Comcast Not Particularly Great News

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

Comcast Not Particularly Great News

Post by lennygoran » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:29 am

Yeah I'm whining-sure didn't need this "free" upgrade especially since it won't be free for me. Regards, Len :(

Replacing Your TV Boxes and Modems - FAQs

Visit the Equipment Update page and log in. Once we verify your account, we will send out your new equipment.

Learn about updating your equipment now to get the most out of your XFINITY service. Your equipment update is on us.
FAQs About Updating Your TV Boxes and/or Modems
Why am I being asked to replace my equipment?
To provide you with better services, we have upgraded our network and older devices like yours can't keep up with new features. As a result, your devices need to be replaced to be able to use today's latest technology. That's why we'd like to replace the equipment in your home with new equipment.

How do I replace my equipment?
You can choose one of these four options to get your new equipment:

Visit the Equipment Update page and log in. Once we verify your account, we will send out your new equipment.
Call us at 1-800-XFINITY to place an order, ask questions or schedule a professional installation. (An additional fee may apply.)
For TV boxes, just use your own TV! Go to channel 1995 and follow the on-screen instructions to get a new TV box shipped to your home.
Visit us to exchange your existing equipment at an XFINITY Store or Customer Service Center.

How much will my new equipment cost?
We've made it easy to update your equipment and we will send you everything you need right to your home - on us. If you install the new TV box or modem yourself, there is no charge. We can also schedule a professional installation. (An additional fee may apply.)

What happens if I don't replace my equipment?
We're making important updates to improve your entertainment experience. One or more of your TV boxes and/or modems will need to be replaced with a newer one to support these updates.

TV Box: If you don't replace your TV box, you may begin to lose HD channels or in some cases, all channels.
Modem: If you don't replace your modem, you won't get access to the latest security updates and may not experience the fastest in-home WiFi.

What do I need to do with the old equipment once I receive my new device(s)?
There are three options for returning your equipment:

By mail: Use the return label in your Self Installation Kit.
In store: Exchange your existing equipment at an XFINITY Store or Customer Service Center.
By appointment: If your new equipment is professionally installed, your technician will take your existing equipment.

Note: There is a charge for unreturned equipment. Please return your old equipment to us within 30 days of your new equipment arriving.

I have more than one TV box - how do I know which one(s) must be replaced?
Simply tune to channel 1995 on each of your TVs and follow the on-screen instructions. It will let you know if that TV box is compatible with the upcoming changes or needs to be replaced. (Digital adapters - devices that are approximately the size of a deck of cards - will not need to be replaced.)

If you are eligible for X1, we will replace all of your TV boxes for a whole home update.

What happens if I have a DVR?
For those of you with a DVR, saved recordings will not transfer and recordings for future programs will need to be reset on the new TV box. Please see Record a Program on X1 for more information on how to set show recordings.

How quickly will I get my new equipment?
If you choose to have your equipment mailed to you, you should receive your new equipment in three to five business days. If we have a confirmed email on file, you'll receive a tracking number.

If you have any additional questions, please give us a call at 1-800-XFINITY and mention "equipment update."

John F

Re: Comcast Not Particularly Great News

Post by John F » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:52 am

Why won't the upgrade be free for you? What you quote doesn't mention any additional charge for the equipment or the service.

Maybe you can skip the upgrade, if you don't need these unnamed "improved services" and if you don't "lose HD channels or in some cases, all channels." If that happens, you can upgrade then - or maybe change your service provider, if Time Warner Cable now serves your area (it's being renamed Spectrum).

I'd phone Comcast customer service and get them to spell it out with reference to the specific hardware you now have, whether you must upgrade to keep the service you now have, and exactly what you'll gain and lose if you do or you don't.
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:36 am

John F wrote:Why won't the upgrade be free for you? What you quote doesn't mention any additional charge for the equipment or the service.

Maybe you can skip the upgrade, if you don't need these unnamed "improved services" and if you don't "lose HD channels or in some cases, all channels." If that happens, you can upgrade then - or maybe change your service provider, if Time Warner Cable now serves your area (it's being renamed Spectrum).

I'd phone Comcast customer service and get them to spell it out with reference to the specific hardware you now have, whether you must upgrade to keep the service you now have, and exactly what you'll gain and lose if you do or you don't.
John thanks-on the payment they say: "We've made it easy to update your equipment and we will send you everything you need right to your home - on us. If you install the new TV box or modem yourself, there is no charge. We can also schedule a professional installation. An additional fee may apply."

At this stage in my life and with the tangled wires I have in my recreation area I just feel I can't make the change of equipment myself-my DVR is also attached to a VCR as well as the TV-it's a problem for me to do this on my own-their technicians were able to set it up.

Also my current DVR is 90 % filled and the programs will be lost if I don't watch them before the replacement.

And this veiled threat concerns me too:
"TV Box: If you don't replace your TV box, you may begin to lose HD channels or in some cases, all channels.
Modem: If you don't replace your modem, you won't get access to the latest security updates and may not experience the fastest in-home WiFi.

Calling them sounds like a good idea-I'll also look into Spectrum--I suppose I could tough it out and see what the consequences will be. A letter they sent put a Jan 4, 2017 on this to get the upgrade on them. This is reminding me of the deadline Microsoft put on getting the upgrade from Windows8.1 to Windows 10--I still am using 8.1 and am very happy with it. Regards, Len [troubled by change] :(

John F

Post by John F » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:00 am

Why not try to install the new hardware yourself? It may not be as tricky as you think. If there's a problem, then you can get a service call.

As for that "veiled threat," which I'd already mentioned in my reply, note it says "may," not "will." I suggested you ask Comcast customer service about that.

You'll lose those DVR recordings anyway when the hard drive in your TV box fails - that's happened to me - so if it really matters, you shouldn't get so far behind and had better get caught up.
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:15 am

John F wrote:Why not try to install the new hardware yourself? It may not be as tricky as you think. If there's a problem, then you can get a service call... note it says "may," not "will." I suggested you ask Comcast customer service about that...You'll lose those DVR recordings anyway when the hard drive in your TV box fails - that's happened to me
In the past I've made these cumbersome connections myself-it's just gets harder and harder. I will call Comcast-also on the letter it said one can tune your TV to station 1995 and follow prompts to see if "your TV Box is compatible with the upcoming changes or needs to be replaced." Tried it and got an error message on the screen-definitely will call them. Didn't know about the problem with the boxes hard drive--thanks again. Regards, Len

John F

Post by John F » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:09 pm

The DVR uses essentially the same technology as your computer, with a hard drive to record and play back data. Being mechanical, the drive will eventually wear out, and sometimes it will crash even sooner. If you have a way to record programs you want to keep onto a more permanent medium such as a CD-ROM, and I think you've said you do, such a backup may be worth doing.
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:02 pm

John F wrote: If you have a way to record programs you want to keep onto a more permanent medium such as a CD-ROM, and I think you've said you do, such a backup may be worth doing.
Thanks, I'll have to look into this-right now I save DVR items like the Thirteen Met Operas to a VHS cassette-as for transferring DVR material to a CDR I don't know how to do that. It would be nice to be able to do. My CDR work is done from upstairs where the computer is-the TV and DVR are downstairs. Regards, Len

John F

Post by John F » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:24 pm

CD-ROM, video cassette, it doesn't matter, just get it off the DVR's hard drive onto a medium that will last.
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:05 am

John F wrote:CD-ROM, video cassette, it doesn't matter, just get it off the DVR's hard drive onto a medium that will last.
Well I do that with the Met Opera Broadcasts-there's nothing else worth that kind of effort-nice shows but nothing I want to take that much time copying-the VHS cassettes take 6 hours of material on them-you can't play your TV on any other station while copying them and the 90% of DVR shows would represent many many hours of such recording-I'll know more when I call them today-I may just take one of your suggestions and tough it out and see what the ramifications of doing that are. Regards, Len

PS-alot of what I have on the DVR will probably be repeated--shows from the Smithsoneon, from PBS like the Mysteries, the Investigation Discovery Videos.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:03 am

John F wrote: or maybe change your service provider, if Time Warner Cable now serves your area (it's being renamed Spectrum).
Clicked on Spectrum [Time Warner] and got this message. Regards, Len :( [from the boondocks]

Sorry, Charter Services are not Available.

Charter does not provide service at this address. Please try an alternative address, or find services from other providers in your area.
We’ve found your cable provider!
You’re one click away from getting the best services for your new home.

Great news! We’ve found a match plus special offers on reliably fast Internet, tons of HD and smarter Phone.
1-844-651-4630
Click Here

Try another Address
Go back to the homepage

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:24 am

John F wrote:Why not try to install the new hardware yourself?
Yesterday I got my chance-I had been watching from the DVR a great show from PBS Thirteen on the protests involving the famous movie The Birth of a Nation but when it ended I noticed the DVR guide was not loading all the show listings on the guide-too many "to be announced" instead of actual listing-I tried the old trick of unplugging the DVR and letting it download the guide from the start-that had always worked in the past but not this time-I called Comcast-they said I needed to get a newer DVR from them-I was annoyed but since Comcast has a facility right in our town I went over and got it-it was a bit challenging for me but I got the new DVR installed--Sue helped-- and it seems to be working pretty well but there will be a little bit of a learning curve. I had to turn in the old DVR so I lost some valuable shows which I do hope PBS will repeat at some point. Of course a lot of shows that I lost may be available on/line. Regards, Len

John F

Post by John F » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:08 am

Well done! I was sure you could do it.

As for those shows, you may find that some have been uploaded to YouTube, and others are on web sites where you can view them as you please. (I always accentuate the positive... :) )
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:15 am

John F wrote: As for those shows, you may find that some have been uploaded to YouTube
Yes that's the best choice for me because if it's on you tube I can connect wirelessly via my roku to the large TV downstairs wirelessly and then sit in a nice comfortable chair and watch on a big screen. Regards, Len :D