More Despicable Trump Behavior

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

John F
Posts: 21076
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:41 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: More Despicable Trump Behavior

Post by John F » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:13 am

rwetmore is floundering, trying to explain away Trump's untruth by suggesting that, well, after all, it was kind of half true. Now he's coming up with misstatements of his own. Sorry, rwetmore, it won't wash. Are you incapable of admitting that (a) Trump was wrong and (b) you are wrong? Because he was and you are.

Earlier rwetmore asked if I had read Mayor Giuliani's statement. I had, but it was irrelevant since Trump's untruth wasn't about New York City but Jersey City. For the record, though, here's what Giuliani has said recently:
Rudolf Giuliani wrote:"We did have some celebrating, that is true," Giuliani told CNN's Alisyn Camerota on CNN's "New Day." "We had pockets of celebration some in Queens, some in Brooklyn -- 10, 12, 30, 40" people." Giuliani recounted hearing about a Muslim-owned candy store where some Muslims were cheering the attacks and were beaten up by children from a neighboring housing development.

This is anecdotal and hearsay, of course. If there were celebrations in Brooklyn I wasn't aware of it, and my apartment then was only two blocks away from a mosque, which I walked past twice daily going to and from work. Which was only to be expected. It would have been extraordinarily stupid for people living within sight of the Trade Center towers to celebrate openly the murder of 3000 of their neighbors at the moment it was happening. But if Giuliani's top estimate is no more than 40 people in all of New York City with its large Islamic population, how can there possibly have been "thousands and thousands" in the rest of the tristate area, whose Muslim demographic is so much smaller? Give it up, rwetmore.
John Francis

rwetmore
Posts: 3042
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:24 pm

Re: More Despicable Trump Behavior

Post by rwetmore » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:38 pm

John F wrote:rwetmore is floundering, trying to explain away Trump's untruth by suggesting that, well, after all, it was kind of half true. Now he's coming up with misstatements of his own. Sorry, rwetmore, it won't wash. Are you incapable of admitting that (a) Trump was wrong and (b) you are wrong? Because he was and you are.
Yes, Trump was wrong (or at least highly likely wrong) that it was thousands and thousands in Jersey City, but that wasn't the reported story. Nor is it the point. The story reported by the media was that Trump's saying there were Muslims celebrating the attacks was made up and totally false, and that no such thing was on record as ever occurring or having been reported anywhere. The story was not "Trump exaggerates how many Muslims were reported to have been seen celebrating the 9/11 attacks". See the difference?
John F wrote:Earlier rwetmore asked if I had read Mayor Giuliani's statement. I had, but it was irrelevant since Trump's untruth wasn't about New York City but Jersey City. For the record, though, here's what Giuliani has said recently:
Rudolf Giuliani wrote:"We did have some celebrating, that is true," Giuliani told CNN's Alisyn Camerota on CNN's "New Day." "We had pockets of celebration some in Queens, some in Brooklyn -- 10, 12, 30, 40" people." Giuliani recounted hearing about a Muslim-owned candy store where some Muslims were cheering the attacks and were beaten up by children from a neighboring housing development.

This is anecdotal and hearsay, of course.
Yes, but he also said he was aware of it being reported seen in Jersey City and other parts of New Jersey if I recall correctly. Watch the whole interview.
John F wrote:If there were celebrations in Brooklyn I wasn't aware of it, and my apartment then was only two blocks away from a mosque, which I walked past twice daily going to and from work. Which was only to be expected. It would have been extraordinarily stupid for people living within sight of the Trade Center towers to celebrate openly the murder of 3000 of their neighbors at the moment it was happening.


Yes, it would be stupid and explain why it quickly ceased by anyone doing it. Those doing it probably realized they were putting their safety in jeopardy by celebrating out in public, and took their celebrating indoors out of site.
John F wrote:But if Giuliani's top estimate is no more than 40 people in all of New York City with its large Islamic population, how can there possibly have been "thousands and thousands" in the rest of the tristate area, whose Muslim demographic is so much smaller? Give it up, rwetmore.
That's just that he knew of specific instances of and were officially reported. I said it *could* easily have been a few thousand throughout the whole tri-state area. There are a lot of Muslims in New Jersey. It certainly could have only been a few hundred or less than a thousand. Without an official investigation of all witness accounts, we'll likely never know the number. Back then, people didn't have cameras on their cell phones like now.
"Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted. That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history."
- Aldous Huxley

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing has happened."
-Winston Churchill

“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one!”
–Charles Mackay

"It doesn't matter how smart you are - if you don't stop and think."
-Thomas Sowell

"It's one of the functions of the mainstream news media to fact-check political speech and where there are lies, to reveal them to the voters."
-John F. (of CMG)

Chalkperson
Disposable Income Specialist
Posts: 17669
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:19 pm
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: More Despicable Trump Behavior

Post by Chalkperson » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:15 pm

Randall, to suggest you are clutching at straws is an understatement.

I repeat my opinion that your non stop posting of dubious stories reflects badly on the board as a whole, you make us look like bunch of right wing nutcases, with Aunty Lynn gone you are the last man standing.
Sent via Twitter by @chalkperson

rwetmore
Posts: 3042
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:24 pm

Re: More Despicable Trump Behavior

Post by rwetmore » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:48 pm

Recent Trump interview on this issue about radical Muslims. He answers a lot of tough questions very frankly. So tell me where he's wrong or out of line, because I don't see it. Seriously tell me. He's just being brutally honest about the reality we're facing out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMYeVasogH4

He even says he has many Muslim friends and they agree with him on the issue, which I don't doubt in the slightest, BTW. Believe me, most Muslims in this country aren't stupid or oblivious to the problem these many radicals pose to the them, their safety and the country's safety.
"Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted. That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history."
- Aldous Huxley

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing has happened."
-Winston Churchill

“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one!”
–Charles Mackay

"It doesn't matter how smart you are - if you don't stop and think."
-Thomas Sowell

"It's one of the functions of the mainstream news media to fact-check political speech and where there are lies, to reveal them to the voters."
-John F. (of CMG)

John F
Posts: 21076
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:41 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: More Despicable Trump Behavior

Post by John F » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:43 am

Chalkie, I'm sure that's not so. Nobody who reads threads in the Corner Pub could fail to see that in CMG, rwetmore is a lone conservative voice crying in the wilderness, surrounded by liberals who constantly rebut him and sometimes insult him. If anything reflects badly on CMG, I'm afraid it's not rwetmore's posts - which I'm sure he believes are true, though he's usually wrong - but some of our uncivil responses to him, including some of yours and mine.
John Francis

Chalkperson
Disposable Income Specialist
Posts: 17669
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:19 pm
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: More Despicable Trump Behavior

Post by Chalkperson » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:17 am

John F wrote:Chalkie, I'm sure that's not so. Nobody who reads threads in the Corner Pub could fail to see that in CMG, rwetmore is a lone conservative voice crying in the wilderness, surrounded by liberals who constantly rebut him and sometimes insult him. If anything reflects badly on CMG, I'm afraid it's not rwetmore's posts - which I'm sure he believes are true, though he's usually wrong - but some of our uncivil responses to him, including some of yours and mine.
I'd be happy if he had a single thread again, it's the volume of his vs others that bothers me, with little action on other Threads due to our small number of participants I think that looks skewed.

Randall happily puts up with insults, he is always calm, but let me assure you that the other classical board(s) do laugh at us frequently.

That's the price we pay for letting Randall ramble.

Besides, President Trump is a worse subject to bore is to death with than even climate change.
Sent via Twitter by @chalkperson

rwetmore
Posts: 3042
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:24 pm

Re: More Despicable Trump Behavior

Post by rwetmore » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:55 am

Look, I know -- this is a liberal dominated board. I provide the (unwanted) balance. I am overtly insulted here all the time, and it's allowed by the moderator, where as if I or another conservative did it, I'd be banned. I'm not complaining -- just pointing it out. It doesn't bother me that I'm outnumbered and not held to the same standard as everyone else, as I can take the heat. I never have a reason to be anything other than civil and calm, because I'm confident the weight of the evidence and logic strongly supports my overall point of view.

Sometimes I post a lot in short spurts, and sometimes I don't post much at all for long periods. I took a 3 year hiatus from following the news and politics, and just took it up recently again. I spent most of that time researching climate science. Lately, I've had to urge to post a lot, though I don't know how long it will continue. If Trump gets the nomination, probably for a while longer. If not, I may not post much for a while.
"Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted. That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history."
- Aldous Huxley

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing has happened."
-Winston Churchill

“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one!”
–Charles Mackay

"It doesn't matter how smart you are - if you don't stop and think."
-Thomas Sowell

"It's one of the functions of the mainstream news media to fact-check political speech and where there are lies, to reveal them to the voters."
-John F. (of CMG)

lennygoran
Posts: 15951
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: new york city

Re: More Despicable Trump Behavior

Post by lennygoran » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:02 am

rwetmore wrote: I took a 3 year hiatus from following the news and politics, and just took it up recently again. I spent most of that time researching climate science. Lately, I've had to urge to post a lot, though I don't know how long that will continue. If Trump gets the nomination, probably for a while longer. If not, I may not post much for a while.
That time off cost you plenty-the wrong conclusions on climate change and way behind on politics! Regards, Len

PS-still you're a good natured guy and a fellow NJite! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PPS-Your conditions for continuing to post--that is only if Trump wins-seems like sore losing?

rwetmore
Posts: 3042
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:24 pm

Re: More Despicable Trump Behavior

Post by rwetmore » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:06 am

John F wrote:Chalkie, I'm sure that's not so. Nobody who reads threads in the Corner Pub could fail to see that in CMG, rwetmore is a lone conservative voice crying in the wilderness,
I'm only the lone conservative because all the others left years ago. There were quite a few at one point. When Barry Z in particular left, that was a sign of where things were headed here.
John F wrote:surrounded by liberals who constantly rebut him and sometimes insult him. If anything reflects badly on CMG, I'm afraid it's not rwetmore's posts - which I'm sure he believes are true,.....but some of our uncivil responses to him, including some of yours and mine.
I rarely (if ever) find your responses to me uncivil or insulting. In fact, of all the liberal contributors, I admire your contributions the most. You stick to your guns, don't back down, and don't complain about my presence. Your responses are often witty, thoughtful and substantive. Others would be wise to follow your model.
"Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted. That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history."
- Aldous Huxley

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing has happened."
-Winston Churchill

“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one!”
–Charles Mackay

"It doesn't matter how smart you are - if you don't stop and think."
-Thomas Sowell

"It's one of the functions of the mainstream news media to fact-check political speech and where there are lies, to reveal them to the voters."
-John F. (of CMG)

rwetmore
Posts: 3042
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:24 pm

Re: More Despicable Trump Behavior

Post by rwetmore » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:09 am

lennygoran wrote:PPS-Your conditions for continuing to post--that is only if Trump wins-seems like sore losing?
No, I will not be a sore loser if Trump loses the nomination, which he certainly may. I'm not predicting he's going to win it. Now, I think he has a real shot, but I really don't know what's going to happen.
"Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted. That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history."
- Aldous Huxley

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing has happened."
-Winston Churchill

“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one!”
–Charles Mackay

"It doesn't matter how smart you are - if you don't stop and think."
-Thomas Sowell

"It's one of the functions of the mainstream news media to fact-check political speech and where there are lies, to reveal them to the voters."
-John F. (of CMG)

lennygoran
Posts: 15951
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: new york city

Re: More Despicable Trump Behavior

Post by lennygoran » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:16 am

rwetmore wrote:Now, I think he has a real shot, but I really don't know what's going to happen.
It's been such a strange political year-we should know more after Iowa and of course my TV will be on for the Dec debate! Regards, Len :)

Chalkperson
Disposable Income Specialist
Posts: 17669
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:19 pm
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: More Despicable Trump Behavior

Post by Chalkperson » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:13 am

rwetmore wrote:Look, I know -- this is a liberal dominated board. I provide the (unwanted) balance. I am overtly insulted here all the time, and it's allowed by the moderator, where as if I or another conservative did it, I'd be banned. I'm not complaining -- just pointing it out. It doesn't bother me that I'm outnumbered and not held to the same standard as everyone else, as I can take the heat. I never have a reason to be anything other than civil and calm, because I'm confident the weight of the evidence and logic strongly supports my overall point of view
I can assure you that nobody has treated you anything like the way the Right Wingers treated other posters here, and I read every post, have done for many years, I spent half my time trying to tone down the rhetoric from your friends. It was a hapless task, one by one they went over the top and Lance was asked to make a decision. He made the right ones.

I operate by Corlyss's rules. Look how far Aunty Lynn was allowed to go before she was banned, no body comes close to Saul Chanukah for vile personal insults. Part of his ultimate demise was calling another poster (Brendan) a 'Cockroach' and luckily for everyone Brendan fell on his sword to rid us of Saul and his foul mouth.

To get banned you have to cause a lot of trouble here, nobody has done that to you. You may suffer at the hands of the Liberals, but we suffered at the hands of the Right Wingers.

On my very first post in the Pub I was slammed to the ground in such a violent manner I thought I should quit. I complained and the Moderator told me there was nothing wrong in slamming me. Right, Corlyss slammed me, and refused to even think about my complaint.

Lance tells people to wear 'Steel Underpsnts' if you want to chat in here.

I ridicule you, that's very true, but I feel you insult our intelligence a lot of the time and rightfully deserve all you get.

also...

My comments were personal. They are not from a Moderator, or Management. They are my personal viewpoint on your posts.

If you want to make my day, start a Trump Thread, put all the garbage about him in one place.

He has America by the balls, because he is a bully, and a lying odious thug.

I truly hope that when Hilary or who ever takes out the attack ads next year Americans will see that whilst the President pardons a Turkey at Thanksgiving, we don't need a turkey for a President.
Sent via Twitter by @chalkperson

karlhenning
Composer-in-Residence
Posts: 9816
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:12 am
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: More Despicable Trump Behavior

Post by karlhenning » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:37 am

lennygoran wrote:PPS-Your conditions for continuing to post--that is only if Trump wins-seems like sore losing?
Like his idol, he'll stick around if [El Tupé] feels he is "treated fair" ; )

Cheers,
~k.
Karl Henning, PhD
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston, Massachusetts
http://members.tripod.com/~Karl_P_Henning/
http://henningmusick.blogspot.com/
Published by Lux Nova Press
http://www.luxnova.com/

rwetmore
Posts: 3042
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:24 pm

Re: More Despicable Trump Behavior

Post by rwetmore » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:48 am

Chalkperson wrote:I ridicule you, that's very true, but I feel you insult our intelligence a lot of the time and rightfully deserve all you get
I virtually never directly insult anyone. I simply point out very cleverly that those you support and vote for are insulting you and your intelligence. Like on a regular ongoing basis. They do the insulting of you, and I just point it out.
Last edited by rwetmore on Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted. That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history."
- Aldous Huxley

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing has happened."
-Winston Churchill

“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one!”
–Charles Mackay

"It doesn't matter how smart you are - if you don't stop and think."
-Thomas Sowell

"It's one of the functions of the mainstream news media to fact-check political speech and where there are lies, to reveal them to the voters."
-John F. (of CMG)

karlhenning
Composer-in-Residence
Posts: 9816
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:12 am
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: More Despicable Trump Behavior

Post by karlhenning » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:12 pm

Why the despicable behavior?

Frank Bruni wrote:. . . he’s just an addict whose drug of choice is attention . . . .

RTWT here.

Cheers,
~k.
Karl Henning, PhD
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston, Massachusetts
http://members.tripod.com/~Karl_P_Henning/
http://henningmusick.blogspot.com/
Published by Lux Nova Press
http://www.luxnova.com/

Chalkperson
Disposable Income Specialist
Posts: 17669
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:19 pm
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: More Despicable Trump Behavior

Post by Chalkperson » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:54 am

rwetmore wrote:
Chalkperson wrote:I ridicule you, that's very true, but I feel you insult our intelligence a lot of the time and rightfully deserve all you get
I virtually never directly insult anyone. I simply point out very cleverly that those you support and vote for are insulting you and your intelligence. Like on a regular ongoing basis. They do the insulting of you, and I just point it out.
Read my lips!

I said you insult our intelligence.

If you think the stuff you post is clever, or that you are clever for posting it, then we need a new dictionary definition for the word.

As far as I can remember you always remain civil. For that you have my gratitude and utmost respect.
Sent via Twitter by @chalkperson

rwetmore
Posts: 3042
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:24 pm

Re: More Despicable Trump Behavior

Post by rwetmore » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:05 pm

Chalkperson wrote:I said you insult our intelligence.
I know, but I don't do it directly -- only indirectly. That's a key difference.
Chalkperson wrote:As far as I can remember you always remain civil. For that you have my gratitude and utmost respect.
One who has the weight of the logic and evidence on their side need never be uncivil. :wink:
"Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted. That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history."
- Aldous Huxley

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing has happened."
-Winston Churchill

“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one!”
–Charles Mackay

"It doesn't matter how smart you are - if you don't stop and think."
-Thomas Sowell

"It's one of the functions of the mainstream news media to fact-check political speech and where there are lies, to reveal them to the voters."
-John F. (of CMG)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 73 guests