The Tweets of a Twit-Muslim Flap

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

The Tweets of a Twit-Muslim Flap

Post by lennygoran » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:23 am

Can you believe this nonsense!

"Trump has largely avoided the press since the flap. He canceled a South Carolina campaign event on Friday, citing business obligations, and chose to forego press gaggles at two events in Iowa on Saturday.

Under fire from critics for the interaction, Trump sent out a series of tweets Saturday, defending why he chose not to correct the supporter.

"Am I morally obligated to defend the president every time somebody says something bad or controversial about him? I don't think so!" Trump wrote.

In another tweet, he said: "If I would have challenged the man, the media would have accused me of interfering with that man's right of free speech. A no win situation!" Regards, Len :(

http://cnnphilippines.com/world/2015/09 ... slims.html

rwetmore

Re: The Tweets of a Twit-Muslim Flap

Post by rwetmore » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:50 am

This was already covered in the other thread. Read or watch the video where Trump himself responds in person to this whole thing and discussed his tweets on it.
"Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted. That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history."
- Aldous Huxley

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing has happened."
-Winston Churchill

“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one!”
–Charles Mackay

"It doesn't matter how smart you are - if you don't stop and think."
-Thomas Sowell

"It's one of the functions of the mainstream news media to fact-check political speech and where there are lies, to reveal them to the voters."
-John F. (of CMG)

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:54 am

rwetmore wrote:This was already covered in the other thread. Read or watch the video where Trump himself responds in person to this whole thing and discussed his tweets on it.
I've seen it all-don't tell me you're actually defending those 2 tweets I quoted? Regards, Len :roll:

rwetmore

Post by rwetmore » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:56 am

lennygoran wrote:
rwetmore wrote:This was already covered in the other thread. Read or watch the video where Trump himself responds in person to this whole thing and discussed his tweets on it.
I've seen it all-don't tell me you're actually defending those 2 tweets I quoted? Regards, Len :roll:
Trump's point was if someone said something outlandish about him to Obama at a rally, do you really think he would come to Trump's aid and defend him? No, of course not.

Frankly, I think Trump gave little thought to the man's comments and just wanted to move on, which he did. Even when the guy started talking, you could read his body language, which was like 'oh boy...I just had to pick this guy among all these people didn't I'.
"Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted. That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history."
- Aldous Huxley

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing has happened."
-Winston Churchill

“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one!”
–Charles Mackay

-Thomas Sowell

"It's one of the functions of the mainstream news media to fact-check political speech and where there are lies, to reveal them to the voters."
-John F. (of CMG)

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:05 am

rwetmore wrote:
Trump's point was if someone said something outlandish about him to Obama at a rally, do you really think he would come to Trump's aid and defend him? No, of course not.
That's where you're wrong-of course he would--you see Obama is one of the most decent presidents we've had in a long time-and let's give McCain who I didn't vote for credit-he took the mike and defended Obama. Of course you're so biased and obsessed with Trump you'll come to his defense on just about anything. Regards, Len :(

rwetmore

Post by rwetmore » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:20 am

lennygoran wrote:That's where you're wrong-of course he would
I highly doubt that.
lennygoran wrote:and let's give McCain who I didn't vote for credit-he took the mike and defended Obama. Of course you're so biased and obsessed with Trump you'll come to his defense on just about anything. Regards, Len :(
I don't fault McCain for what he did, but I do think yanking the mic from the women like that and effectively verbally scolding her as he did was a little too harsh. It could have been handled better and more respectfully to the woman.
- Aldous Huxley

-Winston Churchill

–Charles Mackay

-Thomas Sowell

-John F. (of CMG)

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:25 am

rwetmore wrote:
I highly doubt that.
Exactly what I'd expect you to say-it fits in with your prejudices. Very sad. Len :(

rwetmore

Post by rwetmore » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:37 am

This whole thing reeks of desperation. I mean talk about making a mountain out of a molehill. Yes, I'm siding with Trump on this one.
- Aldous Huxley

-Winston Churchill

–Charles Mackay

-Thomas Sowell

-John F. (of CMG)

Auntie Lynn

Post by Auntie Lynn » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:09 pm

Rumor has it that The Donald will be in the Carolinas this coming week...

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:13 pm

rwetmore wrote:This whole thing reeks of desperation. I mean talk about making a mountain out of a molehill. Yes, I'm siding with Trump on this one.
Wrong again-racism and the inability to apologize for any of his mistakes-now there's more:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/20/politics/ ... ma-muslim/

"He stoked those inaccurate beliefs on NBC's "Meet the Press," when he was asked whether he'd be comfortable with a Muslim president.

"Some people have said it already happened, frankly," Trump responded in a clear reference to Obama. "But of course you won't agree with that." He's just despicable. Regards, Len :(

rwetmore

Post by rwetmore » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:31 pm

lennygoran wrote:
rwetmore wrote:This whole thing reeks of desperation. I mean talk about making a mountain out of a molehill. Yes, I'm siding with Trump on this one.
Wrong again-racism and the inability to apologize for any of his mistakes-now there's more:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/20/politics/ ... ma-muslim/

"He stoked those inaccurate beliefs on NBC's "Meet the Press," when he was asked whether he'd be comfortable with a Muslim president.

"Some people have said it already happened, frankly," Trump responded in a clear reference to Obama. "But of course you won't agree with that." He's just despicable. Regards, Len :(
Len,

You need to watch the whole video or interview. This is an absolutely perfect example of how and why you can't trust the media reporting on Trump -- it's often inaccurate or overtly dishonest. They take little bits and quotes out of context to cast him in negative way (in the way people like you want to hear and believe).

Here is the whole interview where he said those things (only 5 minutes long):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJTFKv8HJeI
- Aldous Huxley

-Winston Churchill

–Charles Mackay

-Thomas Sowell

-John F. (of CMG)

rwetmore

Post by rwetmore » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:01 pm

The only one who is stirring up racism or racist rhetoric is the media reporting of Trump -- not Trump himself. I've watched all the campaign events and countless media interviews. It's all BS and invented by the media and media talking heads. They desperately want it to be true -- it's rather sad, IMO.

If those on your side want to beat Trump, you first have to be intellectually honest about what he is advocating and what he is not advocating -- and make your case against what he is really advocating. If you can't or are unwilling to do this, than it's highly likely most voters are going to see through and figure out the claims of him inciting racism or him being racist are BS and it will backfire. I truly believe the majority of voters are so tired of this kind of BS and nonsense in the world of politics and political media coverage that in the end it will actually help Trump get more votes than he otherwise would.
- Aldous Huxley

-Winston Churchill

–Charles Mackay

-Thomas Sowell

-John F. (of CMG)

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:40 pm

rwetmore wrote:
Len,
You need to watch the whole video or interview.
You use this excuse constantly-enough already! Regards, Len :(

rwetmore

Post by rwetmore » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:55 pm

lennygoran wrote:You use this excuse constantly
Yes, because it so often applies.
- Aldous Huxley

-Winston Churchill

–Charles Mackay

-Thomas Sowell

-John F. (of CMG)

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:02 pm

rwetmore wrote:
lennygoran wrote:You use this excuse constantly
Yes, because it so often applies.
Don't believe you-you just refuse to recognize what's really happening. Regards, Len :(

rwetmore

Post by rwetmore » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:09 pm

lennygoran wrote:Don't believe you-you just refuse to recognize what's really happening
Oh, I don't think so. I really don't. I've watched all of his campaign events and virtually all his media interviews and I know what I saw and heard, and there has been no racism or racist rhetoric from Trump. It's purely a media invention.
- Aldous Huxley

-Winston Churchill

–Charles Mackay

-Thomas Sowell

-John F. (of CMG)

John F

Post by John F » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:16 am

None of this would have arisen if Trump himself hadn't signed on to the lies that President Obama is not an American citizen and is a Muslim, four years ago. If he's ever withdrawn this, even after the President provided the birth certificate he was demanding, I haven't seen it. (No doubt rwetmore will find and quote something relevant here.) All that is why the lummox at the town hall felt encouraged to repeat the false accusations.

Trump now says he's not obligated to defend the President, and he isn't. But it wasn't the President who needed defending, it was Trump himself, for letting those lies he has endorsed to pass unchallenged and in so doing to endorse them again. He still can't bring himself to do it, or even to face the issue; his comments since then have evaded it. I can't guess whether he actually believes that BS, but it's in the nature of Donald Trump that he can never admit he has been wrong.
John Francis

rwetmore

Post by rwetmore » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:50 am

John F wrote:None of this would have arisen if Trump himself hadn't signed on to the lies that President Obama is not an American citizen and is a Muslim, four years ago. If he's ever withdrawn this, even after the President provided the birth certificate he was demanding, I haven't seen it. (No doubt rwetmore will find and quote something relevant here.) All that is why the lummox at the town hall felt encouraged to repeat the false accusations.

Trump now says he's not obligated to defend the President, and he isn't. But it wasn't the President who needed defending, it was Trump himself, for letting those lies he has endorsed to pass unchallenged and in so doing to endorse them again. He still can't bring himself to do it, or even to face the issue; his comments since then have evaded it. I can't guess whether he actually believes that BS, but it's in the nature of Donald Trump that he can never admit he has been wrong.
Trump has said he accepts Obama's word that he's a Christian (I don't myself and think he's likely a closet atheist). As far as the birther thing, Trump didn't start or instigate that. Also, a true lie requires the person to not believe what they're saying, and I don't think that accurately characterizes those behind the birther movement. I think Trump is still genuinely suspicious about it, but doesn't necessarily think Obama was not born a US citizen. Therefore, he's decided not to commit to an answer or position on it either way, which is fine with me. I don't think he stands to gain anything on it either way, so he's decided to abstain from answering it. The issue is moot now anyway since Obama is in his second term and can't run again.
- Aldous Huxley

-Winston Churchill

–Charles Mackay

-Thomas Sowell

-John F. (of CMG)

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:27 am

rwetmore wrote:
(I don't myself and think he's likely a closet atheist).
Gee if that were only true! Regards, Len the Agnostic :lol: :lol: :lol: