Jordan Peterson in Australia

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Belle

Jordan Peterson in Australia

Post by Belle » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:08 am

I'm looking forward to Monday night. He's an emotional man!! A combination of fragility and strength. (The video portion is below the podcast in this link):

https://www.3aw.com.au/podcast/jordan-b ... -millions/

Professor Peterson seems to be unavailable for his classes at University of Toronto because of his commitments and that's a great shame for many students of Psychology. I hope he can return to them soon. And he's hated by many people on the hard Left simply because he, through sheer force of his intellect, has essentially robbed them of any other weapons to fight him with - so hatred is the last tool they have left in the shed.

I've just come in and edited this to add something else. I found this article and what Peterson says exactly mirrors what I used to teach at school, well over a decade plus ago. It's good to find somebody else thinking the same thing and putting your own ideas into a more concrete form. This is the crux of what I taught:

"There’s a dark and a light in every bit of (that) narrative. It’s well balanced. And in the propagandistic story, you don’t see that. You see the darkness all being in one place and the light all being in one place."

http://time.com/5176537/jordan-peterson ... ie-disney/

In fact, what I told my students was "in any film where there is a controversial issue being depicted you need to be walking out of the theatre asking yourself what you would have done, said, thought etc. If this doesn't happen you've probably been propagandized".

Belle

Re: Jordan Peterson in Australia

Post by Belle » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:49 pm

We were at Dr. Peterson's lecture last night. We could only see about a dozen people our own age as about 85% of the audience were men, average age in the 30s - some sporting Peterson T-shirts and with assorted humorous memes written on them. Peterson was greeted with overwhelming cheers, whistling, clapping and a standing ovation from the noisy Sydney audience. Once he started speaking you could hear a pin drop!!

The evening had started with Bach on the piano, as well as one virtuosic piece by Ligeti. As the audience filed in it was greeted with this high quality music played extremely well. Even a question during the Q&A session afterwards was about the importance of classical music in the culture and the fact that it isn't taught anymore in schools. The questions were often extremely complex and delivered by highly articulate and well educated young people.

One Sydney university student posed a question about a really dodgy postmodern course which was offered in the Humanities - something about "un-learning" - and she wanted the Professor's advice on how to protest. The advice was predictably sound and useful - and delivered with aplomb and a wealth of experience.

Upon leaving the venue those audience members who, like us, couldn't wait around in the huge queue to have their books signed, all started talking enthusiastically on route to the carpark or public transport. The admiration and warmth was palpable.

Professor Peterson posted this article on his Twitter feed today, with a stinging rebuke of its contents: (The Guardian) "His generalizations about gender differences can sound kooky and maybe some of them are". Peterson has replied, "No they are most certainly not. They are based on scientific research that is as solid as it gets in the social sciences. Period". But if it suits your narrative print what you like in your paper!! Just don't expect it to have any credibility, that's all.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -seriously