Splitsville - not

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

John F

Splitsville - not

Post by John F » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:49 am

Scots Reject Independence From Britain in Historic Vote
By ALAN COWELL and STEVEN ERLANGER
SEPT. 19, 2014

EDINBURGH — Voters in Scotland rejected independence from Britain in a referendum that had threatened to break up their 307-year union, according to an official count on Friday from almost all voting areas.

Alex Salmond, the leader of the Scottish National Party and first minister of Scotland, who led the campaign for secession, conceded defeat in an address to cheering supporters. “I accept the verdict of the people,” he said. "And I call on all the people of Scotland to accept the democratic verdict of the people of Scotland.”

The vote was a decisive 55 percent against independence to 45 percent in favor. Mr. Salmond stressed that, even though the anti-independence campaign had prevailed, some 1.6 million Scottish residents had voted to end the union, providing what he termed a “substantial” bloc of support to press for new powers promised by political leaders in London.

Before dawn, after a night of counting that showed a steady trend in favor of maintaining the union, Nicola Sturgeon, the deputy head of the pro-independence Scottish National Party, effectively conceded defeat for the “yes” campaign that had pressed for secession.
“Like thousands of others across the country I’ve put my heart and soul into this campaign and there is a real sense of disappointment that we’ve fallen narrowly short of securing a ‘yes’ vote,” Ms. Sturgeon told BBC television, with 26 of 32 voting areas having reported results.

Shortly after Ms. Sturgeon’s comments, Edinburgh, the capital of Scotland and seat of its Parliament, reported a huge gain for the “no” camp, with more than 194,000 voters rejecting independence compared with almost 124,000 in favor. Glasgow, the largest city in Scotland, had voted in favor of secession by a lower margin...

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/20/world ... te-no.html
John Francis