Revealing Trump interview...

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Post Reply
rwetmore
Posts: 3042
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:24 pm

Revealing Trump interview...

Post by rwetmore » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:00 am

"Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted. That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history."
- Aldous Huxley

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing has happened."
-Winston Churchill

“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one!”
–Charles Mackay

"It doesn't matter how smart you are - if you don't stop and think."
-Thomas Sowell

"It's one of the functions of the mainstream news media to fact-check political speech and where there are lies, to reveal them to the voters."
-John F. (of CMG)

John F
Posts: 19858
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:41 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Revealing Trump interview...

Post by John F » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:10 am

The man's a buffoon. Who cares what he says?
John Francis

lennygoran
Posts: 13974
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: new york city

Re: Revealing Trump interview...

Post by lennygoran » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:48 am

John F wrote:The man's a buffoon. Who cares what he says?
Hope hemakes it to a few of the Republican TV debates-that should be fun! Only thing about trump I like is we can stay at his atlantic city taj mahal hotel for about $70 a night-it`s a superb room too! Len :lol:

rwetmore
Posts: 3042
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:24 pm

Re: Revealing Trump interview...

Post by rwetmore » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:50 am

John F wrote:The man's a buffoon. Who cares what he says?
I guess that's what they want you to believe. He answers many pertinent questions very candidly in this interview.
"Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted. That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history."
- Aldous Huxley

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing has happened."
-Winston Churchill

“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one!”
–Charles Mackay

"It doesn't matter how smart you are - if you don't stop and think."
-Thomas Sowell

"It's one of the functions of the mainstream news media to fact-check political speech and where there are lies, to reveal them to the voters."
-John F. (of CMG)

piston
Posts: 10767
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:50 am

Re: Revealing Trump interview...

Post by piston » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:03 am

With Trump, expect the same theme on virtually any political topic: the art of "deal making." Politicians are not good deal makers because they're all talk and no action. The country is not well served at present --in trade talks, with the ongoing Iran negotiations, in its fight against ISIS, etc.-- because people like Kerry are not deal makers. Rather than going to the negotiating table in a position of strength, politicians negotiate like "beggars." Also, expect Trump to show his credentials as presidential candidate by pointing to how his statements in the past turned out to be true, such as with the War in Iraq in 2004, but that nobody paid attention to his words of wisdom because they think of him as a "buffoon." But, being the copycats they all are, politicians eventually appropriate such ideas as their own without giving him any credit for them.

He is a businessman who believes he is always right and is also the best "deal maker" for the USA. We have one of those characters currently serving as our state governor and, predictably, he has antagonized nearly everybody because of his unilateral actions, his disdain for political obstructionism (the theme of all talk, no action), and his countless vetoes. Trump, like LePage, are the type of leaders who approach politics like a business: "Let me do what I want to do, without obstruction, and all will go fine!"
In the eyes of those lovers of perfection, a work is never finished—a word that for them has no sense—but abandoned....(Paul Valéry)

Agnes Selby
Author of Constanze Mozart's biography
Posts: 5568
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:27 am
Location: Australia

Re: Revealing Trump interview...

Post by Agnes Selby » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:23 pm

I can only go on what I see in the newspapers and on TV. I see that Trump has chosen
a mighty weapon - HATE. It worked for Hitler and seems to be working for Trump.
He is "trumpeting" against a minority, something people have carried in their hearts
and did not dare to express. So did Hitler and it was a winning recipe. I feel
a disaster coming to America if he is elected president.

rwetmore
Posts: 3042
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:24 pm

Re: Revealing Trump interview...

Post by rwetmore » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:06 am

Agnes Selby wrote:I can only go on what I see in the newspapers and on TV.
That's your problem. The MSM is not going to cover Trump fairly or objectively, but wants to paint him in a certain (largely) negative way to control how the public (i.e. people like you) perceives him. That you can see virtually nothing but hate, or even Hitler-esque hate, from him is beyond my ability to comprehend. Did you actually watch the interview?
Last edited by rwetmore on Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted. That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history."
- Aldous Huxley

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing has happened."
-Winston Churchill

“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one!”
–Charles Mackay

"It doesn't matter how smart you are - if you don't stop and think."
-Thomas Sowell

"It's one of the functions of the mainstream news media to fact-check political speech and where there are lies, to reveal them to the voters."
-John F. (of CMG)

rwetmore
Posts: 3042
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:24 pm

Re: Revealing Trump interview...

Post by rwetmore » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:12 am

Agnes Selby wrote:I feel
a disaster coming to America if he is elected president.
BTW, there is probably disaster coming to America regardless of who is elected, as we've blown up a huge financial and market bubble that seems destined to burst in the not too distant future. While I would like to see it prevented somehow, I'm not at all confident it can be even with the 'best' president in office (which may or may not be Trump). Though at least Trump not only seems to know it, but isn't afraid to say it.
"Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted. That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history."
- Aldous Huxley

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing has happened."
-Winston Churchill

“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one!”
–Charles Mackay

"It doesn't matter how smart you are - if you don't stop and think."
-Thomas Sowell

"It's one of the functions of the mainstream news media to fact-check political speech and where there are lies, to reveal them to the voters."
-John F. (of CMG)

lennygoran
Posts: 13974
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: new york city

Re: Revealing Trump interview...

Post by lennygoran » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:16 am

rwetmore wrote:
Agnes Selby wrote: While I would like to see it prevented somehow, I'm not at all confident it can be even with the 'best' president in office (which may or may not be Trump).
Trump can't even handle his own economics properly-look at all the money he lost with the Mexican immigrant comments! Hope to him and our governor on the same stage in a debate! Regards, Len :lol: :lol: :lol:

Agnes Selby
Author of Constanze Mozart's biography
Posts: 5568
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:27 am
Location: Australia

Re: Revealing Trump interview...

Post by Agnes Selby » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:58 pm

Trump's statement about Mexican migrants reveals the "hate" factor which most
people like to embrace. If you look at history you will find that people "love to hate".
Crafty leaders have always found hatred a very important ploy in wars. I likened
his speech referring to the Mexicans the same ploy Hitler used against Jews, Gypsies and Slavs.
His reference to the Mexicans got many a heart pumping.

Of course, I live in Australia. My 10 years spent in America in the 1980s was a pleasant
experience. I often wonder if I would feel the same way today.

piston
Posts: 10767
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:50 am

Re: Revealing Trump interview...

Post by piston » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:07 pm

And it is interesting to me that a businessman of his stature who, by definition, always calculates the odds, is satisfied with his alleged "hundreds of cases" of Mexican migrants raping women, etc. Even if he were accurate, and I sincerely doubt it, what does that number amount to in terms of the millions who have sought refuge, hope, a decent life in the USA? I bet that he has "invested" in situations with terrible odds compared to his "hundreds" out of millions.
In the eyes of those lovers of perfection, a work is never finished—a word that for them has no sense—but abandoned....(Paul Valéry)

piston
Posts: 10767
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:50 am

Re: Revealing Trump interview...

Post by piston » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:30 pm

What's happening here is the same scenario to what happened one hundred and thirty years ago with French Canadians, then referred as the "Chinese of the Eastern States" and accused, among many crimes, of dumping in the USA the undesirable elements of their society. They had to form an inter-state committee to respond, factually, to these allegations. Statistically speaking...
... undocumented immigrants are actually less likely to be incarcerated than US citizens for non-immigration offences.
Mexican immigrants, including those with limited educations, are incarcerated at lower rates than even native-born high school graduates, according to the Migration Policy Institute.
As was pointed out recently in the Economist, cities such as San Diego and San Antonio have many undocumented Mexican immigrants, but relatively low crime rates.
Trump is a dangerous populist, not a "buffoon," who draws the attention not only of rednecks in places like Texas and Arizona but also of educated people who are looking for a fast (and surely dictatorial) "deal" to fix complex, fundamental problems.
In the eyes of those lovers of perfection, a work is never finished—a word that for them has no sense—but abandoned....(Paul Valéry)

rwetmore
Posts: 3042
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:24 pm

Re: Revealing Trump interview...

Post by rwetmore » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:38 am

Agnes Selby wrote:Trump's statement about Mexican migrants reveals the "hate" factor which most
people like to embrace. If you look at history you will find that people "love to hate".
Crafty leaders have always found hatred a very important ploy in wars. I likened
his speech referring to the Mexicans the same ploy Hitler used against Jews, Gypsies and Slavs.
His reference to the Mexicans got many a heart pumping.
Again, how you can see anything from Trump, the Mexican comments or otherwise, as hateful is just beyond my ability to comprehend. Have you actually watched any interview from him in full? Or seen some of his full length responses to the Mexican comments? Not only do I not see any hate, I see precisely the contrary from Trump. Does not seem slighted bit hateful or resentful to anyone, but rather upbeat toward all the people of the country; and very upbeat in general.

Sometimes I wonder what the heck you people are actually watching or how your brains see and process these things. I suspect you're just seeing carefully cut bits from the media that are designed to cast him in negative light. That fact that the media will not cover him fairly, i.e give him a fair shake, is highly revealing to me. The vast majority of the public wants the border protected if not completely sealed off except to legal immigrants, and there is good reason for this. Instead of addressing this issue/question, they name call and take his comments out of context.
"Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted. That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history."
- Aldous Huxley

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing has happened."
-Winston Churchill

“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one!”
–Charles Mackay

"It doesn't matter how smart you are - if you don't stop and think."
-Thomas Sowell

"It's one of the functions of the mainstream news media to fact-check political speech and where there are lies, to reveal them to the voters."
-John F. (of CMG)

piston
Posts: 10767
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:50 am

Re: Revealing Trump interview...

Post by piston » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:42 pm

I refer you to my last post: his tone of voice may sound calm and "objective" about the "Mexican" situation, but his message is entirely hateful. (I did watch that very long video of yours and I am referring you here to when he briefly looks back to his female secretary for his "evidence"). What do you think he's doing when he refers to a case of a "Mexican" raping an elderly woman and another case of a "Mexican" raping a baby?!!!

Are you completely blind, Mr. rwetmore?????

You certainly are in climate matters and it appears that you are very much ready to jump on the populist bandwagon of a great racial trouble-maker.
In the eyes of those lovers of perfection, a work is never finished—a word that for them has no sense—but abandoned....(Paul Valéry)

piston
Posts: 10767
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:50 am

Re: Revealing Trump interview...

Post by piston » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:03 pm

The last person who was so emphatic about his evidence, like that, "hundreds of cases," for Trump, was Jos McCarthy with his long list of communists in Washington, D.C. Both characters completely dismiss all politicians in the nation's capital (with the implication that they're better than any one of them!). Both characters believe, sincerely, that they are never wrong (Trump says so in the video). Both characters lead in the same direction: dictatorship.
In the eyes of those lovers of perfection, a work is never finished—a word that for them has no sense—but abandoned....(Paul Valéry)

rwetmore
Posts: 3042
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:24 pm

Re: Revealing Trump interview...

Post by rwetmore » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:13 am

piston wrote:I refer you to my last post: his tone of voice may sound calm and "objective" about the "Mexican" situation, but his message is entirely hateful. (I did watch that very long video of yours and I am referring you here to when he briefly looks back to his female secretary for his "evidence"). What do you think he's doing when he refers to a case of a "Mexican" raping an elderly woman and another case of a "Mexican" raping a baby?!!!
He's simply pointing out that many illegals coming across unchecked are violent criminals committing crimes in the United States, and that this is serious problem. I don't understand how that in anyway whatsoever is illiciting hate toward Mexicans in general.

How anyone can listen to Trump and see a hateful man toward anyone (of any race or creed) is beyond my capacity to comprehend, sorry.
"Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted. That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history."
- Aldous Huxley

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing has happened."
-Winston Churchill

“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one!”
–Charles Mackay

"It doesn't matter how smart you are - if you don't stop and think."
-Thomas Sowell

"It's one of the functions of the mainstream news media to fact-check political speech and where there are lies, to reveal them to the voters."
-John F. (of CMG)

rwetmore
Posts: 3042
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:24 pm

Re: Revealing Trump interview...

Post by rwetmore » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:31 am

piston wrote:The last person who was so emphatic about his evidence, like that, "hundreds of cases," for Trump, was Jos McCarthy with his long list of communists in Washington, D.C. Both characters completely dismiss all politicians in the nation's capital (with the implication that they're better than any one of them!). Both characters believe, sincerely, that they are never wrong (Trump says so in the video). Both characters lead in the same direction: dictatorship.
Yeah, Trump is really a closet dictator and communist. :lol: Talk about the world upside down. Take a look in the White House, as the sitting President has behaved far more like a dictator than perhaps any president preceding him (except maybe Woodrow Wilson). Anything he can't get through congress he just issues an executive order or tries to sidestep via the EPA. The entire voting and legislative process is just a big annoying thing that's in his way. A true believer in a free republic stands down when the voting electorate effectively says no to his or her agenda, especially when it's an agenda that has broad sweeping impact on the daily lives of the citizens and requires congressional approval.

Trump doesn't believe in significant man-made global warming and thinks we have far bigger problems to worry about, which is ridiculously true BTW. That alone tells me he has a head on his shoulders. We have an enemy that wants to obliterate us from the planet and is trying to obtain nuclear weapons to use against us, and Obama's most worried about global warming. It's the biggest threat facing the human race according to him. And you're worried about president Trump. :cry:
"Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted. That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history."
- Aldous Huxley

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing has happened."
-Winston Churchill

“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one!”
–Charles Mackay

"It doesn't matter how smart you are - if you don't stop and think."
-Thomas Sowell

"It's one of the functions of the mainstream news media to fact-check political speech and where there are lies, to reveal them to the voters."
-John F. (of CMG)

rwetmore
Posts: 3042
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:24 pm

Re: Revealing Trump interview...

Post by rwetmore » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:23 am

BTW, I think Trump is gaining traction because he doesn't talk like a politician and never gives scripted responses to questions. Who and how he is -- is exactly the same whether he's on camera or off camera, where as virtually all other politicians are engaging in persona theatrics when on camera during interviews (and everyone knows it and picks up on it). The candidates and the media are taken aback by this and don't know how to deal with it or him. Even if people don't necessarily agree with or like what he says or how he says it, it's refreshing to hear someone talk so bluntly without any fear as to what people may think. Whether it will carry him through to the nomination remains to be seen. I do predict if he somehow wins the nomination that he will win the Presidency, because I could easily see him getting most of the independent vote. I'm not saying I would necessarily vote for him, but I do think he would win. If Bush gets the nomination, I predict he'll lose almost for sure.
"Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted. That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history."
- Aldous Huxley

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing has happened."
-Winston Churchill

“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one!”
–Charles Mackay

"It doesn't matter how smart you are - if you don't stop and think."
-Thomas Sowell

"It's one of the functions of the mainstream news media to fact-check political speech and where there are lies, to reveal them to the voters."
-John F. (of CMG)

piston
Posts: 10767
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:50 am

Re: Revealing Trump interview...

Post by piston » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:37 am

In this week's NPR "Week in Politics":
SIEGEL: OK, I want to save some time for one other question - so much for Iran. Huffington Post today announced that it's no longer going to write about Donald Trump in its political coverage. It's going to consign him to the entertainment section. It says if you're interested in what the Donald has to say, you'll find it next to our stories on the Kardashians and "The Bachelorette." This is the man who's polling on top in a Fox poll, David. He's the number-one Republican candidate for president. Should he be taken seriously?

BROOKS: No, but if you put him next to Kardashians, it vastly increases his readership because that's what people are actually reading about. You know, he is - he's a joke. He's embarrassing for the Republican Party. The only good thing that's come out of this is that at least some Republicans like Jeb Bush and Marco Rubio have had the courage to define themselves against him and stand up for them. Others, like Ted Cruz, frankly, have disgracefully sort of sidled alongside. And so, at least some Republicans are standing up to a guy who, fundamentally, is a joke.

DIONNE: He's a joke who could get a lot of votes. And since we're talking about an outer space candidacy, I just want to want to salute NASA and all cool stuff we're learning about Pluto.

SIEGEL: Congratulations on working that into these conversations.

DIONNE: I had to try (laughter).

SIEGEL: E.J. Dionne of The Washington Post, David Brooks of the New York Times in Dallas today, thanks for talking with us.
Not many knowledgeable and experienced political commentators, Republican or Democrat, take the guy seriously. You are strangely fascinated by "a guy who, fundamentally, is a joke."
In the eyes of those lovers of perfection, a work is never finished—a word that for them has no sense—but abandoned....(Paul Valéry)

rwetmore
Posts: 3042
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:24 pm

Re: Revealing Trump interview...

Post by rwetmore » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:38 am

piston wrote:Not many knowledgeable and experienced political commentators, Republican or Democrat, take the guy seriously.
I'm well aware of this.
piston wrote:You are strangely fascinated by "a guy who, fundamentally, is a joke."
I actually do think he's funny. I can barely watch an interview of his without laughing out loud.
"Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted. That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history."
- Aldous Huxley

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing has happened."
-Winston Churchill

“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one!”
–Charles Mackay

"It doesn't matter how smart you are - if you don't stop and think."
-Thomas Sowell

"It's one of the functions of the mainstream news media to fact-check political speech and where there are lies, to reveal them to the voters."
-John F. (of CMG)

rwetmore
Posts: 3042
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:24 pm

Re: Revealing Trump interview...

Post by rwetmore » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:40 am

I actually do think he's kind of joke, LOL, but that doesn't mean he can't win or there is no real substance behind his appeal. He's just such an incredible piece of work...the guy really cracks me up.
"Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted. That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history."
- Aldous Huxley

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing has happened."
-Winston Churchill

“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one!”
–Charles Mackay

"It doesn't matter how smart you are - if you don't stop and think."
-Thomas Sowell

"It's one of the functions of the mainstream news media to fact-check political speech and where there are lies, to reveal them to the voters."
-John F. (of CMG)

rwetmore
Posts: 3042
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:24 pm

Re: Revealing Trump interview...

Post by rwetmore » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:24 am

In defense of Trump's stance on immigration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeftG9XcUl8
"Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted. That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history."
- Aldous Huxley

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing has happened."
-Winston Churchill

“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one!”
–Charles Mackay

"It doesn't matter how smart you are - if you don't stop and think."
-Thomas Sowell

"It's one of the functions of the mainstream news media to fact-check political speech and where there are lies, to reveal them to the voters."
-John F. (of CMG)

lennygoran
Posts: 13974
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: new york city

Re: Revealing Trump interview...

Post by lennygoran » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:09 am

rwetmore wrote:Even if people don't necessarily agree with or like what he says or how he says it, it's refreshing to hear someone talk so bluntly without any fear as to what people may think.
Christie will make mince meat of him! Regards, Len :lol: :lol: :lol:

John F
Posts: 19858
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:41 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Revealing Trump interview...

Post by John F » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:25 am

Go to any bar and you'll hear lots of people talking bluntly without any fear as to what people may think, especially after about 11pm. It's what people say, not how they say it, that really matters - especially those people who claim they should be president of the United States.
John Francis

rwetmore
Posts: 3042
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:24 pm

Re: Revealing Trump interview...

Post by rwetmore » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:04 am

John F wrote:Go to any bar and you'll hear lots of people talking bluntly without any fear as to what people may think, especially after about 11pm.
Exactly. Trump pulls no punches and doesn't filter what he says for political correctness or for political persona theater. What you see from him is who and how he really is and what he really thinks. He's just unbelievably fearless. I've never seen anything quite like it in the realm of politics. Will it work? I don't know, but I think his opponents are frightened by it and really don't know how to deal with it. It's so foreign to what they are used to.
Last edited by rwetmore on Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted. That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history."
- Aldous Huxley

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing has happened."
-Winston Churchill

“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one!”
–Charles Mackay

"It doesn't matter how smart you are - if you don't stop and think."
-Thomas Sowell

"It's one of the functions of the mainstream news media to fact-check political speech and where there are lies, to reveal them to the voters."
-John F. (of CMG)

rwetmore
Posts: 3042
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:24 pm

Re: Revealing Trump interview...

Post by rwetmore » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:07 am

lennygoran wrote:
rwetmore wrote:Even if people don't necessarily agree with or like what he says or how he says it, it's refreshing to hear someone talk so bluntly without any fear as to what people may think.
Christie will make mince meat of him!
I think Christie's chances are slim to none. Neither conservatives nor independents seem to like him very much. I liked him too at first, but he's shown himself to be too much of typical pandering politician.
"Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted. That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history."
- Aldous Huxley

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing has happened."
-Winston Churchill

“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one!”
–Charles Mackay

"It doesn't matter how smart you are - if you don't stop and think."
-Thomas Sowell

"It's one of the functions of the mainstream news media to fact-check political speech and where there are lies, to reveal them to the voters."
-John F. (of CMG)

rwetmore
Posts: 3042
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:24 pm

Re: Revealing Trump interview...

Post by rwetmore » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:12 am

BTW, O'reilly has the immigration issue surrounding Trump spot on. That clip nails it, and I'm not a big O'reilly fan.
"Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted. That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history."
- Aldous Huxley

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing has happened."
-Winston Churchill

“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one!”
–Charles Mackay

"It doesn't matter how smart you are - if you don't stop and think."
-Thomas Sowell

"It's one of the functions of the mainstream news media to fact-check political speech and where there are lies, to reveal them to the voters."
-John F. (of CMG)

lennygoran
Posts: 13974
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: new york city

Re: Revealing Trump interview...

Post by lennygoran » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:23 am

rwetmore wrote: I think Christie's chances are slim to none.
Oh so do I-I'm just talking about on the debate floor-I hope Trump after he's ousted by the Republicans decides to pull a Ross Perot! Regards, Len :lol:

rwetmore
Posts: 3042
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:24 pm

Re: Revealing Trump interview...

Post by rwetmore » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:27 am

lennygoran wrote:Oh so do I-I'm just talking about on the debate floor-I hope Trump after he's ousted by the Republicans decides to pull a Ross Perot! Regards, Len :lol:
I doubt he'll do that.
"Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted. That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history."
- Aldous Huxley

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing has happened."
-Winston Churchill

“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one!”
–Charles Mackay

"It doesn't matter how smart you are - if you don't stop and think."
-Thomas Sowell

"It's one of the functions of the mainstream news media to fact-check political speech and where there are lies, to reveal them to the voters."
-John F. (of CMG)

piston
Posts: 10767
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:50 am

Re: Revealing Trump interview...

Post by piston » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:36 pm

Well, his comment on Senator McCain's dubious record of war heroism, because he was captured, didn't crack me up a bit. There's a point where a "joke" becomes completely idiotic and Trump is no stranger to idiotic comments such as his recent one about McCain.

Perhaps where spending too much time writing and reading about an insensitive, very poorly informed, regularly controversial idiot. The Republican presidential field is very full and Trump's apparent success in the polls reveals little more than the national equivalent of a sensationalist paleoconservative from Austin, Texas, who is inciting his followers to interfere against US military operations in the area. Even idiots can find a large crowd.
In the eyes of those lovers of perfection, a work is never finished—a word that for them has no sense—but abandoned....(Paul Valéry)

lennygoran
Posts: 13974
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: new york city

Re: Revealing Trump interview...

Post by lennygoran » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:11 pm

piston wrote:Well, his comment on Senator McCain's dubious record of war heroism, because he was captured, didn't crack me up a bit.
Was it meant as a joke? Whatever meant as it was a disgrace! Regards, Len :(

piston
Posts: 10767
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:50 am

Re: Revealing Trump interview...

Post by piston » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:35 pm

With Trump, expect a constant flow of inflammatory remarks such as this one about McCain, from one of his tweets:
In addition to doing a lousy job in taking care of our Vets, John McCain let us down by losing to Barack Obama in his run for President!
Everything he says about our current political figures is one hundred percent negative. Like a true hard-core populist, he's feeding on these negative comments to gain in popularity.

I think he feels entitled, as a successful money-maker (there's a big distinction between an economist and a big money maker which is why I made a distinction elsewhere between micro-economics and macro-economics) to voice everything freely, including his own prejudices, and to condemn everybody freely. How this individual could ever work with anyone in D.C. is beyond me! I guess if he were elected it would have to be a one-man show.
In the eyes of those lovers of perfection, a work is never finished—a word that for them has no sense—but abandoned....(Paul Valéry)

rwetmore
Posts: 3042
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:24 pm

Re: Revealing Trump interview...

Post by rwetmore » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:19 am

piston wrote:Well, his comment on Senator McCain's dubious record of war heroism, because he was captured, didn't crack me up a bit. There's a point where a "joke" becomes completely idiotic and Trump is no stranger to idiotic comments such as his recent one about McCain.
Where is that? I'd like to see the whole quote or the whole clip.
"Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted. That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history."
- Aldous Huxley

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing has happened."
-Winston Churchill

“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one!”
–Charles Mackay

"It doesn't matter how smart you are - if you don't stop and think."
-Thomas Sowell

"It's one of the functions of the mainstream news media to fact-check political speech and where there are lies, to reveal them to the voters."
-John F. (of CMG)

lennygoran
Posts: 13974
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: new york city

Re: Revealing Trump interview...

Post by lennygoran » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:24 am

rwetmore wrote:
Where is that? I'd like to see the whole quote or the whole clip.
His disgraceful comments are here:

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/republi ... n-32543626 Regards, Len

rwetmore
Posts: 3042
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:24 pm

Re: Revealing Trump interview...

Post by rwetmore » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:25 am

piston wrote:Everything he says about our current political figures is one hundred percent negative. Like a true hard-core populist, he's feeding on these negative comments to gain in popularity.
Not anywhere near 100%, but quite often -- yes, because most people's sentiment is genuinely just that. Very negative in general towards politicians of both parties.
piston wrote:I think he feels entitled, as a successful money-maker (there's a big distinction between an economist and a big money maker which is why I made a distinction elsewhere between micro-economics and macro-economics) to voice everything freely, including his own prejudices, and to condemn everybody freely. How this individual could ever work with anyone in D.C. is beyond me! I guess if he were elected it would have to be a one-man show.
Oh, I think he could work with them quite well. In business you have to learn to work with all kinds of different people if you expect to make a successful deal or partnership. I may be worried about some things if Trump were president, but that wouldn't be one of them.
"Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted. That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history."
- Aldous Huxley

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing has happened."
-Winston Churchill

“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one!”
–Charles Mackay

"It doesn't matter how smart you are - if you don't stop and think."
-Thomas Sowell

"It's one of the functions of the mainstream news media to fact-check political speech and where there are lies, to reveal them to the voters."
-John F. (of CMG)

rwetmore
Posts: 3042
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:24 pm

Re: Revealing Trump interview...

Post by rwetmore » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:38 am

lennygoran wrote:
rwetmore wrote:
Where is that? I'd like to see the whole quote or the whole clip.
His disgraceful comments are here:

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/republi ... n-32543626 Regards, Len
That's not the whole clip, BTW, and illustrates why I never trust the MSM's reporting.

Here is a much longer version:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/07 ... sidential/

It's an incredibly bold and off the cuff thing to say. He does say 'he may be war hero'. He obviously doesn't like McCain and was speaking negatively about him before he made these comments. Maybe this will be the equivalent of Howard Dean's scream that effectively ousted him from the race in 2004. We'll have to see how this affects the polls.
"Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted. That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history."
- Aldous Huxley

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing has happened."
-Winston Churchill

“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one!”
–Charles Mackay

"It doesn't matter how smart you are - if you don't stop and think."
-Thomas Sowell

"It's one of the functions of the mainstream news media to fact-check political speech and where there are lies, to reveal them to the voters."
-John F. (of CMG)

lennygoran
Posts: 13974
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: new york city

Re: Revealing Trump interview...

Post by lennygoran » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:45 am

rwetmore wrote:
Here is a much longer version:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/07 ... sidential/
It seems both you and Trump never give ground-my clip and yours show the exact same amount of time with Trump speaking-unfortunately you seem to be two of a kind. Regards, Len :(

rwetmore
Posts: 3042
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:24 pm

Re: Revealing Trump interview...

Post by rwetmore » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:50 am

"Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted. That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history."
- Aldous Huxley

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing has happened."
-Winston Churchill

“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one!”
–Charles Mackay

"It doesn't matter how smart you are - if you don't stop and think."
-Thomas Sowell

"It's one of the functions of the mainstream news media to fact-check political speech and where there are lies, to reveal them to the voters."
-John F. (of CMG)

lennygoran
Posts: 13974
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: new york city

Re: Revealing Trump interview...

Post by lennygoran » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:03 am

rwetmore wrote:Here's the entire clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k1ajHAeXMU
I'm not sure he helped himself with the whole clip-some of it is almost as bad as the McCain stuff. So do you think he should apologize for the McCain comment. Would you say McCain is a war hero and if not why not. Regards, Len

rwetmore
Posts: 3042
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:24 pm

Re: Revealing Trump interview...

Post by rwetmore » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:06 am

Here is the whole interview, which should be watch for full context:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI_Y8l3U8mo

This comment below in response to the whole interview echoes my reason for his appeal:

"Gotta love how Trump tells it like it is. You never get the impression that he's lying or hiding something like you do with Obama and other politicians. He's under a bigger microscope than any other person I have ever seen, including Obama. CNN, FOX, MSNBC spend so much time twisting his words and being intellectually dishonest about what he says that I'm starting to believe they are terrified of him. It's incredible."

I think they're genuinely scared too. They don't know how to deal with him on the issues he brings up, so they're trying to go after his character. He's just unflinchingly fearless. It's unreal. No other politician ever talks anywhere near like he does.
"Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted. That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history."
- Aldous Huxley

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing has happened."
-Winston Churchill

“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one!”
–Charles Mackay

"It doesn't matter how smart you are - if you don't stop and think."
-Thomas Sowell

"It's one of the functions of the mainstream news media to fact-check political speech and where there are lies, to reveal them to the voters."
-John F. (of CMG)

lennygoran
Posts: 13974
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: new york city

Re: Revealing Trump interview...

Post by lennygoran » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:14 am

rwetmore wrote: Gotta love how Trump tells it like it is.
Not me--he's not telling how it is. But what's your answer to the questions on McCain-should he apologize and is McCain a war hero? Regards, Len

rwetmore
Posts: 3042
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:24 pm

Re: Revealing Trump interview...

Post by rwetmore » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:15 am

lennygoran wrote:I'm not sure he helped himself with the whole clip-some of it is almost as bad as the McCain stuff. So do you think he should apologize for the McCain comment.
No, definitely not. This is the kind of meaningless nonsense people hate about political discourse, as it just diverts attention away from real, substantive issues. Whether he apologizes or not (or feels he should apologize or not) is meaningless to anyone's lives or the future of the country. The whole notion of whether he should apologize or not is stupid and pointless as far as I'm concerned.
lennygoran wrote:Would you say McCain is a war hero
I would say he is, yes. Do I care that Trump may possibly think he's not? No.
Last edited by rwetmore on Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted. That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history."
- Aldous Huxley

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing has happened."
-Winston Churchill

“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one!”
–Charles Mackay

"It doesn't matter how smart you are - if you don't stop and think."
-Thomas Sowell

"It's one of the functions of the mainstream news media to fact-check political speech and where there are lies, to reveal them to the voters."
-John F. (of CMG)

rwetmore
Posts: 3042
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:24 pm

Re: Revealing Trump interview...

Post by rwetmore » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:17 am

lennygoran wrote:
rwetmore wrote: Gotta love how Trump tells it like it is.
Not me--he's not telling how it is.
I know not you, but it kind of sums up his appeal whether you agree it's an appeal or not.
"Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted. That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history."
- Aldous Huxley

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing has happened."
-Winston Churchill

“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one!”
–Charles Mackay

"It doesn't matter how smart you are - if you don't stop and think."
-Thomas Sowell

"It's one of the functions of the mainstream news media to fact-check political speech and where there are lies, to reveal them to the voters."
-John F. (of CMG)

lennygoran
Posts: 13974
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: new york city

Re: Revealing Trump interview...

Post by lennygoran » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:38 am

rwetmore wrote: No, definitely not. ..I would say he is, yes. Do I care that Trump may possibly think he's not? No.
Well we agree on one part-McCain being a hero-on the apology we have a big disagreement. Regards, Len

rwetmore
Posts: 3042
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:24 pm

Re: Revealing Trump interview...

Post by rwetmore » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:25 am

lennygoran wrote:-on the apology we have a big disagreement. Regards, Len
OK, let's say he were to apologize. You're not going to believe him anyway, right? There's no way to know if he or anyone else means it, thus it's pointless.
"Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted. That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history."
- Aldous Huxley

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing has happened."
-Winston Churchill

“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one!”
–Charles Mackay

"It doesn't matter how smart you are - if you don't stop and think."
-Thomas Sowell

"It's one of the functions of the mainstream news media to fact-check political speech and where there are lies, to reveal them to the voters."
-John F. (of CMG)

John F
Posts: 19858
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:41 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Revealing Trump interview...

Post by John F » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:01 pm

Maybe so, but an apology admitting he was in the wrong would at least show that the man has some sense of decency. He doesn't, so he won't.
John Francis

lennygoran
Posts: 13974
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: new york city

Re: Revealing Trump interview...

Post by lennygoran » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:04 pm

rwetmore wrote:
OK, let's say he were to apologize. You're not going to believe him anyway, right?
Aren't you jumping to conclusions on my part? Regards, Len

rwetmore
Posts: 3042
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:24 pm

Re: Revealing Trump interview...

Post by rwetmore » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:37 pm

"Why I'm Voting for Donald Trump in the 2016 Presidential Election":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmjUAupLgqU

Echoes many of my own points about why Trump is resonating with a lot of people, but I'm not necessarily voting for him.
Last edited by rwetmore on Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted. That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history."
- Aldous Huxley

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing has happened."
-Winston Churchill

“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one!”
–Charles Mackay

"It doesn't matter how smart you are - if you don't stop and think."
-Thomas Sowell

"It's one of the functions of the mainstream news media to fact-check political speech and where there are lies, to reveal them to the voters."
-John F. (of CMG)

rwetmore
Posts: 3042
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:24 pm

Re: Revealing Trump interview...

Post by rwetmore » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:38 pm

lennygoran wrote: Aren't you jumping to conclusions on my part? Regards, Len
Yes, but they are the correct conclusions.
"Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted. That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history."
- Aldous Huxley

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing has happened."
-Winston Churchill

“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one!”
–Charles Mackay

"It doesn't matter how smart you are - if you don't stop and think."
-Thomas Sowell

"It's one of the functions of the mainstream news media to fact-check political speech and where there are lies, to reveal them to the voters."
-John F. (of CMG)

piston
Posts: 10767
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:50 am

Re: Revealing Trump interview...

Post by piston » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:29 pm

rwetmore wrote:"Why I'm Voting for Donald Trump in the 2016 Presidential Election":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmjUAupLgqU

Echoes many of my own points about why Trump is resonating with a lot of people, but I'm not necessarily voting for him.
Yes, you said that already and it's prudent on your part because Trump has the potential to make a real jackass out of himself once he faces his opponents and they pull off their gloves.

Contrary to what you've tried to minimize above, this is truly Mr. Negative and that makes him a target for all, a common enemy. The reason why a few candidates, such as Cruz, have not attacked thus far is because they'd be attacking part of their potential voters in the process, the Tea Party crowd.

There's no ifs and buts about it, it's the very old populist strategy of nobody is qualified but me, no one in Washington, D.C., deserves any credit, they're all talk and no action (check your own video!). And if he makes so many enemies right from the start, how can you say that he'd be able to play ball with the very folks he views as obstructionists?

You really don't make any sense!
In the eyes of those lovers of perfection, a work is never finished—a word that for them has no sense—but abandoned....(Paul Valéry)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 26 guests