Trump Win Triggers Cornell Cry-In, Play-Doh Sessions

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

jserraglio

Trump Win Triggers Cornell Cry-In, Play-Doh Sessions

Post by jserraglio » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:40 am

The Wall Street Journal
Nov 9, 2016 6:39 pm ET

Colleges Try to Comfort Students Upset by Trump Victory
Despair over Clinton's loss prompts ‘cry-in’ at Cornell; Play-Doh for the distraught

By MELISSA KORN AND DOUGLAS BELKIN

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2016/11/0 ... p-victory/

Dozens of students at Cornell University gathered on a major campus thoroughfare for a “cry-in” to mourn the results of the 2016 presidential election Wednesday, with school staff providing tissues and hot chocolate.

At Tufts University, arts and crafts were on offer. And the University of Kansas reminded students via social media of the therapy dogs available for comfort every other Wednesday.

Colleges nationwide scrambled to help students process Republican Donald Trump’s stunning election victory. They’re acknowledging that many students were up late watching results and so may not be at their sharpest in early-morning lectures. More so, they’re responding to a widespread sense of shock and despair on campuses to the victory of a candidate who offended Mexicans, Gold Star mothers, Muslims and the disabled during the course of the campaign.

The touchy-feely approach won some catty comments from skeptics, calling students “snow-flakes” for their inability to handle the result. But schools said the concerns were real for many students. “People are frustrated, people are just really sad and shocked,” said Trey Boynton, the director of multi-ethnic student affairs at the University of Michigan. “A lot of people are feeling like there has been a loss. We talked about grief today and about the loss of hope that this election would solidify the progress that was being made.”

There was a steady flow of students entering Ms. Boynton’s office Wednesday. They spent the day sprawled around the center, playing with Play-Doh and coloring in coloring books, as they sought comfort and distraction.

“There is unspeakable shock at the manifestation of hate and bigotry that is on par with how people felt when Orlando happened, when Charleston happened,” she said. “This feels different from those events, but there is the same sort of heaviness today on campus today. Everyone is very quiet. It looks like grief.”

There were also celebrations on campuses by supporters of Mr. Trump. Ben Kaplan, head of Tufts Democrats, said that as some supporters of Hillary Clinton cried, portions of a campus center erupted in cheers as each state was called for Mr. Trump Tuesday night.

Alex Walker, son of Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker and chairman of the College Republicans of University of Wisconsin-Madison, which endorsed Mr. Trump, said that despite early shock, students “seemed to have accepted the results and were getting back to their normal routines.” The school tweeted around midday that the multicultural student center’s lounge was open all day for drop-ins, noting “all are welcome.”The MSC Lounge in the Red Gym is open all day today for drop-ins. All are welcome.Mr. Walker said concerns about Mr. Trump’s heated rhetoric on immigration and other issues were “overblown,” adding that the president-elect’s acceptance speech had “a very calm and unifying message.”

Still, Alan Peel, an astronomy lecturer at the University of Maryland canceled a test scheduled for Wednesday morning, writing to students that he worried some of their performances may be affected by “the monumental effort necessary to accept what must be a personally threatening election result.” He opened the message, “Given that the nation in which you currently reside decided last night to elect a president whose own words have painted him a moral and possibly physical hazard to many of us…,” according to a copy reviewed by The Wall Street Journal.

Julia Abraham, a 19-year-old student in the class, said she was relieved by the news and supported her professor’s decision. “Our class is very diverse,” she said, including “many who are directly targeted by Mr. Trump.” She said she thought “a bit of grieving time” would allow students to perform better on the test down the line.

Morgan Polikoff, a professor at the University of Southern California Rossier School of Education, also canceled his Wednesday class. He told the 11 students in his Ph.D. statistics course on election night that they didn’t have to come if they didn’t want to; by the time he woke up, six said they weren’t up for meeting.

Hofstra University’s Intercultural Engagement and Inclusion office hosted a session Wednesday called “A Way Forward: A Discussion on the 2016 Presidential Election.” The event advertisement on Twitter said it would allow “diverse voices of the campus community” to discuss the election and “how we move forward together with civility, as a nation and Hofstra community.”

The university—which hosted the first Presidential debate this election cycle—aimed to keep that event and a facilitated discussion later in the day led by the school’s dean of students and assistant vice president Sofia Pertuz open to students of all political stripes.

“The students that seem to be calling out for our support right now are those who are upset about the results,” Ms. Pertuz said. “But I am aware that we have staff and students who are happy about the results.”

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************

http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/29922/

John F

Re: Trump Win Triggers Cornell Cry-In, Play-Doh Sessions

Post by John F » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:29 am

Naturally, the Journal would like to belittle liberally-oriented students as essentially children. Actually, for many twenty-somethings, Bernie Sanders rather than Hillary Clinton was their pied piper. But I can identify with their distress. Since Tuesday, I've had a strange feeling that this isn't my country any more. I had that feeling once before, in 1968, when the King and Kennedy assassinations made me seriously consider living abroad. This feeling of loss will go away before long, but there it is. At least I live in a city that went 4 to 1 against Trump, and my senators and congressman are Democrats, so I don't feel surrounded by the enemy. But my feeling about the country as a whole is something like that.
John Francis

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:17 pm

Cuyahoga County went 3-1 for Hillary. I went for Hillary. But I still feel surrounded by the enemy. Toys R Us is all sold out of Play-Doh and I'm allergic to dogs and cats. My wife tried a cry-in but is still sick to her stomach. My next-door neighbor was toasting the first woman POTUS Tuesday morning. Haven't seen her since. I think we all have Post Trumpatic Stress Disorder.

Modernistfan

Post by Modernistfan » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:48 pm

My wife and I went to Sabbath services at our synagogue Friday night (a Reform synagogue). Most people were very upset. However, as those of you who read my prior posts will recall, I had a sinking feeling that this would happen. Progressives have to organize; it is not enough to just have ethnic minorities and affluent cultural liberals behind them, and we need to bring the white working class back. Take, for example, the (hypothetical) case of Joe Smith, who had worked for 25 years at a furniture factory in Kokomo, Indiana. He was making a good living, maybe as much as $60,000 or more, but the company shifted production to Mexico, China, or Vietnam, and the plant closed. Today, Mr. Smith is working at Walmart or flipping burgers. Hillary didn't even attempt to talk to such people or attempt to offer them some path whereby they could get back on track. The Democrats also drastically overstated the support from white college graduates. Undoubtedly, they had the support of graduates from elite schools, who were working at major Wall Street law firms, trading derivatives at Goldman Sachs, working at a major Hollywood studio, or working for Google, Facebook, or Genentech. But what about the graduate from Southwest Texas State who basically spent the four years majoring in drinking and, even though he (far more likely than "she" in this context) graduated, is stuck in a more or less meh job? I have been reading commentary from Robert Reich about some of these issues.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:58 pm

Modernistfan wrote: Progressives have to organize; it is not enough to just have ethnic minorities and affluent cultural liberals behind them, and we need to bring the white working class back . . . The Democrats also drastically overstated the support from white college graduates.
And overstated the support from women and even Hispanics. Lost 60% of white Catholics! That is a stunner.

I completely agree about the working class. Barack Obama won them twice, calling into question the view of those who invoke racism as the core explanation for the Dems' defeat. Being from Ohio, I worried a lot about this state's once Democratic eastern corridor and about western Pennsylvania right on my doorstep, but I certainly didn't see Michigan or Wisconsin coming. Despite some nagging fears, I thought Hillary would pull off a narrow win and that her policies would eventually help the working class despite her being a flawed candidate. Now we shall see. Trump has a year or two to produce, even Giuliani says that, and if he doesn't, there will be hell to pay. He'll probably govern as if he had won in a landslide. On the Dem side of the street, I read that Reich is calling for a third party if the party doesn't move toward progressivism. Will our polarization become even more extreme? I fear it.

John F

Post by John F » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:30 pm

Since Trump doesn't have an actual program to ameliorate the distress of the working class, and the congressional Republicans have never cared about them at all, I don't see how anything constructive can happen. But even if it doesn't, Trump has promised a lot of other destructive things he really can do and that the congressional Republicans will support, so I wouldn't bet on the electorate turning against him. For that, the Democratic candidate would have to develop a program or programs that have a credible prospect of success without complex intellectual pleading - and the voters have to pay attention to programs, as they did not on Tuesday.

There was a segment in today's CBS Sunday Morning in which Ted Koppel went to a stricken former coal town in West Virginia and talked with a number of voters and one non-voter. Things are really desperate there, neither Democrats nor Republicans have done a thing to help for a decade or more, so most of them voted for Trump because nothing else had worked.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-view-of ... l-country/
John Francis

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:54 pm

Someone on TV, I can't remember who, described these areas as looking like the aftermath of a neutron bomb. That fits with what I have seen along the Ohio River in south-eastern Ohio and across the border in West Virginia. Thought I was in another country. Also in parts of the North Carolina Piedmont where my daughter used to teach. I don't blame these folks for feeling betrayed. Yes, Trump can absolutely do a great deal of damage all by his lonesome. The word today is he plans to deport or jail 2-3 million people right off the bat. We'll soon find out whether he's truly been touched by the people at his rallies and what he will do when he runs up against social engineers like Ryan, McConnell, et al. I'm looking at his pick for Chief of Staff as the first sign. If he gives Priebus the nod, to me that's an indication that he's going to be led around by the nose by the party big-wigs he professes to despise.

Oops, the NYT just reported that indeed he picked Priebus as chief of staff. Bannon as chief adviser. Supposedly an equal partnership.

John F

Post by John F » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:50 pm

There was talk that Bannon might be chief of staff. Even Priebus would be an improvement on that; he's merely a yes man. Now I wonder who the Republicans will pick to run the RNC?
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:10 pm

John F wrote: At least I live in a city that went 4 to 1 against Trump, and my senators and congressman are Democrats, so I don't feel surrounded by the enemy. But my feeling about the country as a whole is something like that.
I'm dismayed too about our country-especially where we live-still somehow we got rid of Scott Garrett! Regards, Len :(

Modernistfan

Post by Modernistfan » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:20 pm

Very interesting commentary. One of the huge issues is how we can get these displaced workers retrained. Even if Kia (say), built a plant in Kokomo to build that new small turbocharged sports car that I have been reading about (and that I perhaps would like to buy), people like my hypothetical Mr. Smith would be unlikely candidates for jobs in the new plant because of a lack of robotics and computer skills. I agree that racism is not really the issue behind Hillary's weak performance. After all, Obama not only carried Ohio, Michigan, and Wisconsin twice, he also carried Iowa, which has a relatively small African-American population and a small Hispanic population, twice as well.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:30 am

Modernistfan wrote:displaced workers
Decaying infrastructure. Rebuild and modernize our roads, rail lines, bridges, public transport, airports, etc. Years of work there for the foreseeable future and startup time would be faster than retraining older workers for manufacturing. Would Trump join with the Dems to do this? Will he make good on his pledge to stand with the 31,000 people who supposedly came to his last rally in Michigan at one in the morning? I am not betting on it.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:49 am

jserraglio wrote:Decaying infrastructure. Rebuild and modernize our roads, rail lines, bridges, airports, etc. Years of work there for the foreseeable future and startup time would be faster than retraining older workers for manufacturing.
Maybe he can get something done in this area that Obama couldn't thanks to the obstructionist Republicans! Regards, Len

"President-elect Donald Trump said in his victory speech following the election on Tuesday that a major focus of his administration will be upgrading America’s ailing transportation infrastructure and creating jobs in the process. “We are going to … rebuild our highways, bridges, tunnels, airports,” he said.

“We’re going to rebuild our infrastructure, which will become, by the way, second to none,” Trump added. “And we will put millions of our people to work as we rebuild it.” But the problem is (and always has been) how do we pay for it, especially with a tax-adverse Republican congress in power.

Trump’s solution: Using other people’s money. Specifically, relying on public-private partnerships (P3s) to fix the nation’s long-neglected infrastructure.

Trump plans to encourage $1 trillion in private sector infrastructure spending via $140 billion in tax credits for the companies that invest in infrastructure construction. That’s far short of the $3.6 trillion the American Society of Civil Engineers estimates it would take to significantly raise the grade (currently a D+) of the U.S. transportation infrastructure."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/dougnewcomb ... 30f62f2817

david johnson

Post by david johnson » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:02 am

Those college students have shocked me, and their profs should be docked pay for classes they cancelled.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:34 am

david johnson wrote:Those college students have shocked me, and their profs should be docked pay for classes they cancelled.
I didn't know, but am just learning, that stress-reducing "safe zones", complete with kitty & puppy petting zoos, Play-Doh and coloring books, are not uncommon on campuses nowadays. They were in place well before the Trump tsunami struck. These days, I think I need one for myself.

david johnson

Post by david johnson » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:01 am

jserraglio wrote:
david johnson wrote:Those college students have shocked me, and their profs should be docked pay for classes they cancelled.
I didn't know, but am just learning, that stress-reducing "safe zones", complete with kitty & puppy petting zoos, Play-Doh and coloring books, are not uncommon on campuses nowadays. They were in place well before the Trump tsunami struck. These days, I think I need one for myself.
We'll start the CMG safe zone! Nothing but old Muzak recordings to ease ones mind to numbness...lol

dulcinea

Post by dulcinea » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:10 am

John F wrote:Naturally, the Journal would like to belittle liberally-oriented students as essentially children. Actually, for many twenty-somethings, Bernie Sanders rather than Hillary Clinton was their pied piper. But I can identify with their distress. Since Tuesday, I've had a strange feeling that this isn't my country any more.
That's just it, Herr Francis: the USA does not belong to you, and the fifty states and the District are not obligated to obey your whims.
Do you want the USA to be a one party monopoly, like the Mexico of the Partido Revolucionario Institucional? The corruption brought about by that monopoly is one of the principal reasons why today's M is a hell hole from which its citizens are desperate to escape.
Let every thing that has breath praise the Lord! Alleluya!