What is "the cloud"?

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Post Reply
John F
Posts: 18872
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:41 am
Location: New York, NY

What is "the cloud"?

Post by John F » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:07 am

In computer talk, that is. I had a kind of general idea, but the lead story in yesterday's "CBS Sunday Morning" showed and told what it is. Apparently Amazon owns most of it.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cloud-comp ... -virginia/
John Francis

lennygoran
Posts: 12874
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: new york city

Re: What is "the cloud"?

Post by lennygoran » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:25 am

Thanks for this article-I've been using the cloud for about 6 months now for my photos that I take with my smartphone-I take the photos and have them sent to the cloud-then I can also download them from the cloud to my tablet-works pretty darn good most of the time. I also use my camera for photos but to get those transferred to my tablet I'd need a new wifi sd card that would link up with my tablet-the wifi card in the camera right now only linked up with my older tablet which after quite a few years broke. Len

John F
Posts: 18872
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:41 am
Location: New York, NY

Re: What is "the cloud"?

Post by John F » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:26 am

I keep all my files on my own computer and hard drives, as I don't access them from anywhere but home. When/if I get a smartphone, I may look into cloud storage for any files I might want to view, such as photos - but I'll always keep a copy stored locally too. From the "Sunday Morning" piece it seems unlikely they'd be lost in a crash, indeed more likely that my own hardware will crash, but old habits die hard.
John Francis

jbuck919
Military Band Specialist
Posts: 26092
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Stony Creek, New York

Re: What is "the cloud"?

Post by jbuck919 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:42 am

Everything that is posted online has a permanent record. It cannot be burnt in the stove like so many of Brahms's compositions. Even Judge Judy (don't ask) accepts this kind of evidence when she will not accept a written letter. I assure you, there is no one among us who has not posted something somewhere that could be used against us in a court of law, even on a trumped-up charge, if the police had time to search it out.

There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.
-- Johann Sebastian Bach

Belle
Posts: 638
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:45 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: What is "the cloud"?

Post by Belle » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:56 pm

jbuck919 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:42 am
Everything that is posted online has a permanent record. It cannot be burnt in the stove like so many of Brahms's compositions. Even Judge Judy (don't ask) accepts this kind of evidence when she will not accept a written letter. I assure you, there is no one among us who has not posted something somewhere that could be used against us in a court of law, even on a trumped-up charge, if the police had time to search it out.
Absolutely agree and yet there are sad trolls out there (even on music boards!) who write THE most embarrassing and revealing things without any sense of self-awareness whatsoever. And some of it would be libelous, yes. And they hide in plain sight behind fake names and infantile avatars.

lennygoran
Posts: 12874
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: new york city

Re: What is "the cloud"?

Post by lennygoran » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:36 pm

John F wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:26 am
I keep all my files on my own computer and hard drives, as I don't access them from anywhere but home. When/if I get a smartphone, I may look into cloud storage for any files I might want to view, such as photos - but I'll always keep a copy stored locally too. From the "Sunday Morning" piece it seems unlikely they'd be lost in a crash, indeed more likely that my own hardware will crash, but old habits die hard.
John I have my files on my computer and on 2 external hard drives-you gave me the idea for 2 external hard drives-I like the cloud too-I just downloaded all the fall foliage photos I took today from my smartphone to my tablet from storm king art center-worked nicely! Len

Image

jbuck919
Military Band Specialist
Posts: 26092
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Stony Creek, New York

Re: What is "the cloud"?

Post by jbuck919 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:08 am

lennygoran wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:36 pm
John F wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:26 am
I keep all my files on my own computer and hard drives, as I don't access them from anywhere but home. When/if I get a smartphone, I may look into cloud storage for any files I might want to view, such as photos - but I'll always keep a copy stored locally too. From the "Sunday Morning" piece it seems unlikely they'd be lost in a crash, indeed more likely that my own hardware will crash, but old habits die hard.
John I have my files on my computer and on 2 external hard drives-you gave me the idea for 2 external hard drives-I like the cloud too-I just downloaded all the fall foliage photos I took today from my smartphone to my tablet from storm king art center-worked nicely! Len

Image
This was once my backyard. I rode a bike from where I lived to there. People don't know. Sigh. Sorry I could not join you.

There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.
-- Johann Sebastian Bach

lennygoran
Posts: 12874
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: new york city

Re: What is "the cloud"?

Post by lennygoran » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:14 am

John I thought of you as we rode around-we had a beautiful day for storm king-today we head home-lots of rain-our timing was good-the tram ride around the entire sculpture garden was super-it's included in the admission price. They rent out bikes if you choose to ride around to explore the massive property-a good idea but we passed on this-don't even know if Sue and I still know how to ride bikes! Len :lol:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests