now harry belafonte DEMANDS that bho conduct himself like a 3rd world dictator.
What kind of leader does this country now have that attracts this breed of supporters?
Oh, so now President Obama is responsible for Harry Belafonte's pronouncements?
...Daylight come, and me wan' go home...!
:lol:
"We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad." ~ The Cheshire Cat

Author of the novel "Creating Will"

dulcinea

Post by dulcinea » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:30 am

Teresa B wrote:
dulcinea wrote:First woody allen and ed schultz wish that bho could be a dictator, and now harry belafonte DEMANDS that bho conduct himself like a 3rd world dictator.
Oh, so now President Obama is responsible for Harry Belafonte's pronouncements?
...Daylight come, and me wan' go home...!
:lol:
Thine mirth amuses none.
One thing that is rigorously taught in the armed forces, religious institutions and the Scout Movt is that a leader is responsible for the actions of those whom he commands. A leader who does not control his followers does not deserve to be called a leader. Remember all those bishops who had to shoulder the blame for mishandling the molester priests' crisis? Same principle applies here.
Let every thing that has breath praise the Lord! Alleluya!

barney

Post by barney » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:46 am

In what sense does Obama "command" Woody Allen? Still less Belafonte (he's not an American citizen, is he)? Has the dictatorship Allen apparently craves already arrived? The thought police are out there?

Did Obama "command" the Newtown killer. Is that his fault too? If he's commander of the "free world", as some Americans tell us, is he my commander too because Australia is part of the free world. Is it his fault I got a speeding ticket a couple of weeks ago? I'm not sure where such reasoning could lead us. Nowhere good, I fancy.

Regarding the less than benign bishops, they were not held to blame because there were bad apples among the priests, which can happen in any institution, but for their own actions in knowingly and wilfully allowing predators to continue their predation by moving them from parish to parish, hiding them from secular authorities, protecting them and putting the predators' interests (and their own) above those of children. Bit different from an asinine call for a dictatorship that no one takes seriously.

Tarantella

Post by Tarantella » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:31 am

barney wrote:In what sense does Obama "command" Woody Allen? Still less Belafonte (he's not an American citizen, is he)? Has the dictatorship Allen apparently craves already arrived? The thought police are out there?

Did Obama "command" the Newtown killer. Is that his fault too? If he's commander of the "free world", as some Americans tell us, is he my commander too because Australia is part of the free world. Is it his fault I got a speeding ticket a couple of weeks ago? I'm not sure where such reasoning could lead us. Nowhere good, I fancy.

Regarding the less than benign bishops, they were not held to blame because there were bad apples among the priests, which can happen in any institution, but for their own actions in knowingly and wilfully allowing predators to continue their predation by moving them from parish to parish, hiding them from secular authorities, protecting them and putting the predators' interests (and their own) above those of children. Bit different from an asinine call for a dictatorship that no one takes seriously.
Think happy thoughts at Christmas!!
Last edited by Tarantella on Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

John F

Post by John F » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:51 am

dulcinea wrote:One thing that is rigorously taught in the armed forces, religious institutions and the Scout Movt is that a leader is responsible for the actions of those whom he commands. A leader who does not control his followers does not deserve to be called a leader.
What on earth can you be talking about? Do you really think the President should control the opinions and speech of the people, that he should "command" them? Now it's you who want him to be a dictator.

He actually commands only the armed forces, as Commander in Chief, but I don't think that's what you're talking about. And under the Constitution, even the lowliest private or seaman is free to speak his/her mind within the limits of the Uniform Code of Military Justice.

This is the United States, not Communist China.
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:31 am

dulcinea wrote: Thine mirth amuses none.
Please speak for yourself--I was quite amused! Regards, Len :)

Teresa B

Post by Teresa B » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:37 am

John F wrote:
dulcinea wrote:One thing that is rigorously taught in the armed forces, religious institutions and the Scout Movt is that a leader is responsible for the actions of those whom he commands. A leader who does not control his followers does not deserve to be called a leader.
What on earth can you be talking about? Do you really think the President should control the opinions and speech of the people, that he should "command" them? Now it's you who want him to be a dictator.

He actually commands only the armed forces, as Commander in Chief, but I don't think that's what you're talking about. And under the Constitution, even the lowliest private or seaman is free to speak his/her mind within the limits of the Uniform Code of Military Justice.

This is the United States, not Communist China.
Exactly.

lennygoran wrote:
dulcinea wrote:dulcinea wrote:
Thine mirth amuses none.
Please speak for yourself--I was quite amused! Regards, Len
:)
"We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad." ~ The Cheshire Cat

Author of the novel "Creating Will"