"Professor" Irwin Corey died at 102 Feb 7, 2017

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

RebLem
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112, 2 blocks west of the Breaking Bad carwash.

"Professor" Irwin Corey died at 102 Feb 7, 2017

Post by RebLem » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:55 pm

​ Here's a February 7, 2017 obit which I missed at the time. "Professor" Irwin Cory dies at 102.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/07/arts ... d=fb-share
​ Corey was one of the stars in a brief series called DOC which lasted only a little more than one season in 1975-6. Bernard Hughes played the doc and Nurse Tully was played by the incomparable Mary Wickes. Corey played a patient who for some fool reason was always hanging around the office. The reasons for his constant presence were never explained and represent a gaping weakness in the plot line. But it was a wonderful comedy series which turned out to be the victim of incompetent executives who thought wrongly that they were good concept people who could improve the series. They screwed it up with drastic changes in Season 2 which did not appeal, and the executives, as they will, blamed the series, not themselves, and the damn thing died and was cancelled a few episodes into Season 2.

In any event, in one episode, Nurse Tully enters an examining room in which Corey is seated, without knocking. He objects, saying, "I could have been naked!" Mary Wickes replied, "Don't worry about it. When you've been a nurse as long as I have, nothin' turns your stomach!"
Don't drink and drive. You might spill it.--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, former Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.

arepo

Re: "Professor" Irwin Corey died at 102 Feb 7, 2017

Post by arepo » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:29 pm

Loved to see Corey. He was a very funny and unusual comedy character.

I remember his opening lines were words like, "However" or "Nevertheless".. :D :lol:
They don't make them like Irwin any more.
Rest in peace.

cliftwood