British Money I Have Here In US

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

British Money I Have Here In US

Post by lennygoran » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:35 am

I found out the British are going to make certain money of theirs I have obsolete-I have 130 pounds-5 20's pound notes and two 10 pound notes-also 250 cents but that's not important. Is their anyway I can get these notes converted to US money or am I just out the 130 pounds--it looks like only my two 10 pounders are in the most danger over the next few months but I'm not sure.. Regards, Len

"The £10 note will be issued in September 2017 and the £20 note by 2020. You can continue to spend paper £5 notes as usual until 5 May 2017. After this they will cease to be legal tender."

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknote ... fault.aspx

John F

Re: British Money I Have Here In US

Post by John F » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:52 am

Take it to a major international bank. Barclays Bank has a New York branch at 745 7th Avenue; they should either change it for you or advise you what to do.
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:23 pm

John F wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:52 am
Take it to a major international bank. Barclays Bank has a New York branch at 745 7th Avenue; they should either change it for you or advise you what to do.
Thanks, I'm gonna call them tomorrow-them or other international banks-as it happens we'll be in NYC this week and next. I did some googling and found this list of international banks-some of them are banks I have dealings with:

http://www.relbanks.com/worlds-top-bank ... onal-banks

Regards, Len

John F

Post by John F » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:48 pm

For what it's worth, I'd suggest using a bank with headquarters in England, as the fee for the exchange may be lower since you're selling their own currency. Or maybe not, it's just a suggestion. That's why I suggested Barclays in particular. Lloyds is also on that list.
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:28 pm

John F wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:48 pm
For what it's worth, I'd suggest using a bank with headquarters in England, as the fee for the exchange may be lower since you're selling their own currency. Or maybe not, it's just a suggestion. That's why I suggested Barclays in particular. Lloyds is also on that list.
Thanks, I'll check this out tomorrow. Regards, Len

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:09 am

John F wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:48 pm
Or maybe not, it's just a suggestion. That's why I suggested Barclays in particular. Lloyds is also on that list.
A followup-I'll call some banks but I'll also be calling here. Regards, Len

CXI has numerous customer locations throughout North America where clients can exchange foreign currency. CXI operates more than 35 company owned retail branches, affiliate retail locations, and agent locations, most of which are open seven days a week during all mall hours. CXI's retail locations offer foreign currency and American Express travelers checks on demand (no waiting) for most currencies. In addition to foreign currency banknotes and traveler's cheques, CXI issues Multi-Currency Cash Passport Prepaid MasterCards and sells gold bullion American Eagle coins, Canadian Maple Leaf coins, and Royal Canadian Mint bars, along with other products tailored to each market it services.

CXI's foreign currency exchange rates at our company-owned locations are better than local banks and much better than the airport exchange rates. CXI has a Best Rate Guarantee* that it will match or beat any local bank for the same foreign currency and exchange amount on the same day and time of the exchange. This way, CXI's clients will know they are always getting a great exchange value along with the added convenience of great customer service seven days a week. Call your closest location to reserve your foreign currency today.

Grand Central Station
Address: 122 East 42nd Street, (42nd St & Lexington Ave, Inside Apple Bank), New York, New York 10168
Phone: 212-972-6800
Hours of operation: Mon-Fri: 8:30am-9pm, Sat: 9am-9pm, Sun: 11am-8pm EST
Email: grandcentral@ceifx.com

John F

Post by John F » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:12 am

For those who don't know, including me, CXI stands for Currency Exchange International. By and large, when I've traveled, the rate of exchange such companies offer is worse than at a home bank for one of the currencies involved. CXI doesn't say they will exchange foreign currency for dollars, just the other way around, but presumably they do. I'll be interested to know what you do and how it works out.
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:03 am

John F wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:12 am
I'll be interested to know what you do and how it works out.
John before making that call I called our main bank Wells Fargo and was told any local branch would give me the American money but only for the bills-for 120 pounds I'd get about $130 in American money back-lower than the true exchange value. Now it turns out a trip to London may very well be coming up for us so for now we're going to hold on to what we have in pounds-fortunately I have no 5 pound notes-just 10's and 20's.

The London bank says this:
"The £10 note will be issued in September 2017 and the £20 note by 2020. You can continue to spend paper £5 notes as usual until 5 May 2017. After this they will cease to be legal tender."

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknote ... fault.aspx

Regards, Len