NCAA Brackets Contest

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

slofstra

NCAA Brackets Contest

Post by slofstra » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:49 am

I'm running another NCAA brackets contest this year. Admission is free and there are prizes. I know that college basketball is the spectator sport of choice for classical music fans so that's why I'm letting you know about this.

www.slofstra.net/ncaa

John F

Re: NCAA Brackets Contest

Post by John F » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:39 am

slofstra wrote:I know that college basketball is the spectator sport of choice for classical music fans...
Where did you get that idea? Over here, those CM fans I know who care about sports at all are mostly baseball fans, and the only sport I follow is top-flight soccer/football in the Barclays Premier League.
John Francis

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:42 pm

John F wrote:
slofstra wrote:I know that college basketball is the spectator sport of choice for classical music fans...
Where did you get that idea? Over here, those CM fans I know who care about sports at all are mostly baseball fans, and the only sport I follow is top-flight soccer/football in the Barclays Premier League.
I'm an Arsenal fan. Do you think Leicester City will end up winning the league this year?

Modernistfan

Post by Modernistfan » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:10 pm

Normally, I root for the Ivy League team, as the Ivy League, which does not give out athletic scholarships, is generally free of the corruption that permeates college sports.

Not this year.

As anyone who has been following the news knows, the captain of the Yale basketball team was expelled from Yale for sexual assault. His teammates rallied around him without any consideration of what the victim of the sexual assault, or of other sexual assaults, has gone through. Feminists and their supporters at Yale protested, to no avail. Yale should have had the decency to decline any NCAA bid and not participate in any postseason tournaments. They failed to do so.

The linkage between athletics and rape culture, and the tendency of university administrations to overlook it, are well known, especially when overprivileged white athletes are involved. What makes this case somewhat unusual is that the sport involved is basketball and not one of the preppie-heavy sports such as lacrosse, swimming, crew, tennis, or golf.

I hope Yale loses their first-round game against Baylor by 60 points.

John F

Post by John F » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:26 pm

What makes the case really unusual, at least for me, is that it's Yale. I'd expect better from such a university.
John Francis

Modernistfan

Post by Modernistfan » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:44 pm

My point exactly. They should have declined the bid.

John F

Post by John F » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:41 pm

I'm not sure of that. If there was only one rotten apple in that barrel, and he was expelled from the university, and the NCAA invited the team in full knowledge of all this, then it might be a toss-up (sorry!) whether to punish the rest of the players, the coach, and the staff as well. For me it would depend on what "rallied around" amounted to, specifically. If they knew what he'd done and condoned it, then sure, the university should make an example of them.
John Francis