Establishing Perspective

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

RebLem
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112, 2 blocks west of the Breaking Bad carwash.

Establishing Perspective

Post by RebLem » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:32 pm

One of our big problems now is that too many people seem to have no sense of perspective. Ever since Flip Wilson introduced us to The Church of What's Happening Now, we have been sliding away from even the concept that the study of history and getting some historical perspective on today's events is even relevant or important.

A case in point:
​Oh, geez, I am really getting scared by all these dangerous people around the country who have no sense of history. I was just in an Audiophile group where someone talked about using a Fleetwood Mac song as a test record. Someone else chimed in that that was recorded "a really long time ago." I asked him if he had ever heard any of William Byrd's Masses.
Don't drink and drive. You might spill it.--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, former Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.