Peter Hall RIP

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

Peter Hall RIP

Post by lennygoran » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:40 am

lennygoran

Re: Peter Hall RIP

Post by lennygoran » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:57 am

I put this in the pub in error but couldn'the delete it-now I put in classical music. Len

John F

Post by John F » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:23 am

Peter Hall was mainly a theatre director - a founder of the Royal Shakespeare Company - so he belongs in both places. He did a fair amount of opera, but wasn't nearly as good at it as with spoken drama, from Shakespeare to Harold Pinter. The last of his productions that I saw was "Waiting for Godot" in London. He was the lesser Peter (compared with Peter Brook, also involved with creating the RSC), but even so among the most important stage directors of his generation.
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:43 am

John F wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:23 am
Peter Hall was mainly a theatre director - a founder of the Royal Shakespeare Company - so he belongs in both places. He did a fair amount of opera, but wasn't nearly as good at it as with spoken drama, from Shakespeare to Harold Pinter. The last of his productions that I saw was "Waiting for Godot" in London. He was the lesser Peter (compared with Peter Brook, also involved with creating the RSC), but even so among the most important stage directors of his generation.
I see over 700 hits for him at the Met archive site. Len

http://archives.metoperafamily.org/archives/frame.htm

John F

Post by John F » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:53 pm

If you look at the actual listings, you'll see that almost none of those "hits" are for Peter Hall. Many are for the costume designer Peter J. Hall and for other Peters such as Peter Brook. Hall's only Met productions were Verdi's Macbeth, which nobody liked and didn't last long, and Bizet's Carmen, in which he miscast his wife Maria Ewing in the title role - that didn't last long either. Hall wasn't the Met's first choice for either; they approached Laurence Olivier to direct Macbeth but that didn't work out, and I forget who they really wanted for Carmen.
John Francis