3 year old Adonis Ortiz survives first 5 organ transplant

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

RebLem
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112, 2 blocks west of the Breaking Bad carwash.

3 year old Adonis Ortiz survives first 5 organ transplant

Post by RebLem » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:52 am

Florida boy survives first-ever five organ transplant

By Beau Zimmer, WTSP-TV, Tampa-St. Petersburg, Fla. 9:52 a.m. EST December 18, 2013

TAMPA, Florida -
Three-year-old Adonis Ortiz's young life is a story of survival, faith and love. "Everything they would keep telling me is that he would have a 50/50 chance," recalls his mother Aracelis Ortiz.

Born with a severe birth defect that left his intestines formed outside his body, additional complications meant only one hope for survival; a never before attempt at a five-organ transplant. "For you to have a donor, a baby must die," said grandmother Elvira Cruz. "That was the hardest part for us."

The life-saving call about a transplant match came in October. The three-year-old boy was rushed to Miami with just hours notice. His parents were unsure if the procedure would work, or if their son would survive. "I just get on my knees, and say God please, just do what you have to do," said Adonis' father Emir Ortiz.

Defying all odds, the liver, pancreas, stomach and small and large intestine transplants worked. The three-year-old boy is still recovering at Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami.

"He is really strong," said his mother. "After all his surgeries, he comes out with a smile." Back home in Tampa, the rest of his family awaits Adonis' return home. "I know it's all God's doing. And I know there were a lot of people praying for him," said his grandmother of the recovery.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... t/4108483/
Don't drink and drive. You might spill it.--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, former Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.

Cosima___J

Re: 3 year old Adonis Ortiz survives first 5 organ transplan

Post by Cosima___J » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:35 am

I love that story. Thanks for posting it.

And the little guy's first name fits ---- he is quite the handsome young man!