Error Message

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

Error Message

Post by lennygoran » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:29 am

Every once in a while CMG doesn't connect but this is the first time this message popped up on the screen-now all seems well again! Regards, Len :D

John F

Re: Error Message

Post by John F » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:15 am

I've never seen that one before. My guess is that it's not a new kind of problem but a user-friendly message in place of the standard message you've seen before. As for "a couple of minutes," that's hedged by the weasel word "should" - as you know, it can take longer, including hours depending on the cause.
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:19 am

John F wrote:My guess is that it's not a new kind of problem but a user-friendly message in place of the standard message you've seen before
Yeah that makes sense to me. Regards, Len

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:32 pm

As you probably already know, page requests get bounced around to various servers on the Web before being fulfilled. In this case one of those "infielders" probably booted a routine ground ball.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:42 pm

jserraglio wrote:As you probably already know, page requests get bounced around to various servers on the Web before being fulfilled. In this case one of those "infielders" probably booted a routine ground ball.
Thanks for the info-I didn't know that-I got into computers late in the game. Regards, Len

Belle

Post by Belle » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:00 am

I post on one messageboard and for over a week I'm only getting the same page with the same information on it. No updated posts are showing up. Yet on my phone I can get the up-to-date page and all the latest postings. On this computer it is frozen on the same time and day! Grrr.

Computers are getting harder, not easier, and are very very far from user-friendly.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:54 am

Belle wrote:I post on one messageboard and for over a week I'm only getting the same page with the same information on it. No updated posts are showing up. Yet on my phone I can get the up-to-date page and all the latest postings.
Belle I'm not too wise on the internet but do you think it's something like your phone and computer have 2 different servers? Can you email an administrator of the messageboard for help? If you come up a with a solution I'd like to know what is was? Regards, Len

John F

Post by John F » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:00 am

Belle wrote:I post on one messageboard and for over a week I'm only getting the same page with the same information on it. No updated posts are showing up. Yet on my phone I can get the up-to-date page and all the latest postings. On this computer it is frozen on the same time and day!
Make sure that the "address" (link) you use to contact the messageboard with your phone, is identical with the address used by your computer. If not, then change the link on your computer. That may or may not solve the problem but it's a necessary start.
John Francis

John F

Post by John F » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:08 am

lennygoran wrote:
jserraglio wrote:As you probably already know, page requests get bounced around to various servers on the Web before being fulfilled. In this case one of those "infielders" probably booted a routine ground ball.
Thanks for the info-I didn't know that-I got into computers late in the game. Regards, Len
For your general information, every time you connect with a web site or send/receive e-mail, at least three servers are involved. From your computer it goes to your internet service provider's server. That relays you to a Domain Name Server, which translates the link/address you want from plain English (more or less) to an Internet Protocal address, which looks something like this: 216.168.224.70. Having gotten the IP address, your ISP can send your request/e-mail to the server which hosts that web/e-mail address. If any of these servers has a problem, and I suppose there can be even more in the chain, that can stop you cold.
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:37 pm

John F wrote: For your general information, every time you connect with a web site or send/receive e-mail, at least three servers are involved. From your computer it goes to your internet service provider's server. That relays you to a Domain Name Server, which translates the link/address you want from plain English (more or less) to an Internet Protocal address, which looks something like this: 216.168.224.70.
Thanks, had no idea. Regards, Len

Belle

Post by Belle » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:27 am

(Runs hands through hair in act of desperation): "Why is it getting harder and not easier to use a computer? I'm losing interest!"

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:01 am

Belle wrote:(Runs hands through hair in act of desperation): "Why is it getting harder and not easier to use a computer? I'm losing interest!"
Belle for me it's gotten better than ever-doesn't mean it's always smooth for me but over the period when I first got into computers and that was very late my Lenovo all in one with a 23 inch screen is very good. Regards, Len

Belle

Post by Belle » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:27 am

It's not just computers, it seems. It's 3.25am Sydney time and my husband is outside trying to shut down our screeching house alarm system and it just will not stop!!! They are infernal contraptions I'd never recommend to anybody. We arrived home yesterday from the south coast to find it screeching and thought we'd fixed the problem (OMG, the neighbours!!!) until it just started again at this hour.

Bring back the horse and buggy!!

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:23 pm

You want "hard"? Try my first PC, an Atari 800 with a 48K RAM plugin module. With it and a text-only Interface, I navigated what no one back in the late 80s called the internet. THAT was hard.

John F

Post by John F » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:32 pm

My first computer was an IBM PC running PC-DOS, a text-only interface which was useless until you typed in the right magic words. I learned DOS and created batch files to make it easier, but it was never easy.
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:15 am

John F wrote: I learned DOS and created batch files to make it easier, but it was never easy.
A good friend of mine kept prodding me to get a computer but when he showed me his DOS I took a look and told him to forget it-then Windows with its user friendliness finally got me to take the plunge-it was in the late 1990's--an IBM Aptiva. Regards, Len