Time Warner Cable -> Spectrum

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

John F

Time Warner Cable -> Spectrum

Post by John F » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:40 am

In the last few days I've been seeing commercials on Time Warner Cable saying that it's now called Spectrum. Behind the name change, TWC has been acquired by Charter Communications, as of May 18. This includes cable TV, Internet service, and VoIP phone service. This from Bloomberg News tells more:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... gned-brand

As of now, there's no perceptible difference, but Spectrum's commercials say there will be more HD television and higher speed Internet access. I don't care about that, but the company's customer service could use some improvement. I don't mean tech support by phone, which I've had no problem with. I mean keeping their Internet service and cable TV online. Too often I haven't been able to connect to TWC's broadband service, at any time of the day or night, and that can last for minutes or hours. Sometimes, though much less often, there's no TV as well. TWC never provides an explanation for any outage or for all of them. If Charter/Spectrum really want to improve their product, this should go to the top of the list. But according to the Bloomberg story, customer satisfaction with Charter's Internet service has been even worse than TWC's. :evil:
John Francis

John F

Re: Time Warner Cable -> Spectrum

Post by John F » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:18 am

Last year I said there was no perceptible difference between Time Warner Cable and Spectrum, the brand name imposed by its new owners, Charter Communications, despite the plethora of ads claiming that there is. Well, now one difference has become perceptible. The channel devoted to New York City, NY1, is being shrunk, with locally popular programming and long-time employees being cut. Thanks loads, Charter. By the way, I still haven't seen any improvement in the service or any reduction in the price.

Weather on the 1s? Stormy, as Familiar Faces Depart From NY1
By ELI ROSENBERG
MARCH 30, 2017

For many New Yorkers, the cable news channel NY1 has been a steady, scrappy and sometimes quirky companion for a quarter century with its no-nonsense coverage of exclusively local news and issues, 24 hours a day. Its on-air announcers, many of whom stayed with the channel for years, would become familiar fixtures, even minor New York celebrities, by occasionally appearing as themselves in Hollywood blockbusters.

NY1 has weathered its share of changes in the broadcast and media industries through the years, the most prominent when a new parent company, Charter Communications, acquired Time Warner Cable in a merger last year.

But change landed hard on NY1 and its viewers this week, in the form of layoffs for about a dozen employees, part of a shift in direction that employees said has been underway since Charter took over in May 2016.

Many of the victims were recognizable and beloved on-air figures: Shelley Goldberg, the station’s parenting correspondent; Neil Rosen, the entertainment critic with the Big Apple-based rating system; and a travel correspondent, Valarie D’Elia, among others. The cuts — which also included some of the news channel’s programming — did not appear to involve anyone from the station’s hard news operation.

“It’s almost like a second New York family: the people I relied on to get through the day,” said Darice Moyre, shaking her head, in a coffee shop in Astoria, Queens. She said she was familiar with many of the people who had been let go. “To me it just looked as if they wanted to put their efforts elsewhere,” said Ms. D’Elia, who said she was not surprised by the changes. Still, she said, it remains to be seen what will happen when “a lot of these people who people loved aren’t on the air.”

Whereas the quirky station, with programs like “The Call,” where any New Yorker could call with a gripe, had operated with the understanding that its value was derived not from ratings or advertising dollars, but from the benefit it offered in keeping local cable subscribers, the station’s new managers came in with different ideas, employees said. “The Call” is soon to be canceled.

At an all-hands meeting after the merger in December, employees were told that Charter’s news channels were going to have to start making money, employees said. “They said that these news products lose money and our mission is to stop that from happening,” said one, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly about the company...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/30/nyre ... yoffs.html
John Francis