Hi Fi

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Belle

Hi Fi

Post by Belle » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:35 am

I've spent quite a lot on money in the last year on a great hi fi system. No problems with the Amplifier or speakers but the CD players have been totally shocking. First, Unison Research; hybrid valve unit, chewed my CDs and didn't play 25% of the time. Sent back to be fixed and returned only to have the same problem. I took it back after 10 months and said "I want it gone". Big mistake; I bought a Densen 420XS for over a thousand dollars more. Had it 2 weeks and trouble. Stops playing in the middle of discs, mis-tracks and today a big 'pop' in the middle of a piece. So, two 'boutique' CD players and neither of them any good and I'm out of pocket many thousands. So anxious about it I refuse to play anything on it and in a message from Denmark the maker suggests it might be the disc. When it's happened with 3 different discs? A small company in Denmark is Densen. I wrote about it on a hi-fi forum and the owner of Densen came there and said he needed to do 'tests'. "Lifetime warranty" but whose lifetime; mine or the company? At this rate they aren't going to last 5 minutes and, anyway, on close inspection just about everything ISN'T covered by the warranty anyway. They've been in business 20 years and I wonder how they keep going!!

Warning; don't buy expensive CD players, especially boutique companies. Stick with the usual Japanese models. I'm going to have to try and sell it and get what I can because it's giving me a headache. I don't want the back and forth of postage to Denmark so may have to cut my losses. The dealer, Sydney Hi-Fi, is totally useless. I don't think it's their fault but they're obviously out of their league selling fancy, expensive equipment which doesn't work!!

Do these businesses, in the age of the internet, seriously think they can get away with selling rubbish? I did research the player before buying but couldn't find anything. Hi-fi forums tell a very different story - so much so that the owner of Densen was alerted to my complaint and directed his comments straight to me. He has a reason to be concerned!!

John F

Re: Hi Fi

Post by John F » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:56 am

That's weird. When I need to play a CD, I stick it in the disc drive in my computer, which still works flawlessly after 10 years' use. The idea of a $1000 CD player baffles me; why?
John Francis

Belle

Re: Hi Fi

Post by Belle » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:01 pm

How about $4,500??? My previous Sony lasted 20 years (though the computer on it refused to perform certain functions after about 15!). I am after sound quality and you certainly do get much more 'information' on the more expensive CD players. I had one fabulous recording (in a boxed set) that refused to play on the Sony but works like a charm on the new one. And it sounds absolutely stunning!! So, the difference is very obvious, but the problems.....!! I'm on the case anyway and have begun to think about this a bit tangentially.